Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

Maniac Mansion, Thanks Ron :)

I tried text adventures a long time after MM, but they can't catch me.

Kings Quest 1 in glorious 2 colours (orange and black) then later on a CGA display - PC XT :D I played every King Quest then it all went wrong with No 8... Also all the Monkey Islands, DOTT, Full Throttle, all the Larry games. My fav of all was Indian Jones and the Fate of Atlantis closely followed by DOTT and Monkey 1&2.

My first was Loom. It came with my Sound Blaster 16 sound card/cd-rom pack. Monkey Island 1 was my second (came in the same pack, but since I loved music I played Loom first.)

Forest at Worlds end, on my old trusty Amstrad CPC :). Loaded from a tape.

While definitely not the oldest one I played, Dracula: Resurrection was probably my very first adventure game :-)

Labyrinth on the Commodore 64. It was an adventure by LucasArts based on the David Bowie/Jennifer Connelly movie and it was great. I think my favourite adventures of all time are Monkey Island 2, Day of the Tentacle and Broken Sword, but I also loved some of the older Sierra games like the first 3 King's Quest games, Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest. All in all it's an amazing genre, and I'm really happy that we're getting something new - the main reason why I backed the project.

Grim Fandango was my first adventure game, and also the very first PC game I bought from the shops for my first pc when I was younger.

My first one was on an Atari 800 - a text / graphics adventure 'Mask of the Sun'.

King's Quest VII, which came with the flashy new 486 Compaq Computer incl. CD Rom Drive my father brought home :)

I stayed away from my SNES for Weeks.

My first text adventure was just called "adventure" :)

My first point and click was Déjà Vu on a Macintosh. Very nice Dashiel Hammet like detective story. I loved the way you had to puzzle together the story and how the objective wasn't even what you thought it was when you had solved all the mysteries.

- Markus

First ever adventure game was Full Throttle. I remember being stuck for HOURS trying to figure out how to steal the gas without getting caught (I was a kid, gimme a break). That was also one of the first honest to goodness PC games i've ever played that wasn't oregon trail. Such a great game.

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbender on the c64. Yes, I'm old.

I got you beat.

It was Transylvania on the Apple II, a first-person text parser game that we had on the Apple at school. I never came anywhere close to actually beating it, I just liked interacting with things or trying to get funny responses from the game.

My grandfather (now 90 years old) is actually partly responsible for getting me into adventure games, oddly enough. He was a computer scientist since the early 50s, and he played games like Adventure and Zork back when they were mainframe games.

Around 1990 he showed me a game called Hugo's House of Horrors, which was a kind of Maniac Mansion-ish game, but with a Sierra-style text parser interface. This was the first adventure game I actually owned, and I loved it, and later got the two sequels. That's really where I became an adventure gamer. Myst, Space Quest IV, Under a Killing Moon, and Sam and Max followed when I got my 486, and then I was hooked for life.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also played Scarab of Ra when I was very young, which I believe was kind of half RPG half adventure game.

Yea I remember trying to get past the bees in the second Hugo, brutal. Hugo's house of horrors was my first

Pajama Sam: There's no need to hide when it's dark outside! I think I still have the disc somewhere. Great now I have to find it. Thanks alot :P

My very first adventure game was the Neverhood. Such an awesome game. Now that I'm older and know much more about animation, I know how much effort was put into making a claymation video game.

Wow this makes me feel old!

My first adventure games were on an amstrad cpc, one of them was Amelie Minuit (1985).

You had to find important documents in a skyscrapper before midnight when the lights would go out. There were basic actions such as open, close, read, etc..

My first point and click was on the Amiga: Indiana Jones and the last crusade, I only discovered Maniac Mansion afterwards.

Great memories!

I think my first one was Colonel's Bequest. There was lots of moving Laura Bow, pixel by pixel, saying "Open door," and getting the reply "Can't reach that from here." And then doing that hundreds of times through the entire game.

Then an alligator randomly shows up and eats you. Because, in a Sierra game, death can come at any time.

Hmmmm, I'm trying to remember... if I'm not mistaken it was Space Quest III but I'd have been playing it around 1995. My grandpa had either bought me the Space Quest collection on a whim when he went shopping for computer stuff (his story) or been given it for free when he bought a mouse (my older brother's version) I'm more inclined to believe it was a present since it was promoting SQ6 and also the ImagiNation Network so I think it was pretty new.

Space Quest III was the most accessible one in the pack - the zombie in SQIV freaked us out, the manual didn't seem to have the codes for SQIVGA, SQII was just so unforgiving and SQV opened with that damn Starcon Aptitude Test - and we battled our way through it. Though dated at the time it was strangely engaging. I hope it isn't just nostalgia that makes me regard it as one of the best adventure games ever...

Secret of Monkey Island followed pretty soon afterwards. I played Curse on a PC Gamer demo disc and thought it was incredible. Bought the Monkey Island collection but then found out it was just Secret and LeChuck's Revenge. But once I got over my initial disappointment I found out they were stunningly good games.

Sierra vs LucasArts? They don't need to fight. They both rock.

Pajama Sam: Thunder and Lightning Aren't So Frightening, great game. The randomization really kept me playing it. And I could never figure out how to save so I kept starting over.

Monkey Island 2, than Physikus, than... I think Monkey 1, some fan stuff linked to MI, Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, The great mytological Tentacle... and than all the old Lucasart collection in a various order (Loom, Zak, Maniac Mansion... and so on)

My first one was on an Atari 800 - a text / graphics adventure 'Mask of the Sun'.

Oh, I remember this one very fondly! Played in on a C64, what a great Adventure!

But actually my very first Adventure Game was 'Gruds in Space' by Sirius Software. Played it back in 1984, together with a bunch of friends. I'm sure I never would have become a software developer if it wasn't for the old C64 days! God, how I miss them...

- First text adventure: The Hobbit (Melbourne House - 1982 but I played it one year later).

- First graphic adventure: Space Quest 1 (1986 - Sierra).

- First point & click adventure: Maniac Mansion (1987 - Lucas).

Ah the memories!

Blue's Clues: Blue's Birthday Adventure was the first video game I can remember playing at about age 5. After that at age 6 I played Pajama Sam 2, Freddi Fish, and then all the other (for the lack of a better word) 'good' Humongous Entertainment games. I only very recently understood where my love of point in click adventures came from when I suddenly remembered what pajama sam was called (I'm 17 now) after reading the name in a discussion of good adventure games on this forum. It was then that all the wonderful memories of those classic games came back to me, causing my nostalgia to become so extreme that I got all the major Humongous Entertainment games and started playing all of them again via SCUMMVM. I am currently replaying Pajama Sam 1 and having so much nostalgia over getting to replay them, now with a greater appreciation on how artistic and wonderfully creative those games are.

My first adventure game was King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella.

My second adventure game was the PC EGA version of The Secret of Monkey Island.

My first adventure game was Sam & Max Hit the Road. Ironically enough it was for a elective class in middle school. It was to help promote creative thinking I believe. We had an option to choose from a few Adventure games. One of the other choices was Maniac Mansion, which I passed on playing. And to this day I have never played it. ( Don't shoot me.) That class will probably go down in history as my favorite class I had throughout my schooling.

Los Pajaros De Bangkok or La Aventura Original, both graphic text adventures.

Monkey Island was my first adventure game. :)

The most memorable adventure game I played was Monkey Island 3, and the most interesting was probably The Nomad Soul (which I didn't finish).

Pajama Sam for me! Humongous games and Mario Kart were pretty much the only video games that I played in my childhood, but at least they were good games. Humongous introduced me early to the idea that games can have good writing as well as good gameplay, and I thank them for that. I especially loved Spy Fox, Sam, and Backyard Baseball. Fox, Sam, and Achmed Khan (gotta love those headphones) still have their seats in my list of favorite video game characters.

Sign in to follow this