Sign in to follow this  
Bent

What if it Sucks?

I played Grim Fandango and DOTT countless times and enjoyed Pshychonauts a lot, so I don't think this will disappoint me

If the game sucks, it sucks. Deal with it. :)

The fact that it was your money shouldn't make any difference because that's the key point in my eyes, it was your money, until you gave it to Double Fine to make a game.

If you weren't comfortable with the idea that there a good chance (I have faith in these guys to make an awesome product, but the chance for disappointment is ever less than significant) that it will suck. If you went in with that mindset and pledged that way I think you'll be comfortable. If you cling on to the idea that it's your money, it's just going to eat away at you for the next 18 months.

I wasn't particularly popular for saying this on the Wasteland forums but it's how I feel, when you backed this project you did more than just pre-order a game ( a LOT more) and in reality, whether or not the game is any good doesn't actually matter in the grand scheme of what these projects hope to accomplish. So if that's a legitimate concern for you, you should have re-considered pledging and instead simply bought the game on release after you've got a better idea whether or not it's any good.

If this game fails, Tim Schafer will be known as "the guy who killed adventure games". While it may sound like an interesting way to achieve immortality, I'm not sure it's the epitaph he wants. ;)

We're in a strange time right now, that due to the lack of specifics, the game can be all things to all people.

That's right.

It's probably the worst thing right now about the game. We don't know anything about it, so it can be fucking awesome or terrible.

However, there are 87,142 backers and some of those people are bound to be disappointed. Suppose you're one of them, would you be ok with it?

I'm actually preparing myself to be one of them. Not setting my expectations too high because I don't know what to think of it.

Would you still like Double Fine?

I don't particularly like or dislike Double Fine. Only games matter.

Yeah, I know I'm on the official forums and I'm expected to "like" Double Fine. I can only say that I "respect" Double Fine. Would I lose my respect if the game turns out to be terrible ? Not really. I still believe it was a bold move to launch that kickstarter project and I would still think that even after the game releases.

Would you ever back another kicksarter game?

It really depends.

Another kickstarter game made by Double Fine ? Or another kickstarter game by someone else ?

What I can tell you is that I probably won't back another kickstarter project unless I am given material about the direction of the game. If it's like the Banner Saga and I'm being shown artwork and gameplay, then yeah, I will fund the game (if it's good, that is). But if it's like Double Fine Adventure where I don't know anything beforehand, then probably not.

And furthermore, what constitutes success? Does the DFA simply have to be a solid adventure game the is reminiscent of beloved favorites or does it have to be a groundbreaking runaway hit that instantly becomes a classic in its own right?

Solid adventure game would be good enough for me. I've seen a lot of people pissed by the quality of the Back to the Future game by Telltale, and even though it's not a classic, I would be happy if the DFA turns out to be as good.

It is what it is and it will be what it will be.

I am very excited that I had the opportunity to back the game and I thank Felicia Day for posting it on Facebook or I might not have heard about it (I don't spend a lot of time in forums and what not). The reality of the whole situation is that I gave my money on the understanding that they are going to make a game with it of a style that I like and appreciate. They say they're going to film the development... that's ok. They say that my suggestions and those of the other backers will be read and taken into account, that's fine too. The end result, however, is that a group of professionals are going to make a game with my money, a game I get a copy of at the end.

That's good enough for me, because I don't make video games and I don't know the first thing about programming. They can make the game and I'll be happy with getting my copy. I am confident that, if the game should not be a success (whatever that means) it will be because of their ability to create it, not my ability to give them money (which just facilitates, but doesn't provide anything concrete to the process). If it is a failure (again, I'm unclear on what would make it so), then it will be a professionally produced failure as opposed to a broken mess made by "joe" in his bedroom while mom and dad were sleeping.

I own a game called "Starship Titanic" which was considered a failure do to it's difficulty and some glitches, bit it's a fantastic piece of gaming history as it was made in direct collaboration with Douglas Adams, who is the author of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (if you were not already aware).

The Double Fine Adventure is going to be something like that; at it's conceivable worst - considering who is making the game - it will be a significant piece of gaming history, and thus well worth the investment.

what if it sucks? well, I'll figure it out when it's out and it does suck. until then, it'll be bloody amazing ;-)

Hopefully it wont suck... Hmmm... Wait till its finished. So far I enjoy everyting I'll see.

Double Fine are in a position where it doesnt really matter if the game doesnt sell well. Normally they would have to make a profit on the money loaned to them by the publisher. In this case they have the money but dont have to pay us back.

Regardless im sure the team at Double Fine would rather make a great game and make some new fans. With a lot of people watching and high expectations all round the pressure is certainly on.

If it sucks it sucks, I'm looking forward to seeing this baby get made and all the fun that happens in between. BUT here's hoping to it not sucking. :P

I think with all the hype so far some people will be disappointed.

This is inevitable, when people build something up in the hearts for what they expect and its different they can get a little pissed.

Mass Effect 3 being the best example. Although I'm sure adventure couldn't cause that much of a controversy.

to me, if the game isnt great its not the end of the world. I put in my money for the experience of being part of this whole crazy experiment. as long as these forums still exists and all the promises Double Fine made about what we'd get for the money get fulfilled then im happy.

The game cost me $15.

The developers are great.

This is what Tim REALLY wants to do.

The game is going to be good.

And even if it's "a spectacular failure", a camera crew got to follow them around: but guess what, the community is going to be involved, so if it sucks it is our fault and our fault alone.

But really, there is absolutely no reason why this game will be anything subpar. It will probably be excellent. If not excellent, still well above average. And that should be apparent to anyone who has really played a Double Fine game before.

And that should be apparent to anyone who has really played a Double Fine game before.

There is no need for the confrontational language, let's not start this out with any derivative of "I'm smarter than you." Keep the pretentious language out of the forum, since we're all backers here, and thus, have absolutely no reason to get snarky with one another.

I wondered that too... but it wouldn't be the first crappy game I bought... And I like the idea of fan funded games. (Even the crappy ones.)

Give gaming back to the gamers!

i've already gotten my money's worth just being involved in the development of this game

how exciting that i can actually fund a game developer that i like, before the game is made! wooo hoooo! =D

and get to see how it happens, and have it all documented ... mannnn ... the game isn't the adventure, this whole process is the adventure!

and if those "dissapointed backers" didn't participate in the forums, or other cool stuff that a backer is privy to before the game release, well its their loss! =D

PS: but i'm sure the game will be great anyway ;-) ... i've yet to play a Tim game that i didnt like ;P

And that should be apparent to anyone who has really played a Double Fine game before.

There is no need for the confrontational language, let's not start this out with any derivative of "I'm smarter than you." Keep the pretentious language out of the forum, since we're all backers here, and thus, have absolutely no reason to get snarky with one another.

My opinion that a fan of Double Fine would know this game will do anything but "suck" is just that, an opinion, and it wasn't confrontational in the least. Please redirect your attention elsewhere.

Even if for some ungodly reason it sucks, the journey itself would justify my price of admission to witness. Game development has always been this myth to me and I only know the general process from the occasional behind the scenes but I've never really seen a a behind the scenes for a full game being developed like this.

I enjoy a good point and click adventure game, especially from the era that Tim came from so this is an absolute treat to see how it's made.

If it sucks, then it sucks, and it will be no different for me personally from any other game that I've paid money for, and which I subsequently found out, sucked.

It won't suck. Double Fine doesn't release things that suck.

Although the timeframe sucks a bit.

My guess is that in order to spend 3 million well, the release date might turn out to suck somewhere into 2013.

It couldn't possibly suck as much as ME3's ending, so even in a worst case scenario the BioWare fans among us at least come prepared.

Well, it sucking was a possibility raised in the initial pitch. If it does suck we get to see the great building of the sucky thing and watch it crash and burn.

I'm not worried about it and we shouldn't make DF worry about it.

I am fully expecting a good/bad game... or no game at all :o

It's like Tim said in the first video: "Whether it all goes well or it all goes to hell, we're going to show you every step of the way". Or something like that. I think even if the game doesn't turn out all that great, just seeing how a game is made is worth the price of admission. But hey, Tim hasn't let me down before and I don't expect him to let me down now.

I'm not worried if its bad its bad. I think it will be a fun experiment to see how it all goes. And if it goes well hopefully it catches on, I like the idea of fan backed games. You pay for things you want and get (hopefully) more of what you want.

I'm not worried if its bad its bad. I think it will be a fun experiment to see how it all goes. And if it goes well hopefully it catches on, I like the idea of fan backed games. You pay for things you want and get (hopefully) more of what you want.

Ditto!

I was trying to figure out how I wanted to word my sentiment, but Doki already nailed it.

Brutal Legend: Broken,obviously rushed,over simplified,and short.

Psychonauts: Lackluster gameplay,too much running back and forth to find everything,and some areas "walled off" even though they shouldn't be.

The point and click adventure games: You play through once and that's it,there's nothing really left to do.

All of these games are not perfect. All of these games are by Tim Schafer. All of these games are still more fun than most of the popular titles out there. Tim Schafer might not make the most technically advanced games out there,but he does know how to entertain. And that's why DFA might have bugs,glitches,and flaws,but it's still gonna be awesome.

Besides,the backers get in the beta. We can make sure it doesn't suck.

Brutal Legend: Broken,obviously rushed,over simplified,and short.

Psychonauts: Lackluster gameplay,too much running back and forth to find everything,and some areas "walled off" even though they shouldn't be.

The point and click adventure games: You play through once and that's it,there's nothing really left to do.

All of these games are not perfect. All of these games are by Tim Schafer. All of these games are still more fun than most of the popular titles out there. Tim Schafer might not make the most technically advanced games out there,but he does know how to entertain. And that's why DFA might have bugs,glitches,and flaws,but it's still gonna be awesome.

Besides,the backers get in the beta. We can make sure it doesn't suck.

agreed! if it does suck, its the backers own fault for not beta testing it properly! .....

Just in response to the initial question-

The distinction to make here is that nobody has come out and said, "we are making this awesome game and it will be great its going to be really funny you will love it." The only thing that was said was "we want to make a game that we hope will be fun and would you like to contribute to this project?" So my expectations are high given the talent working on the game, but I don't think my hopes have been inflated. I am also pretty confident in DFA's success for the same reasons.

Voodoo Doll into the sun, hands down.

Nah, if I have half the fun I had with Psychonauts, this will be more than a success. These guys know what we want more than us.