Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gavingardner

Paid $100, got $30 reward tier

You deserve customer service because you donated money?

+1

Let's all calm down and forget our troubles over a big bowl of strawberry ice-cream. I don't think there's anything useful to be added here.

Hey gavingardner,

I've put a note on your account and will make sure you get the $100 reward tier. Sorry for the slow response, there have been a lot of folks with the same issue and we're doing our best to keep up.

Does anyone get that feeling when someone from DF comes in in the middle of a heated thread, like the teacher has just walked in, in the middle of a fight?

You deserve customer service because you donated money?

Ignoring the fact that gavingardner is being a tad unreasonable, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that a company should offer customer service to their customers.

Does anyone get that feeling when someone from DF comes in in the middle of a heated thread, like the teacher has just walked in, in the middle of a fight?

Hah, pretty much, yeah. It's like I just stuck that spitball into the straw... uh oh.

@DFGreg:

Quick question. Are there any plans to create a way, separate from Kickstarter, for people to buy access to the documentary and related extras while this Adventure phenomenon is still unfolding?

If not, may I humbly suggest it. Now that more information is coming out about how the documentary might take shape, I for one no longer think I'll be content with just seeing the documentary and I'm willing to buy more access in order to see the extras.

@DFGreg:

Quick question. Are there any plans to create a way, separate from Kickstarter, for people to buy access to the documentary and related extras while this Adventure phenomenon is still unfolding?

If not, may I humbly suggest it. Now that more information is coming out about how the documentary might take shape, I for one no longer think I'll be content with just seeing the documentary and I'm willing to buy more access in order to see the extras.

You know, as much as I can see your point, it's a bit of a disservice to the backers at that level. I would be really, tragically sad if a year from now they offered the full boxed copy of the game and BD-DVD of the documentary for $45 at Best Buy. I mean, I'm glad I gave them my money, and what they decide to do is what they decide to do. Still...

Probably not while its running but after its done they will probably sell the documentary/game in the end.

Though Tim Schafer already said all the stuff will be limited editions only available through kickstarter. So they will probably either only sell it as digital download or if they sell hardcopy it will have different box art.

@DFGreg:

You know, as much as I can see your point, it's a bit of a disservice to the backers at that level. I would be really, tragically sad if a year from now they offered the full boxed copy of the game and BD-DVD of the documentary for $45 at Best Buy. I mean, I'm glad I gave them my money, and what they decide to do is what they decide to do. Still...

Well, I'm not talking about buying the physical kickstarter extras or even the game. I'm just referring to the digital version of the documentary and the digital documentary related material. And I could see this stuff costing more to buy than the equivalent kickstarter pledge. This way, DF sees more revenue and the backers don't feel slighted for their willingness to pledge early. There is definitely something special going on with this DFA project and in the proposed scenario people who didn't have the foresight to pledge would get the opportunity to see it unfold, albeit at a premium.

@DFGreg:

Well, I'm not talking about buying the physical kickstarter extras or even the game. I'm just referring to the digital version of the documentary and the digital documentary related material. And I could see this stuff costing more to buy than the equivalent kickstarter pledge. This way, DF sees more revenue and the backers don't feel slighted for their willingness to pledge early. There is definitely something special going on with this DFA project and in the proposed scenario people who didn't have the foresight to pledge would get the opportunity to see it unfold, albeit at a premium.

You have the wrong mindset here. You backed the game to support double fine in making a new adventure title, right? You should be estatic that the game is being made. You paved the way for others to enjoy a new adventure game from awesome creators. Be happy!!

If you feel slighted when the game is released you werent really a 'backer' in my opinion.

@DFGreg:

You have the wrong mindset here. You backed the game to support double fine in making a new adventure title, right? You should be estatic that the game is being made. You paved the way for others to enjoy a new adventure game from awesome creators. Be happy!!

If you feel slighted when the game is released you werent really a 'backer' in my opinion.

@Cuddles:

Respectfully, I can't really tell if you're talking to xepherys or myself. If you were talking to me then I should tell you that I decided to back this project primary to see the neat 'technical stuff' in the documentary and that the game was just bonus. When I decided to pledge it was my impression that the 'documentary extras' would be like that of DVDs, mostly outtakes and bloopers. I don't really care about the outakes or bloopers so I pledged at the $15 level. If you've been following the documentary thread you know that it looks like that the neat 'technical stuff' may end up being shuffled primarily into the extras. Hence, my conundrum.

If, however, you were talking to xepherys then I believe that his point about devaluing the higher level kickstarter bonus has some merit. That is why I suggested not only limiting what would be sold to the digital documentary and related extras but to tack on a premium as well. As for the rest of his post I'll let him explain his thinking.

Think of it this way, generally, the more money a project like this can get the better, and the $30 (or whatever) I send them this week will have no less of an effect than if I had sent it last week.

I hope that DF will sell the game to the general public once it is finished. The money I gave them was to get the game made in the first place. I think it's great if DF can make even more money with this project so that they are more flexible when it comes to future projects.

I don't believe anyone suggested the actual game be held back from the public- just the "extras" that people paid more for with the expectation they'd be exclusive to backers. Nulian pointed out that even if they end up selling the same content to the general public, it'd be packaged differently which seems pretty reasonable.

The whole thing seemed to be a bit of a misunderstanding- xepherys was saying that it would be a downer if people could get the same boxed game + documentary content for less than what backers pledged, and Bent was saying that he wouldn't mind paying more than the original pledge level if it meant he had more access to extras and documentary footage. I don't believe anyone's toes would get stepped on in that scenario.

Personally, I'm almost as interested in the documentary as I am in the actual game. That being said, I'm not going to feel slighted if the documentary is included with the game release to the general public. I know I'd appreciate the opportunity to see how a project like this comes together even if I hadn't been privy to the inception of it all.

I don't believe anyone suggested the actual game be held back from the public- just the "extras" that people paid more for

And there's the disconnect. We didn't "pay more" for anything. We decided to back at a higher level. The extras are a "thank you", not a quid pro quo.

Both sides have points, but I personally don't think that future generations of Double Finers should be excluded from watching this stuff. I mean, I personally didn't back the project because I'm broke and kinda need to eat. But I also knew about it when it was happening and made the choice not to contribute. But this Kickstarter thing is good publicity for Double Fine and I bet that at least a few players will be 'converted' here in the future because of it. I think it would be bad press if these people were permanentally excluded from the extra material once the game is out and released. I am definitely for the documentary and extras being released to the 'public' later on, even if it is for a higher price.

@elborak

Honestly, this response feels a bit awkward because I don't know exactly what point of mine you were disagreeing with as I was just trying to help clear up what seemed to be a misunderstanding. I was working to avoid a "What are your motivations for backing?" discussion because I can't see it being terribly productive.

Philosophically, I agree with you. I never donate money with the intent of being paid back for it. If I get cool stuff out of it, that's dandy... if I don't, well, that's dandy too because I would only have given it to someone/something I was happy to support. Realistically though, there are a large number of people who pledged money to KickStarter with the "purchase" mentality. Whether one feels they are right or wrong in that thinking is beside the point- it would be silly to ignore the fact that a lot of folks feel they paid for exclusivity/swag/limited edition art/etc. While I'm not one of these people, I can see how they'd be put out if the reward tiers they pledged toward were ultimately sold off for less than their pledge amounts when everything's said and done.

I never said anyone was right or wrong for feeling the way they feel about pledging. I didn't put money in for the sake of exclusivity or a boxed collector edition- I contributed because I really enjoy DF's adventure games and I wanted to be part of this Creative Team+Consumer collaboration. I don't think I'm somehow better than someone who pledged/paid for swag or exclusivity though. We all have our own motivations and the cool thing is, whatever those motives might be, they've all come together to make this venture possible. So... huzzah! :D

Initiate Sequence tl;dr

We have to respect our original backers and the pledges they made. For this reason, we won't be selling the shirts, posters, art book, or collector's edition of the game after the project is complete. We will however be making both the game and documentary available for purchase for those who may have missed out on the first go round. They just won't be able to get all the sexy extras the backers do!

Looks like an innocent mistake and it's nice that Double Fine are being so cool about it. On exclusivity, I hope that as many people as possible have access to the game and documentary. I hope they both see plenty of retail sales in whatever form that may be. Perhaps if the eventual retail boxed copy was packaged or decorated differently to the backer boxes, some concerns about exclusivity would be alleviated. I pledged for the box, but I couldn't be less concerned about someone else getting the box cheaper or anything like that. To me the joy is in helping make this game and documentary happen, and the more people it can deliver some happiness to the better. We could think of our pledges not just as a gifts to Double Fine, but a gifts to the world by helping Double Find bring something awesome into it.

Edit: That sounds great, Greg. I hope you guys do more art books in the future, though. I'd love to have some Double Fine goodness on my coffee table (ok, I don't really have a coffee table). I'd have pledged for it were I able to afford it.

@DFGreg:

To clarify, I was inquiring about being able to buy into the documentary while the project is still 'live'. There is something special about being able to see the episodic updates while development is still ongoing that just won't be captured by the compilation later on.

I know a forum post isn't the most expedient way to get an answer but I figure that worst case, it will eventually become apparent on its own.

Sign in to follow this