Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

I don't believe that's what crashed the genre. I don't even believe it crashed or ever went on a decline. Other games just became more popular as "arcade gamers" entered the PC and console gaming scene. Like Ron said, Adventures just never gained the same momentum.

This is only true if you ignore the mid-late 90s. Ron is wrong about this one.

Myst was the best selling PC game of all time when it came out at 6 million copies. Riven was the best selling game of 1997, selling 4.5 million copies. Even Full Throttle sold a million copies, and a bunch of Sierra's games sold more than that. There was a big boom of million+ adventure hits in the 90s.

But people got burnt out on them. There was an ENDLESS parade of bad Myst wannabees in the late 90s, and the clever, well-written adventures became few and far between. And then when adventure games declined, the big developers panicked and ran away rather than trying to innovate and get people interested again. Lucas and Sierra were really the Coke and Pepsi of the adventure genre, and when they both go spooked by Grim Fandango's under-performance, it was all over.

I also think the adventure genre was particularly vulnerable because it attracted a certain audience that played adventure games exclusively. They weren't really gamers, and they weren't loyal like gamers, they were never the type to buy 10+ games a year. My dad, my grandfather, they played point and click adventure games, because they required no real "gaming" skills. But they don't anymore, and they don't care because they're not really gamers.

I think the first adventure game I ever played was The Hobbit, on the BBC Micro and ZX Spectrum back in the 80's.

I remember playing that with my dad. I didn't speak English at the time, so he translated everything for me. It was fun, but we didn't get very far.

And I have to revise my earlier answer. My very first point and click adventure game was one of the Putt-Putt games. I have no idea which one it was.

My first adventure game was actually a Phantom of the Opera adventure game, which I played with my dad... I've never heard anyone talking about that game, though.

At least I think it was that. Other possibilities are Myst and Fate of Atlantis, but I'm pretty sure those came later.

DO Steve Jackson & Ian Livingston gamebooks count?

If not, it's King's Quest I on those big floppies. Couldn't get past the damn witch.

But it's GF that got me hooked!

Secret of Monkey Island. That changed EVERYTHING.

There was this guy who used to write hints for Amiga Action under the pseudonym The Boggit, and he was sort of a family friend. When I was about 10 or something I was around his place and he was showing off Monkey Island 1 + 2. And I didn't even know what sort of game it was, I was just really interested in this game with cool music and scenes where people had funny conversations. I was only really a fan of platform games up to that point, since I'd had a NES and later got an Amiga which had loads of games ported from the SEGA consoles.

So I went to a shop with my Dad, and I wanted him to get Monkey Island 2, because the latest one in my young mind was going to be the best one, and I was really impressed with the scene of Largo on the bridge. But luckily he managed to talk me out of it and I got the first one instead, so I got to play them in order. I've still got the boxes, but I lost most of the disks long ago.

My first adventure game was actually a Phantom of the Opera adventure game, which I played with my dad... I've never heard anyone talking about that game, though.

That wouldn't be Return of the Phantom, would it? That was a neat game. Involved time travel.

Riven. Came with mum's ex-partner's Hewlett Packard PC.

Was...not the best introduction.

Full Throttle

I played it when it first came out on my then totally new and extremely high-tech Pentium computer.

The first adventure game I ever played was The Original Adventure on a Z80 kit computer my dad built before I was born. From there I played Planetfall, Zork, and many other Infocom adventures. I played a lot of the Sierra adventures as time went on as well, like Kings Quest, Police Quest, etc. When we finally got a computer that could run Windows, I played through the Monkey Island games and Full Throttle and loved them. Adventure games have been my favorite genre for a very long time, and I've been getting sick of hearing people say it's dead. I'm so glad this Kickstarter project worked out so well.

It was Mortville Manor (Le Manoir de Mortevielle for us, frenchies). I played it on my Amstrad CPC 6128 and it was great.

I will always remember the synthesized voices (a first at the time !)

I think my first Adventure game was Hugo's House of Horrors. If I recall it was one I got on a floppy at either a tech fair or the 99 cents store (I later found the others I know for sure at the 99 cents store I went to when I lived in cali).

Another one was Dare to Dream which I got at a tech fair. It's one of Cliff Blizinski's (i probably spelled that wrong) first games. I still have those disks, but they dont work anymore which sucks :(

I think my first Adventure game was Hugo's House of Horrors.

Woo Hugo!! It's only now when I replay them that I realize how insanely frustrating they are (especially the second one). If only I had the patience of a kid again :)

My first adventure game was Hugo 3: Jungle of Doom. I remember getting stuck right near the end of the game, where you scare an elephant with a mouse, and have to shoot it with a dart gun before it walks off the screen... I had no concept of timed puzzles at the time, so after wishing the elephant well on its travels as it wandered off the screen, I went about my adventuring - the game is partially text based (ala old Sierra games) so I spent an embarrassing amount of my childhood in Hugo trying to 'build catapults' and 'catch spider with leaf'. Ugh.

My first 'real' point and click was a demo diskette of Teen Agent, bought at a grocery store of all places. My first full game was Loom. Both of these games still hold a special place in my heart!

I'm not exactly sure, but it was either The Pink Panther: Hocus Pokus Pink, or Monkey Island 3. Both great games.

Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry with a friend in elementary school in the late 80s. Then when I got an Amiga, the first game I played and completed on my own was Monkey Island 2, which really got me hooked on adventure games. After that I got most of the other LucasArts classics and Leisure Suit Larry games.

Leisure Suit Larry on monochrome Toshiba 286 laptop. I was 11 years old I think back then. World was not same after that.

It was Mortville Manor (Le Manoir de Mortevielle for us, frenchies). I played it on my Amstrad CPC 6128 and it was great.

I will always remember the synthesized voices (a first at the time !)

Holy hell I totally remember this.

It feels like that stuff is 50 years old at the level games are at now!

My first adventure game was The Secret of Monkey Island in 1992 by then I had a 486

Holy hell I totally remember this.

It feels like that stuff is 50 years old at the level games are at now!

An iPhone adaptation was supposed to be released by a team of french developers (http://www.mortevielle.com), but since no news has been posted on their website since december 2010 i think we can assume that the project is dead... :(

A multiple choice text adventure on the C64 where i had to type in the listing each time before i wanted to play it due to a lack of dataset/floppy those days, singing lalala in order to distract me from the solutions whilst typing in the listing.

My first point&click; was Maniac Mansion on the Amiga.

Am I the only one that ever played Gobliiins? I think that Gobliiins 2 was my first graphical adventure. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis followed soon after that.

Sign in to follow this