Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maratanos

I officially hate you

I'm close enough to my chest with my e-mail address that I know what's going on with it. And what's going on is that Double Fine's blog has officially opened the floodgates of spam into my primary account.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that an e-mail address would be made public by posting a comment to your blog. It is not standard to do so. It is especially non-standard when there is only a username field and no e-mail address field.

And yet every single comment posted on your blog publicly places your e-mail address on the internet.

Do you know what a spider is? It crawls the internet looking for things. Spam kings build spiders to look for e-mail addresses. One found mine.

Overnight, I discovered that some twenty to thirty highly suspicious e-mails each with a URL appeared in my inbox, supposedly tied to the new year. It's certainly very educational, of course. Shows how dedicated and robust zombie networks can be. But I'd still prefer if it hadn't happened.

And I am not happy.

I was wondering about public email thing a while ago as well. I agree with you, there is no reason for that.

Sign in to follow this