Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

My First Game was Leisure suit Larry 1 on my old Dos Computer. Good fun for a child :D

LOL! I can relate... played that when I was about 13 years old. We had a computer lab at school to learn BASIC programming after school, but all we ever did was play Leisure Suit Larry, hahaha. Good times!

The first encounter I had with adventure games was a text adventure named 'the hobbit' since I was 10 and not English speaking I was already amazed I could get text by typing north or south (the underlined words in the text :D ).

The first graphical adventure game I played was monkey island, I was mesmerized and still couldn't make head or tails of it, but how awesome to move into a bar just by clicking walk and the place to walk to :o

The first adventure game I finished was loom because it hardly contained text and it was doable for non English speakers. I think adventure games (as well as subtitles on television) thought me English.

I still suck at it though. ;)

A friend of my father gave me all the monkey island games, with boxes and everything (1 + 2 + 3), one of the important stages in my life ;) so my first adventure game would be The Secret of Monkey Island.

Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter. I played it at my dad's work, before I could speak English - he'd print out the commands I had to type in, like "PRESS OPEN BAY DOOR" and "TAKE KEYCARD" and I remember how excited my dad was when I figured out how to type "LOOK AROUND" by myself and try to figure out what words were important. (I was four at the time, and parents get really super excited about the most banal things.)

First LucasArts game was Zak McKracken, and I thought that game was awesome (which makes sense because I used to be not an American). Yet again, my dad's evil ways of trying to teach me English manifested, that time in the form of a very annoying word-matching game written in Pascal, my favorite "word" in that game was "CREDIT CARD" because it was the only entry containing two word tokens and therefore remained the easiest to identify. It didn't take me long to figure out how to Ctrl+C that word-match to start playing Zak without answering questions about words. It took my dad way longer to figure out I was Ctrl+C-ing his word quiz...

LOOM was the first LucasArts game I beat without outside help. Fact: I forgot to write down the melody of sharpening in the glass-makers guild and was convinced that I couldn't proceed through the forge after an older kid told me that he dulled the sword to get caught. After replaying LOOM a few years ago I figured out that you can play the twister melody to twist the sword at the forge - which means I wasted so much time replaying all of the beginning part of the game as a ten-year-old. Man, I can't believe how much time I wasted when I was 10! (The first non-LucasArts game I beat by myself was probably Coktel Vision's Gobliiins, although I remember feeling like a pimp when I beat Prince of Persia, the Jordan Mechner one).

Sorry to be all "old man going down memory lane...."

I was going to write The Curse of Monkey Island, but then I remembered a PC-game where you play as a yellow fish. Freddie Fish I think it was called.

After that I played the Swedish point-and-click adventure "Jönsonligan Jakten på Mjölner". It is based on a Swedish film franchise, where three thieves plan and execute a heist. Wonderful stuff

Then most LucasArts games, starting with The Dig

My first Adventure was Maniac Mansion on the Commodore 64.

i was 7 or 8 Years old didn´t speak a word english (my mothers tongue is german) but was able to get through the game via trial and error.

I loved it and got me to learn english :D

The first adventure game I ever saw was 'The Curse of Monkey Island', I use to enjoy taking part on the puzzles with my older brother.

The first adventure game I ever played was 'Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars' which I loved sooo much!

For double fine, I've tried to get into psychonauts but couldn't (didn't really give it a chance tbh), played brutal legend demo (I didn't purchase after finding out about the RTS elements) enjoyed costume quest demo but the lack of voice acting was a bit weird from what I remember (would make a better portable game) and haven't played stacking. I have enjoyed many lucasarts games though.

My first one was Goblins 3, which came with my first pc. It was in French and I... don't speak french! Recently I played it again and I was very impressed at how far I had managed to get. The first one I actually finished was Monkey Island a short while later.

I guess my first was a demo of Escape from Monkey Island when I was quite young. Many years later I purchased the full game, played it and really liked it. I bought the HD special edition of Monkey Island 1 when it came out and then Monkey Island 2 HD. I've also played the more recent Tales of Monkey Island and Telltale's Back to the Future games too. I started Curse of Monkey Island one time, but I haven't finished it. I really should some time.

I guess I haven't really played a whole lot of point and click adventure games, but I do really like Monkey Island.

I believe Grim Fandango was my first adventure that I ever actually played myself. When I was a kid, a lot of the adventure games I watched were played by an older kid (usually the son of one of my mom's friends that we were visiting) who would never let me touch the computer in the illogical fear that "you don't know how to play" or "you'll just mess up the computer because you're a kid" (of course years later I'm the one people go to for tech support help heh). Then one week my mom needed to drop me off at one of her friend's houses everyday because they were working on something to do with teaching (can't remember what) and the older kid of the family finally let me play a game on their computer, Grim Fandango. They mostly wanted to make it easier to keep an eye on me but I had a lot of fun playing that game and appreciate it more as an adult (or whatever you would call a 20-something nerd).

My first adventure game was most likely King's Quest III.

I know it was a King's Quest game, and from what I can remember I went back and played I and II after starting with III.

Though Grim Fandango represents the pinnacle of adventure games for me, I still have a lot of love for the old King's Quest games.

Does Mixed Up Mother Goose count as an adventure game? I had so much fun with that as a kid back in the day.

Otherwise, King's Quest V or Monkey Island 1 I think.

Yes!! Mixed up Mother Goose was awesome good times. Mine was either that, or Hugo (which wasn't point and click) or KQ1 ( I remember having to ask how to spell tons of words) or maybe Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis. .. definitely probably one of those. Played a Ton of Sam and Max as a kid too.

Either Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade or Loom. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was Loom.

I'd love me an update of Loom (like the Monkey Island games received).

My first adventure games were King Quest V and VI and Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis

The first adventure game I ever saw was 'The Curse of Monkey Island', I use to enjoy taking part on the puzzles with my older brother.

The first adventure game I ever played was 'Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars' which I loved sooo much!

For double fine, I've tried to get into psychonauts but couldn't (didn't really give it a chance tbh), played brutal legend demo (I didn't purchase after finding out about the RTS elements) enjoyed costume quest demo but the lack of voice acting was a bit weird from what I remember (would make a better portable game) and haven't played stacking. I have enjoyed many lucasarts games though.

Should definitely give Stacking a go. Really feels like an adventure game, and is a lot of fun.

First one I played was Space Quest on the Apple II followed by a short stint playing Police Quest at a friends house.

The first one I beat was Colonels Bequest staring Laura Bow followed by the first couple Monkey Island Games and Leisure Suit Larry

Myst. Never really got a chance to really dig into it, the computer we had back then was a POS. I've been meaning to get a copy and do a proper play through since.

Actually, now that I think about it, my first adventure game (if it could be called an adventure game) was Museum Madness in elementary school. The library computers had it on one of them. I was the only one in my class able to beat it. :D

I think my first adventure game was Lego Island (if you consider that an adventure game).

Otherwise, my first point-and-click adventure game was Blue's Clues birthday thingy. I forgot the actual title. But yeah, I loved finding all the secrets by clicking on everything. I guess that's how I came to love adventure games.

Kings quest 5. "Look out Graham, a poooooioioiiosonous snake!" those words will forever be engraved in my mind

I see a lot of other people played KQV as well. In fact, it was the first game I really got into (even though I had played others.) It's not my favorite KQ game by any means, but I still feel very nostalgic about it...

My first experience would have been the original Monkey Island. Sat on my Dad's lap, watching him play it on an Amiga. I must've been about 4 or 5. Good times.

Curse of Monkey Island. I fell in love with the series with that game and that eventually lead to other adventure games. I've played through Curse several times since then and loved it each and every time.

Kings quest 5. "Look out Graham, a poooooioioiiosonous snake!" those words will forever be engraved in my mind

Oh, god! I remember that now!

Almost as bad as "Want some rye? 'Course you do!" from Return to Zork.

Sierra's Gold Rush! was my first adventure game. It three aspects to it which I loved: A rich story based in the californian gold rush era, keeping me engrossed for a long time as a kid; more detailed graphics in comparison to the older Sierra games; and it was awesome in how it had three routes you could travel to reach the end of the game, giving replayability and increasing its scope.

The thick manual about the history of the Californian gold rush was pretty neat too. A game educational, wtf?

And what other game allows you to get eaten by ants in Panama?

Hard to remember the very first, but I know my first video game was Adventure for Atari 2600, which is a convenient enough title for this thread! xD

Some of the earliest point-and-click and adventure-type games I remember from my childhood are Oregon Trail (the original and the second one), Amazon Trail, a really fun point-and-click game called Museum Madness, and Ancient Empires. All on PC. I still play most of them occasionally.

Sign in to follow this