Sign in to follow this  
Bent

What Kind Things Would You Like To See In The Documentary?

Being the kind of techno-savvy fashion-forward (read nerd) kind of guy that would donate to a kickstarter project there are certain things that I'd like to see in the documentary. Aside from Tim Schafer in costume doing the Bunny Dance, I'd like to see some of the serious technical discussions about the technology choices made for this game. Discussions such as: 'Is the game going to use Lua?', 'And if so (or not), what are its strengths and shortcomings?', 'What are the ramifications of making a game for so many different types platforms (i.e. PC, iOS, Android, etc.)?', and so forth and so on.

I know that 2 Player Productions likes to make entertaining character driven pieces that revolve around the personalities involved (and for some reason lots of footage of people driving) but for me the boring stuff is the interesting stuff and the stuff that I'd like to see.

I would be excited to see the art development, the script and puzzle design.

I just want to see Tim Schafer being funny.

Well, I'd be interested in all the technical stuff, but I wouldn't want to virtually sit through full technical discussions. I've had enough of that at work.

What ET3D said.

I'm mostly interested what thought goes into designing the puzzles, and the art.

But even though I did my share of C++/Engine development, I'm always open to hearing what Double Fine thinks about the technical aspects.

However, if they are using a third party engine, I think they might just work with what they have...

Tim told us they were going to tell us "how the sausage gets made" though.. So even if the really technical stuff might be a bit boring for the main documentation, maybe TwoPlayer productions can do some small "featurettes" on some of the more geeky aspects.

That would be great!

Brainstorming, failed experiements, stuff that won't end up in the actual game.

There does seem to be at least major two ways this documentary could take shape:

1. The fun kind of kind of story that keeps it light and focuses on people and only the interesting things they do.

2. The more procedural kind of story that goes in depth with the practical challenges faced when developing a game.

I personally think that 2 Player Productions will go with #1 (and I really don't blame them) but what's interesting is that both types of documentary could be constructed from the same pool of footage that 2 Player is going to collect. Wracky's notion of technical vignettes is a good one and I would love to see more discussions like the

, though maybe a little more geeky.

I do believe that there is a tremendous amount of educational value to really seeing how a first rate studio like Double Fine "makes the sausage". Maybe down the road 2 Player could do an educationally slanted series of videos and throw them on iTunesU or something.

Hey, guys. Just wanted to let you know that we've been talking about this internally and are brainstorming ideas for how to present this kind of content to the people that want to see it. At this early stage, we can't make any firm commitments on when or how this material will come out, but it's on our radar now.

I just want to see really candid video. The creative and the technical, the good and the bad, the funny and the serious.

I was going to say something about lots and lts of Ron Gilbert and how 2PP can make this a dual documentary about the development of this game and like the conversation between Ron and Tim about "What is an adventure game?" focus more on the history of adventure gaming with two of the architects there and the chance of using some veterans like Sean Clark and Bill Tiller for the game, but even if 2PP can just get interviews with them, that'd be awesome. I was going to say that...

BUT instead?

ASIF: Where did your icon come from? I guess I can PM you though... which I will, just in case... because I have to know!

Stuff id like to see

How does the programmers balance private life with work life? (Only applies to thous with both :-)

Tim being silly

Whats it like to be the new guy in the teams.

Do the other teams feel envious of the kicker project?

I want a detailed, but candy-coated look into the production of an adventure game.

As informative as a BBC documentary.

As funny as a quality comedy sketch.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that apart from the documentary episodes 2PP will also publish complete videos of tech meetings/discussions?

The corruption and the ruin of anything creative or exciting in the game industry. Or maybe just stuff.

A murder mystery! Someone has been killing off all the interns! Can Tim and the gang find the killer in time?

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that apart from the documentary episodes 2PP will also publish complete videos of tech meetings/discussions?

That would be rad!

Don't get me wrong. I'm betting that I'll like whatever 2 Player Productions comes up with. It's just that typical documentaries that claim to be about how something is made are really about the fact that something is being made. They show the people involved and some bits of the work in progress but they really fail to answer the question of specifically how something is made. It's a subtle difference.

Call it what you will Candid, In Depth, or Technical I think that given the nature of this project 2 Player Productions has a unique opportunity to really capture the minutia. Now, I don't know how many people (other than me) would be want to listen, to say, Tim Schafer have a 25 minute conversation about cross-compiling code but given this opportunity 2 Player Productions could really do something special.

I for one am looking forward to whatever comes out.

2PP Twitter: Had our first sit down interviews with @TimOfLegend and @grumpygamer post Kickstarter. Minds blown already.

Oh, I can't wait to see that!!!