Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

I am kinda young so I've just caught the twilight of adventure games before they became a myth. I still liked them though and I have played a ton, non of which I rember the names of, granted I didn't really know English back then.

I think my first adventure game was called Schizm, I know that because:

A) It was transalted in Bulgarian so I could understand it.

B) I still have the 8 or so CDs that came with it.

C) It pissed me right off, so being stuck in the temple thingie was quite memorable.

But in the meantime I tried a lot of other adventure games I really liked them. They require a sense of awareness no other games do, and the exploration as the game progresses is extremely rewarding.

I started playing PC with 8 years. My first adventure game(s) were of course Dott (maniac mansion of course, too), Goblins 3 and Andromedas Erbe 2.

And much more including nintendo games (yea on the PC) and even a ego-shooter but I can´t remember.

And Dott is my alltime favorite no matter what happens and come next! So I really hope this game would be a Dott-like adventure game.

I am kinda young so I've just caught the twilight of adventure games before they became a myth. I still liked them though and I have played a ton, non of which I rember the names of, granted I didn't really know English back then.

C) It pissed me right off, so being stuck in the temple thingie was quite memorable.

But in the meantime I tried a lot of other adventure games I really liked them. They require a sense of awareness no other games do, and the exploration as the game progresses is extremely rewarding.

Heh, Schizm was very hardcore as I remember it and certainly not for a beginner adventurer. Still have the box somewhere, but not a game I replay often, if at all. Even got Schizm 2 but that is also in a bit of a haze, probably fried my brain. :P

Heh, Schizm was very hardcore as I remember it and certainly not for a beginner adventurer. Still have the box somewhere, but not a game I replay often, if at all. Even got Schizm 2 but that is also in a bit of a haze, probably fried my brain. :P

I never knew there was Schizm 2! Anyways not so keen on going back to the mindbending. I remember the experience as both very intriguing (as its what got me into other titles - one was with the magic cat and some empty wizard tower, and the other one was rather Fraudian, dealing with life and death and the meaning of existence as far as I could make it at the time) and extremely traumatizing. Schizm is one of the few games that gives me nausia, and I was only 10 at the time.

Maniac Mansion for the NES... Man, I shat my pants when I found Edna at the kitchen. It was so scary... I think I was 8 or 9.

But I was so fascinated by it, even when I didn´t get english at all and died a lot I still rented it many times cause it was awesome. For me it had that 80´s vibe in style of saved by the bell + chessy gory flicks of the era like Elvira. I loved it.

Btw, I was thinking the other day that somebody must do an article about the famous manors in videogame history that have started genres.

Mystery House

Sweet Home

Alone in the Dark (Derceto!)

Maniac Mansion

Resident Evil

So many!

I never knew there was Schizm 2! Anyways not so keen on going back to the mindbending. I remember the experience as both very intriguing (as its what got me into other titles - one was with the magic cat and some empty wizard tower, and the other one was rather Fraudian, dealing with life and death and the meaning of existence as far as I could make it at the time) and extremely traumatizing. Schizm is one of the few games that gives me nausia, and I was only 10 at the time.

Was one of them maybe "Of light and darkness - The Prophecy"? I got it but never finished it. Weird game.

203933-of-light-and-darkness-the-prophecy-windows-screenshot-a-disturbing.jpg

203929-of-light-and-darkness-the-prophecy-windows-screenshot-front.jpg

203934-of-light-and-darkness-the-prophecy-windows-screenshot-this.jpg

I never knew there was Schizm 2!

Was one of them maybe "Of light and darkness - The Prophecy"? I got it but never finished it. Weird game.

No, I've never played this. It looks really weird though. Let me look around if I can find something on the internet. I've played a lot of obscure games and I can't find the CDs for these ones. Must have given them away or something. The magic one was a bit like Treasure seekers, whilst the other one was very much gothic, but its worlds were entirely oriented towards the puzzles. Which wasn't so bad, since the puzzles were awesome. It also had no people just the occasional apparition of a woman that haunts you.

I think my very first adventure game was... well... Adventure on an 8088. After that I think I played one of the first LSL's or Hero's Quest. It really divided gaming for me. There was point-and-click-adventures games, and then there was everything else.

My first adventure was Indy and The Last Crusade on the Atari ST. It was also the second game I ever played (Metro-Cross was the first). I loved the setting and the characters, this was before I actually saw one of the movies. I never finished it back then because I always got my ass kicked in the Nazi castle. I also remember being scared to death when Indy opens the coffin of the Grail Knight in the tomb in Venice.

Back then I was very young (about 7 or 8), so I had a hard time understanding what was going on all the time with all the English language (like most games in the Netherlands, it wasn't translated). I remember sitting around with a dictionary trying to figure out what a "jar" was, games like Crusade really helped me develop English at an early age.

I did finish the PC-VGA version many years later using ScummVM. Looking back, the game had a huge impact on me.

Leisure Suit Larry in high school on 5.25" floppy...man I'm dating myself!

The first adventure I played was a text adventure called Uppsjö, set in the fictitious abandoned Uppsjö Railway Station. The reason you've probably never heard of it was that it was in Swedish, written in BASIC for the ABC 80 computer. In retrospect, it was a fairly primitive treasure hunt with a verb-noun parser. It was a short game, and pretty forgiving. There was, as I recall it, only one thing in it that could kill you, which was good because I don't think you could save your game. Saving to cassette was always awkward anyway. You could get a floppy drive for it but, unlike the monitor and the cassette player, it had to be bought separately and it cost quite a bit more than the computer itself did. (Honestly!)

The most unusual thing about the game was probably that it was literally impossible to get a perfect score, because you had to bring the treasures to a waiting taxi, and since the meter was running there was a score penalty for each minute of real time that passed. At the time though, I found it absolutely fascinating to be able to type in commands, and have the computer respond back to me.

I later played another game by the same author, but it would be many years until I got a computer that had any commercial adventure games, and even then they weren't always easy to find. I remember a clerk at a computer store actually telling me that the Infocom text adventures were boring, when I asked if they had any. He honestly didn't seem to understand why anyone would want to play those on a computer that could do high-resolution graphics.

My first adventure game was either Riven the sequel to myst or The Secret of Monkey Island™,

but the first one i completed was Monkey Island™.

I'll be honest, I had probably played 20 adventure games before I ever beat one. Not for lack of trying. Might have been Under a Killing Moon that I finally beat. I'd usually get like 2/3 through and hit a wall, but I loved them anyway.

A lot of modern gamers might not appreciate the idea that most of the games you'd buy back then (including action games) would be too hard to beat without cheating. That was how you got value back when cartridges could only hold a game that was maybe 2 or 3 hours long. They'd make you play it over and over to get good enough to actually finish. When you bought a game back then you didn't necessarily have an expectation that you'd see the ending, and when you did it was something special.

Myst

Then came Monkey Island and Day Of The Tentacle, which is my preferred Adventure for all days.

Zork

My first adventure game with graphics was King's Quest. I remember it as being monochrome, but I could be wrong.

An early "C" port of Colossal Cave on a Harris Mini - I remember loading it in on paper-tape!

We wasted many a man-hour on that game. So much so that the IT director put a time lock on the file so we could only play after hours. :-)

It's hard to say what my first was, because like many others I was so young. I was only 2 when Zork came out, and I don't know if I ever played it but I remember playing Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so that was probably my first or close to it. I also had a C64 and an Apple IIE, what games were there on those?

Of course, almost everything listed here I've played since so... my first hardly seems important.

Nobody can help me what game it was ?

All I know is :

- On Commodore 64 or Amstrad CPC

- Was in black and white (I think)

- Start in prison (as a prisonner)

I've been looking to find this game for a long time, no chance...

EDIT : Found out, it was Doomsday Blues... not even an adventure game (well, not a point & click)...

Your first adventure game?
I'm not positive, but it was probably 'Les Manely: The Search for the King.'

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/24/crap-shoot-les-manley-search-for-the-king/

(Though I don't recall having nearly the trouble this guy seems to have had.)

** Actually, come to think of it... No, my first adventure game was Raaka-tu (a cassette loader in assembly on a coco2)

http://www.figmentfly.com/raakatu/raakatu.html

My first adventure game would be Day of the Tentacle, one of the very few games I played (and actually beat) together with my dad when I was a kid, so it holds a very special place in my heart.

DotT, along with MI2 and 3 are the only games he ever played through, actually.

I remember that my father used to play Monkey Island and Day of Tentacle,among a few others of that era and I would watch him play them all the time,but I believe my first true experience with an adventure game was Myst.

My first "move the directional pad & press the button" graphical adventure was Maniac Mansion for the NES, which I consider one of the best.

It blew my mind as a kid being able to play such a game in a console where most games back then where about stomping or shooting at things.

I really don't even remember the name of it, it was a DOS game with 8 bit color. It was a haunted house that you had to break into and solve the mystery. After that a handful of the early king's quest, then myst. I liked Myst a lot, I liked that it came with a journal in the box (heh, the box, remember when games had those?). I liked that you HAD to use said journal or you'd be up sh*^ creek.

Maniac Mansion for the win! (long live my XT pc)

...and then there was Zac McKraken... damn it I couldn't spell his name properly...

Scooby-Doo Mysteries for the GENESIS

A surprisingly good PnC with some cool gameplay ideas(Scooby independently walks around the screen and points at relevant objects. This somewhat reduces the pixel hunting, which would be the killer for a console only game)

and a great look(A huge DotT ripoff :))

A difficult question.

I'm not sure which game was my first adventures game.

I believe it was either Day of the Tentacle, Simon the Sorcerer I or Flight of the amazon queen.

Sign in to follow this