Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

I'm not really sure. I know the first one I ever had in front of me was Kings Quest V, but my computer at the time couldn't run it correctly. The first one I remember playing all the way through was The Crimson Room.

This was a long time ago.

I'd have to say... Adventure for the Atari 2600.

Oh wait, you mean like point and click adventure rather than an action game named Adventure?

If we're counting text adventure games, my uncle loved those on the Commodore 64, so not surprisingly I ended up playing some of them. I can't nail down a specific one though, as they all seemed interchangeable. First point and click adventure game I played had to be one of the Sierra games, but I don't really remember it.

The first one I remember playing all the way through was the Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick classic, Maniac Mansion. That had to be in either 1989 or 1990.

probably Escape from MI, lost of ppl mislike it but it's what got me into the series in the first place actually. I'm sure there are others like me. SOMEWWWHHHAAAARREEEEE

I don't remember the name of the game, I played it at my public library in the early 80's on some old monochrome system and it involved roaming around some cave and defeating a wizard if I remember correctly. It might have been a version of Colossal Cave/Adventure, but again, it was 30 years ago and my mind has forgotten that neural pathway.

First was Secret of Monkey Island (or rather the demo that came with a pack of disks, we got the full game soon after). Probably my first game period. I was five, and playing the game with my dad are pretty much my earliest memories.

Maniac Mansion. That was one of my earliest PC games too. King's Quest IV not long after. heh Wasn't very good at them as a kid, though I somehow managed to muddle my way through, piece by piece.

The Curse of Monkey Island.

It was the only game like it that I or any of my friends had ever played, so much so that describing adventure games in my circle of friends was referred to as "like Monkey Island" forever afterwards.

Eventually moved on to the GBA version of Broken Sword, and then Escape from Monkey Island. (GBA version looked pretty good... until I saw the PC version. But as far as GBA games go, it looks quite nice. All of the beautifully animated cutscenes in the PC version are chopped into a bunch of still frames as well, so if that bothers you, maybe don't play the GBA version)

haha I'll stick with PC, in terms of atmosphere at least the art style/animation is what makes that game.

*along with the voice acting and music of course

First adventure game was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when I was 5yrs old. It was quickly followed by the Secret of Monkey Island. I remember then trying Kings Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella. I died so fast on every attempt that I gave up on most Sierra games till I was in my teens when I got The Dagger of Amon Ra and Conquests of the Longbow.

Would Crash Bandicoot qualify as a proper adventure game?

That was my very first game and a treasure it was :) I still play it occasionally too!

My first adventure game was Full Throttle, and to this day i love the bunnies out of that game! Great humor, fantastic thrilling story, definitally something that made me fall in love with story telling.

Would Crash Bandicoot qualify as a proper adventure game?

I don't even think that qualifies as an improper adventure game. That's about as adventure as Super Mario Bros.

I'm not sure if I posted in this thread or not. My first adventure was Transylvania, which I played at school in 3rd grade. I don't think I ever really made progress in it, but I liked exploring and trying things. No one ever told me how to play it, it just seemed intuitive to me.

My grandfather (who passed away last year at 90), was actually the one who got me into adventure games. That's the interesting thing about the genre is that it kind of transcends age and gaming experience. He was a computer engineer from the early 1950s UNIVAC days through the late 70s or early 80s, and he would regale me with stories about "Dungeon" (Zork) and Advent (Colossal Cave Adventure). He made a fan of me when he showed me a game called Hugo's House of Horrors that combined adventure games with an on-screen character (yeah, Sierra had been doing it already for some time, but I didn't know that).

Hugo and its sequels were the games that got me hooked on the genre. When I got a better computer with VGA, I moved on to Space Quest IV and became quite the Sierra fanboy, and started gobbling up adventure games left and right. They were probably my favorite genre for most of the 90s.

Hmm... good question. Granny's Garden probably lol, or some wierd first person inside a pyramid game on a mac (this made me hunt - Scarab of Ra!)
Oh god, Scarab of Ra. I remember playing that at a friend's house as a kid, too. I couldn't say for sure when it was, though.

I remember this being one of the early(ish) adventure games that I loved. Anyone else remember this one?

_poX1_we5z0

My first gaming experience.... as far as Adventure Gaming goes is the old old Sierra line of Text adventures.

I'm talking... Police Quest 1-2, Space Quest, Kings Quest. Before it became point and click... I'm talking EGA man! BEFORE VGA or even MICE were in the picture!

But I've gone through the entire SCUMM, TellTale, and Sierra adventure games line up.

Space Quest and Monkey Island were my favorites.

Followed, in the age of the first 3D games by Grim Fandango.

Man, I miss that kind of gaming so bad!

Mine was King's Quest though I never finished it. The first one I've completed was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizzards.

Mine was King's Quest though I never finished it. The first one I've completed was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizzards.

Which KQ? Some of them were very hard!

LSL! Dude, that takes me back :D

Which KQ? Some of them were very hard!

LSL! Dude, that takes me back :D

King's Quest 1. It was my first game for my " brand new" IBM XT clone :)

Aztec Adventure for the Apple IIc.

:coolsmile:

So many happy memories trying to get to the bottom level and back out alive.

Or maybe it was zork....????????

Pretty sure it was either a King's Quest....but more likely the Secret of Monkey Island.

Smiles

My first Adventure Game was Maniac Mansion on C64. Later on my AMIGA 500: Zak, Monkey, Loom, indy....all the good old Lucasfilm Games. I miss those times so much :-(

My First advenure game was good old "The Secret of Monkey Island" in my first 12 Mhz Clock Intel 80188 with Monochrome Hercules 720x800 resolution. Man ... what a blast !

Sign in to follow this