Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

The question is in the title.

My first adventure game was spongebob squarepants: The movie. I know what you're not thinking. "isn't that an action-adventure game?" Well it seems the PC version the game is entirely different from it's console countertop. It's an adaptation of the movie in adventure game format. It's not really a great adventure game, but it introduced me to the genre, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Most of my early childhood was spent PC-less, so my exposure to the adventure game genre was pretty limited. Technically speaking, my first adventure game was Pink Panther's Passport to Peril, though I could never get it to run properly on our hand-me-down Windows 3.1 computer, and it almost always crashed not too long into the game.

While I was familiar with adventure games through second-hand exposure and was aware of how they worked, the first adventure game I actually put effort into playing was Grim Fandango, and even though I never quite got used to the control scheme, I loved it. After I finished that, I started digging through the backlog of LucasArts adventure games and the rest is history.

I have vague memories of playing something on my uncle's computer. I can't remember what it was though. I think I remember repeatedly dying in a funny way though.

Played quite a few text based adventures waaaaay back on my Zinclair ZX Spectrum (1985). Although, I didn't really know at the time that adventure games was its own genre, I just played them because they where fun.

First 2D graphic adventure - ooo.. can't really remember - must have been space quest on my Amiga 2000, I think. That's when I truly discovered the genre as something unique. After that i went on to all the other sierra games, lsl, kings quest etc, etc. Other games such as, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island quickly followed and the ball has just kept rolling since.

I didn't trade in my Amiga(s) for a PC until the year 2k. Only then could I catch up on all the wonderful PC-only adventures I had missed. One of the first being Grim Fandango of course.

Excellent topic!

My very first adventure game was "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade". I loved it, it was a great game. I remember being stuck in Venice for a year (!) because I did not know you had to fill a wine bottle in the fountain to use with the torch in the tomb...

Eventually I met someone who told me what to do and I finished the rest of the game on my own in 2 days :) Good times.

That's what was so great about adventure games back in the day. No internet, we were forced to be more resourceful and/or team up to solve puzzles :) I remember finishing Riven together with a friend, that was a tough one!

The first adventure game I ever played was Hero's Quest. One brief afternoon with the game was enough to sell me on the genre. A few months later I got Codename: Iceman ($80) which I played in state-of-the-art, HGA green and black.

This will be my very first Point & Click Adventure game. I do not cont the Back to the Future Installment from TellTale (somehow, even if it was guilty pleasure)

Monkey Island 2, complete with changing discs every few seconds, and a spinner thing you had to look up in order to combat piracy.

Great topic :-)

My very first Adventure was Maniac Mansion on C64. But I never finished it, because it was in english and I was like 10 or 11 and could barely read english (as english isn't my native language). None the less it was fun to put the hamster in the microwave, search for the chainsaw-fuel, etc :-)

Same goes for Zack McKracken and the Alien Mindbender.

So, since I never finished these two games back then and hardly understood everything in english I don't consider them to be my first adventure...

This goes to my alltime favourite and first adventure I completly understood (because it was in german) and finished: Simon the Sorcerer

I think my first exposure was King's Quest. Monkey 1&2 were the real clinchers that got me seeking every adventure game I could find, though.

Not sure. I think something on the PDP-11, so probably Adventure. But I might be mis-remembering.

Day of the Tentacle!

Er...unless those old games like Granny's Garden, Dinosaur Discovery and Bush Rescue count...don't remember enough details...

But Day of the Tentacle was definitely the first of that era of point and click adventure games. Someone let my brother and I play it a bit at their house, and then my brother and I decided we had to get it for ourselves. We bought the floppy disk version and spent HOURS trying to figure out how to get the voices to work! Wish our Dad had twigged that the sound files required wouldn't have fitted on floppy disks...we didn't find out for a looong time that only the CD version had recorded voices!

Great game.

I remember my father bringing his Mac home from work, with Déjà Vu on it.

Edit: the link refuses to work properly, but anyway you can find it on wiki under 'Déjà Vu (video game)'.

Does Mixed Up Mother Goose count as an adventure game? I had so much fun with that as a kid back in the day.

Otherwise, King's Quest V or Monkey Island 1 I think.

Does Mixed Up Mother Goose count as an adventure game? I had so much fun with that as a kid back in the day.

I think Mixed Up Mother Goose counts. The deluxe version was counted as an adventure game in the King's Quest anthology. The randomness of the puzzles makes them surprisingly replayable :D.

My first one was a game that I've never really heard anybody talk about. Got it sometime mid 90s based on cover art alone.

86821.jpg

Brand new in package was probably the best introduction I could've gotten. I love the dense absurdity in that game. I should say, that wasn't the cover art, but how many games allow you, nay, require you to travel to the title screen? Absolutely wonderful.

I later played Space Quest IV and the Neverhood. Got around to Secret of Monkey Island as my first LucasArts adventure game.

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbender on the c64. Yes, I'm old.

I got you beat.

It was Transylvania on the Apple II, a first-person text parser game that we had on the Apple at school. I never came anywhere close to actually beating it, I just liked interacting with things or trying to get funny responses from the game.

My grandfather (now 90 years old) is actually partly responsible for getting me into adventure games, oddly enough. He was a computer scientist since the early 50s, and he played games like Adventure and Zork back when they were mainframe games.

Around 1990 he showed me a game called Hugo's House of Horrors, which was a kind of Maniac Mansion-ish game, but with a Sierra-style text parser interface. This was the first adventure game I actually owned, and I loved it, and later got the two sequels. That's really where I became an adventure gamer. Myst, Space Quest IV, Under a Killing Moon, and Sam and Max followed when I got my 486, and then I was hooked for life.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also played Scarab of Ra when I was very young, which I believe was kind of half RPG half adventure game.

One game I remember fondly was Nine Princes in Amber. Wasn't my first game, but I enjoyed it, and was quite amazed that the graphics (which accompanies the text adventure) had some animation.

One game I remember fondly was Nine Princes in Amber. Wasn't my first game, but I enjoyed it, and was quite amazed that the graphics (which accompanies the text adventure) had some animation.

Oooooo I remember that game.

Mine crashed walking the pattern about 50% of the time but I kept doing it until I succeeded. It was pretty awesome after having read the books.

My first adventure game was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I was stuck in Grunwald Castle for the longest time when I kept losing fights against nazis (I actually gave up on the game in the early nineties, only to complete the game over five years later at a friend's house - he had a walkthrough! ;)).

It was either King's Quest or Space Quest. I think it was Space Quest. Maniac Mansion shortly after. I started quite early, though (4 years old). I have fond memories of that old Tandy 1000.

The first adventure game I remember the title of was the PS2 port of Escape from Monkey Island. I don't think it would hold up if I played it today.

Monkey Island I on a friends Computer. It was love at first sight.

Sign in to follow this