Sign in to follow this  
Aristotlol

Things you don't want to see in the DFA

I don't have any particular thoughts here, I've seen that topic about what people want to see in the game so much I thought we might be able to use an opposite. Unless we already have one and I've forgotten.

One thing I don't want to see is a profusion of in-jokes, at least to the extent that this might be exclusionary. Well, to be honest I don't really care, but it's something I could easily see as being objectionable to some people.

I guess I don't want to see an ending that precludes the possibility of a sequel, but again not really that much...

Hm. In retrospect this thread might not be so useful.

Conversation puzzles?

Are you not a fan of the Monkey Island sword fighting?

I don't mind what they put in there as long as they do it right. I suppose if anything I just don't want it to be too casual. There must be some amount of challenge and longevity to it.

I'm happy with in-jokes and jokes...

I don't want to kill anything unless it's evil...

I don't want all the cool characters to be male.

I don't want music that I strongly dislike.

I don't want profanity because I want my little girl to watch me play/play it herself , too.

MOST OF ALL, I don't want it to be too short.

I'm not really worried that Double Fine making something I won't like, though.

=-)

mkc

I want the game to stand on its own. I don't want the game to be filled with internet memes which will soon be outdated.

No, I think conversation puzzles are great. I just don't want them to outnumber other kinds of puzzles too much (I'm looking at you, Telltale).

I don't like it in adventure games when your conversation choices aren't fully represented; that is, when your options are listed by topic, or by symbol, or are abbreviated. I think there's a good reason for this.

If I can only choose one option from a list in a conversation, I'm missing out on a lot of dialogue. At least if I can see all my options I know which sounds most promising or amusing, and I won't feel so often as though I should reload my game to find out what I missed (assuming the responses differ).

This sort of feeds into another worry of mine. Unlike some, I don't actively look forward to replaying games. People tend to talk about the merits of multiple puzzle solutions, for instance, and how this improves replayability, but I can see myself just feeling like I'd missed out when I finish the game. Especially with adventure games - they're probably the games I replay most, but I still need a couple of years to forget some of the solutions and for the writing to have the same sort of effect.

I would imagine most who play these games like those kind of choices. Half the fun of the medium is that you have some choice in how the story and dialogue progresses. Otherwise you could just fiddle with a rubick's cube and watch TV for the same experience.

I would imagine most who play these games like those kind of choices. Half the fun of the medium is that you have some choice in how the story and dialogue progresses. Otherwise you could just fiddle with a rubick's cube and watch TV for the same experience.

I don't think that counts against what I said - I'm not saying there shouldn't be choice, I'm saying we shouldn't have to choose every choice to have some good idea of what they involve.

I don't want to kill anything unless it's evil...

Yeah, the emphasize should definitely not be on killing! (that's the reason I haven't played brütal legend, I guess it's too brütal for me)

And the theme of the game should not be just one particular niche (like heavy metal, I guess that's a second reason I haven't played BL).

The theme/setting should be sth. almost everybody can relate, too (like in day of the tentacle, grim fandango, Psychonauts).

I'd prefer the central characters be somewhat realistically human (as in Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle), and not super cartoonish (as in Psychonauts, Sam and Max, Grim Fandango, etc).

the one thing i dont like seeing in aventure games and this hurts replayabilty alot is.

when you need to be told how to do somthing to be able to do it.

for example

you have duck tape a valve and there is a pipe that is leaking but the game wont let you use the valve to turn off the pipe until someone tells you to. and you cant use the tape till someone else tells you to.

the in game txt says something like "i have no reason to use that here" if you try to early.

i find this ertating when i play to begin with because i then think im not suppose to turn it off or i have to use something else first so it just stalls me in a bad way.

and in another play through why do i have to be told too

Characters that just stand there and talk to themselves or directly to the player. Put two characters on screen like Sam and Max or do noir-style inner monologue or Sierra-style narrator or SOMETHING other than the character staring creepily at me as if he's speaking directly to me saying "I can't reach that."

Not really sure about the violence question..

Schabert have a good track record of making games funny to adults but accessible and enjoyable for 'young adults' and children. Gore would be bad, right, but not necessarily all (cartoon) violence. Think Adventure Time, for instance. That's already their established tone.

Characters that just stand there and talk to themselves or directly to the player. Put two characters on screen like Sam and Max or do noir-style inner monologue or Sierra-style narrator or SOMETHING other than the character staring creepily at me as if he's speaking directly to me saying "I can't reach that."

Aw, but the LucasArts adventures use that to hilarious effect!

It was the one real vice that LA adventures always suffered from. Sam and Max got it right, though, and that's part of why I think that was the funniest one.

It was the one real vice that LA adventures always suffered from. Sam and Max got it right, though, and that's part of why I think that was the funniest one.

Aw, boo! Guybrush was my friend!

I don't want to see 90% of the stuff that's been posted in the "Random things you’d like to see in the game" thread.

DLC.

Along the lines of pay a $1.00 so the main character can wear a funny hat kinda DLC. I'd dig expansions or episodes but only if they don't make it seem like the story of the DFA is incomplete without them.

I don't want to see 90% of the stuff that's been posted in the "Random things you’d like to see in the game" thread.

+1

"I would not like to see random things in this game."

Based on the short time I spent in that thread, I'm inclined to agree.

Random humor = funny when it's random, i.e. a surprise. That means, at best, you get one or two.

Easter eggs = Awesome. But I'd rather the easter eggs be original and surprising, not taken directly from a forum suggestion.

Also, I think it's better to let the people who are famous for their kind of humor just be funny by themselves. It's cool to give feedback on what we like/don't like in terms of games, but if we're talking about humor, I say let the funny people be funny. I mean, would you give George Carlin "good joke ideas" for a "good George Carlin show"? Just let George Carlin be funny! That's why he's famous and you're not! Maybe I'm just being cynical, but that's my take on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My own personal things I wouldn't want to see?

1) Pixel hunting puzzles. But I think that's a given.

2) Conversation puzzles are fine, but they get old really fast when not used with discretion. (I'm also looking at you TellTale. I was really enjoying Sam & Max, but I got burned out on Abe Lincoln Must Die. It's a genius episode, but it's 95% conversation puzzles, which puts me to sleep, as much as I love the satire.)

This is going to make me sound sexist, but I don't want a female protagonist. Females are great and all, but it's just a personal preference, I find it easier to relate to male protagonists most of the time. Of course, other people might find the opposite, so, it's not really anyone's call to make except DF's.

No freaking Math puzzles! No visual puzzles that look like they basically borrowed from the Millers.

A LOT of the modern games of recent years (including awesome ones like The Whispered World) have made me want to rip my head off because suddenly I'm staring at a MYST like puzzle with trying to figure how a square fits in a circle and how to make 3-7=Green.

These puzzles can be done intelligently and well done, but most turn them into a Brain Drain type thing.

If I wanted MYST I'd hope that Robyn and Rand did a kickstarter for a new IP.

Not saying Double Fine would do anything like that puzzle wise, but I don't want it or if they do them, make them skippable like in A New Beginning, where it's a puzzle that doesn't effect story if skipped.

No freaking Math puzzles!

No visual puzzles...

If the puzzle isn't a logic (math) puzzle, and if it isn't a visual puzzle, what kind of puzzle are you thinking of? Taking away logic and visuals kills about 99% of all puzzles I've ever done in a game.

No freaking Math puzzles!

No visual puzzles...

If the puzzle isn't a logic (math) puzzle, and if it isn't a visual puzzle, what kind of puzzle are you thinking of? Taking away logic and visuals kills about 99% of all puzzles I've ever done in a game.

Inventory, dialog, and environmental puzzles.

I don't really want to have to solve a rubik's cube or whatever in the middle of my adventure game. Although I don't mind some scattered logic puzzles here and there if they're not taking over the game.

Inventory, dialog, and environmental puzzles.

I don't really want to have to solve a rubik's cube or whatever in the middle of my adventure game. Although I don't mind some scattered logic puzzles here and there if they're not taking over the game.

I agree with you on the environmental puzzles. I love those (assuming they make some sort of sense).

But with dialogue and inventory puzzles... I don't know. I guess I would have to see the puzzle in question to be sure. Adventure games use those a lot, and they are a staple to the genre, so I want there to be some of that, but to me those never really feel like puzzles. Usually you're just kinda trying stuff until something works, or else someone just gives you a clue that you should use inventory object A on inventory object B, and then you do, and it's over. There's not really any headscratching going on.

I understand the concern. It's an adventure game and not a puzzle game. I guess it's just a matter of what our favorite kinds of puzzles are. For me, personally, I like the more logic-oriented ones. Like Ron Gilbert said in one of the recent videos: when you fail to solve a puzzle in a game, it should ideally feel more like "Oh, pfft, I should have figured THAT out" and not so much like "How was I supposed to know that?! That's dumb?!" And in my personal experience, I associate logical puzzles more with the former and the dialogue/inventory puzzles with the latter. Dialogue and inventory puzzles can be sort of arbitrary, and I'm not a big fan of that in huge doses.

A silly inside joke or two is fine, as well as a few references/homages, but they certainly should be very few and very far between. The game should be able to stand on its own two feet and those new to adventure games should not feel like they're missing out on the humor because it involves some reference that they aren't aware of. For example, I think the various cameos in LucasArts adventure games were handled well. They're subtle enough to fly right over the head of anyone unaware of their origins, but they'll get a grin out of someone who's knows what they're from.

The puzzle types should be varied, of course. I wouldn't want to see one type of puzzle overpower the others, even if it's of a variety I find enjoyable. The best adventure games have a healthy blend of everything to keep the game fresh.