Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

A BASIC non-Infocom, non-Scott Adams text adventure game on tape on a C64 I got at a garage sale in 1991 for $8 when I was 10. I don't remember much about it because there were a few on the same tape and they've kind of blended together in my memory. It wasn't long before I was trying to write my own BASIC text adventures and then saving up for a used 1541 disk drive and better games.

Alternatively, Kings Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella on a PC at my dad's office some day I didn't have school and went in to work with him. I thought it was awesome at the time, though I died a hell of a lot.

Not really sure which of those came first.

My first was on the Amiga, it was about pirates...hmm now lemme think what was it? hmmm ...hmmmm....pirates.....

Hook :)

I remember the day my dad came home with it for me, he said I'd probably like it. I finished it in a day, gave my taste for adventuring!

I remember really getting into Myst when I was 5-6, but then the sounds and ambiance started getting to me and I couldn't sleep....:P

Then my parents started buying me games more suited to my age group, and that's when I discovered Freddie Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds. I played the hell out of that game.

Maniac Mansion on the C64... (got a C64 with a ton of games around 90-91 when i was 5-6 and it was in there)

My first game was Zork Nemesis

i think i was 11 when i played it, i will never forget that memorable immersive mystical and sometimes creepy/scary game.

I'm not sure if we're talking adventure or point & click?

I had a c64 starting at around 4 or 5... just after I starting reading. That was 1982. I was on that Zork train right away. Then Deja Vu debuted as the the non text game, although I'd played text plus graphics (Sierra's Wizard and The Princess, some indie companies Treasure Island adaptation) and then text plus moving graphics (King's Quest).

The steam roll train really started with Maniac Mansion though...which some of you know was made for the C64 before anything else. For many young people around the world, Ron Gilbert basically helped form many young minds while still a youngster himself.

Is that the original pixel size for loom?

It's always so hard to believe. I love playing loom.

either indy 3 on the c64 or the secret of monkey island on the amiga. MI is definitely the one that got me hooked to the genre.

That mildly horrific Monkey Island 2(?) Playstation port. It was the second game I ever played on the PS1 and I had zero idea of what was expected of me in that game.

First adventure game I finished was Full Throttle. I've replayed it a few times, but then I lost my disc. I threw it inside one of my tornado bags and now I think it's lost in the basement.

My first adventure game was Maniac Mansion on DOS....I remember clearly 'cause I remember getting a kick out of playing ding dong ditch on Weird Ed with Bernard's character, been a fan of adventure games since.

I want to say Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror but I'm not entirely sure. But that's probably it. I didn't have a PC and I played at a friend's house together with him. It was fun playing adventure games with someone, taking turns and so on. Anyway, that's how I learned English (that and Cartoon Network).

After that I searched and devoured every point and click adventure I could find. Except for the first person ones. I don't like them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't get into 1st-person adventure games. I got so frustrated with Myst and I think it put me off them forever...

The only one I managed to get enjoyment out of was Return to Zork. And that was only because of the atrocious- but hilarious- acting.

"Want some rye? Course you do!"

Gold!

There are a few good 1st-person adventure games out there. Heart of China is quite good. I think games like Myst contributed significantly to the decline (until recently) of adventure games, but I think it's not so much the perspective but the puzzle-heavy, story-light content.

There are a few good 1st-person adventure games out there. Heart of China is quite good. I think games like Myst for contributed significantly to the decline (until recently) of adventure games, but I think it's not so much the perspective but the puzzle-heavy, story-light content.

You may be onto something. I've always associated adventure games with story. The only first person adventure I've played was Post Mortem. The story wasn't bad but I couldn't relate to the main character because I didn't see him.

My very first adventure game was Maniac Mansion on the NES when I was about 8. I never beat it, but I remember laughing at the jokes and generally enjoying the puzzles.

We didn't get a decent computer until '96. For Christmas that year, I got Duke Nukem 3D and my younger sister got Myst. I beat Duke in a few weeks and decided to try Myst since my sister wasn't really getting into it. I loved it and played through it multiple times. I remember leaving the soundtrack on repeat in my room every night when I went to sleep. I bought all the books so I could learn about the backstory of the world.

I don't agree with the bad rep Myst gets. Myst was every bit as complex and intricate as any other adventure before it. But that was the problem. People wanted "easier" and Myst wasn't it. Adventures would've gotten that same opinion regardless if Myst came along or not, unless they started making really easy stuff....which they did. And they all sucked and were boring.

I don't agree with the bad rep Myst gets. Myst was every bit as complex and intricate as any other adventure before it. But that was the problem. People wanted "easier" and Myst wasn't it. Adventures would've gotten that same opinion regardless if Myst came along or not, unless they started making really easy stuff....which they did. And they all sucked and were boring.

Myst gets a bad rep because it led to a million awful clones that crashed the adventure game market. Forever.

I don't believe that's what crashed the genre. I don't even believe it crashed or ever went on a decline. Other games just became more popular as "arcade gamers" entered the PC and console gaming scene. Like Ron said, Adventures just never gained the same momentum.

There are a few good 1st-person adventure games out there. Heart of China is quite good. I think games like Myst contributed significantly to the decline (until recently) of adventure games, but I think it's not so much the perspective but the puzzle-heavy, story-light content.

Loved MYST myself well not really the original from myst 3 I found it pretty fun.

Think mostly adventures went downhill because other gametypes sold loads more and companies tended to focus on that.

Though now since steam and other online download platforms allot more adventures are getting here again because its allot easyer to launch them.

First I Played Was Probably Day Of The Tentacle, & Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis. Are Carmen Sandiego Or Twinsen Odyssey Adventure Games, Too? I've Never Quite Got Into The Whole Classification Thing.

I think the first adventure game I ever played was The Hobbit, on the BBC Micro and ZX Spectrum back in the 80's.

However, the first point and click adventure game I ever played and completed was DOTT. In fact, I think that was the first game of any genre I completed!

That must have been a classic in which ron gilbert had a hand. It's either freddi fish or pajama sam.

Sign in to follow this