Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

Day of the Tentacle.

It belonged to a friend of mine. I would ask if I could come hang out just so I could play the game. It blew my mind. It still brings a smile to my face and I play it through annually. It's tradition.

I remember me and my dad playing this demo for a point and click adventure waaay way back. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, however I think the general jist of the story was that there was an old man? A girl got kidnapped, or was a tribute, or something? She got kidnapped by the villains anyway, and I remember getting to a room that was basically pitch black. Either it was a puzzle or the demo ended/broke, I'll never know because that's where I left it.

Mixed-Up Mother Goose. That and the DJ Kat Show and its cartoons learned me the English I now use on obscure message boards.

first Adventure! Monkey Island on the Amiga. I spent the summer at my Mom's house. She had a strange room mate that was obsessed with "Video Toaster". And she had all these games. It was also the first real game that made me bust out laughing. I was hooked afterwards and got my hands on every Lucas Arts adventure game I could. It was a glorious time, in the days of floppy discs.

The Secret of Monkey Island was the game that started and changed everything for me (at least in gaming terms, let's not be that dramatic).

This will be my first adventure game. The only reason I gave Tim money was because of his personality and his work in Psychonauts and the games that came after that. I believe in Tim and the crew at Double Fine that they will produce a great game.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It helped me learn to read, and is the only 4th Indiana Jones in my mind. shortly after came monkey island, sam and max, full throttle, the dig and so on.

I got into adventure games kinda late, but luckily started with an awesome one: Machinarium.

It instantly became one of my top ten games and got me interested in other adventure games.

Samarost was fun too, for a bit...but will never match up to Machinarium.

I never really was interested in adventure games as a kid. I mostly played shooters, RPGs, and platformers. The first adventure game I played may be The Dig which I got in a Steam sale about two years ago. After that I've played Myst, Broken Sword, The Longest Journey, Machinarium, and Dreamfall.

King's Quest for me! Which grew into:

King's Quest series

Space Quest Series

Police Quest

(I was a heavy Sierra kid to start)

Adventure Construction Set <---- anyone? huh? huh?

and my favorite of all time:

Zak McKracken & the Alien Mindbenders

...which grew into Maniac Mansion, Tass Times in Towntown, Myst, Borrowed Time and another game I can't remember the name of. Maybe from Mindscape or Interplay? It was a scary game where if you went a certain way in the lobby a dead ghost screamed in your face (and made this little boy scream too).

Great topic, great memories!

Your first adventure game?

Zork probably. That's going back an awful lot though.

The first I remember really going nuts for was The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble, I miss that game a lot -- it was a blast.

DOTT.

Found it among some other CDs in a white cardboard sleeve. I think my brother said he got it from a magazine. I don't really know. It was pure luck that I decided to check it out.

First adventure was definitely Secret of Monkey Island, followed quickly by its sequel, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I didn't have a lot of money growing up and my computers were all surplussed from the high school, so I was never able to play the latest and greatest. But I did have a lot of DOS shareware and got introduced to some hard classics like Descent and Jazz Jackrabbit. One of the games on my 1 Billion in One CD was one of the Hugo's House of Horrors games, I'm pretty sure it was the first one. For all its flaws, I fell in love with the game style and humor. Being able to walk around, talk to people, look for clues, and use my wits to figure out what to do next was absolutely amazing to young me. And without the Internet, it was actually somewhat of a challenge sometimes, too. Discovering Monkey Island and Yahtzee's John DeFoe series years later was incredible, as they were everything I loved about the Hugo games, but so much better.

My first adventure game was Trinity on the C64. I loved how Infocom would include all sorts of knick-knacks (i.e. comics, maps, sundials, etc) with their games that had clues to the puzzles. That was a really hard game though.

I think my first adventure game was a something about a fish, and learning something educational....bleh

Although it was actually pretty cool.

My next one...was the Sam & Max series, and then into the blackwell legacy its a new genre for me and I'm trying to grasp the possibilities.

MYST on an actual CD ROM!! It was for my Macintosh Performa!

630.jpg

Ohhh yeah, good times. I loved that game, even if it was hard as all heck. It was still awesome to look at and had a great sense of mystery and loneliness.

I watched one of my older cousins play Monkey Island 2 when I was a kid but the first one I actually played myself...? CMI I guess? I'm not totally sure as my school had a bunch of the Humongous Entertainment games when I was in the later grades there and on rainy days we'd all goof off and play them at recess.

So around 1994 my grandparents decided to modernize their life with a custom-built PC with Windows 3.11. They had a friend teaching them the ropes and he had loaned them a game: King's Quest VI. I wasn't versed in any games besides some NES and Sega games at the time and had no real idea on how to even use a computer. This game blew my mind, it was the best looking game I'd ever seen and the first that was fully voiced. It was also the first game I played where story was important. It was clever, funny, intriguing, had great characters and a story that you could care about. I enjoyed it so much and even more so that my grandparents played it along with me.

Not a year later, my mother bought a PC for me. Used, but that didn't matter at all. I learned as much as I could possibly about it, discovered great new games, especially of the Sierra variety. Created art for all my game cases that needed it, or needed an improvement. I was in love, hehe.

Anyways, I better cut this short before I ramble on and on. That's my 2 cents.

Space Quest 1, VGA Remake

thus my avatar

My family played it together, and we didn't have internet, so when we got stuck my dad would have to use the internet at work to find out hints. It was a very memorable part of my elementary school experience.

Sign in to follow this