Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bent

What if it Sucks?

Obviously because we put up our own money we think it'll be awesome and, yes, I know that Tim Schafer is the man and all. But, ya know...What If?

We're in a strange time right now, that due to the lack of specifics, the game can be all things to all people. However, there are 87,142 backers and some of those people are bound to be disappointed. Suppose you're one of them, would you be ok with it? Would you still like Double Fine? Would you ever back another kicksarter game? Would you construct a huge rocket in order to fire your Tim Schafer VooDoo doll into the sun?

And furthermore, what constitutes success? Does the DFA simply have to be a solid adventure game the is reminiscent of beloved favorites or does it have to be a groundbreaking runaway hit that instantly becomes a classic in its own right?

Interesting question, especially in light of the recent outcry against the ending of Mass Effect 3. However, I would NEVER do that to me Tim Schafer VooDoo (love) doll.

Yes, of the 87k+ backers, some are sure to be disappointed. It would be nice to think that people could move past such incidents, but inevitably some will complain very vocally. Should be fun to watch it all go down :P

There's the documentary that I am relying on. That's half the fun. The other half can fail, but in that case, I hope the failure will be spectacular (as seen on the documentary).

Obviously because we put up our own money we think it'll be awesome and, yes, I know that Tim Schafer is the man and all. But, ya know...What If?

We're in a strange time right now, that due to the lack of specifics, the game can be all things to all people. However, there are 87,142 backers and some of those people are bound to be disappointed. Suppose you're one of them, would you be ok with it? Would you still like Double Fine? Would you ever back another kicksarter game? Would you construct a huge rocket in order to fire your Tim Schafer VooDoo doll into the sun?

And furthermore, what constitutes success? Does the DFA simply have to be a solid adventure game the is reminiscent of beloved favorites or does it have to be a groundbreaking runaway hit that instantly becomes a classic in its own right?

STFU!!! IT WON"T SUCK!!! GTFO!!! BLARG!!!!

STFU!!! IT WON"T SUCK!!! GTFO!!! BLARG!!!!

lol :lol:

I don't think there's anything wrong with high expectations, as long as you have a mature approach to disappointment. Even if the game's bad, I'd rather spend a year hyped up and excited followed by a couple of weeks disappointed before moving on with my life, than spend a year preparing for the worst and then two weeks telling everyone I warned them so.

There are no perfect games out there. People will find a reason to complain about anything these days, and the more popular the game gets, the more complaining we'll see. Not exactly something we can avoid, IMO. Any game that sells 100k copies won't appeal to every customer. I bought games in the past based on people's recommendations, and I didn't like them all either.

DF has made wonderful games in the past, and this right here is hardly "make it or lose it all" situation for them. They are however, the first studio to make it this big from the Kickstarter, so a lot of people are watching. If, for whatever reason, they fail at making a successful game, it could have a negative effect on any future Kickstarter projects. Wasteland 2 from inXile is another project that will be closely monitored.

Like Tim said in the Kickstarter video: Either it will be a great success or a spectacular failure caught on camera for all to see.

Sure, I'm more interested in the game than in the documentary, but the insights into the making of this adventure game will be surely quite fascinating in itself.

I don't think there's anything wrong with high expectations, as long as you have a mature approach to disappointment. Even if the game's bad, I'd rather spend a year hyped up and excited followed by a couple of weeks disappointed before moving on with my life, than spend a year preparing for the worst and then two weeks telling everyone I warned them so.

Preparing for the worst? Nah, I'm just planning to forgetting about it for a year after the first documentary episode (I'll watch them all after I play the game).

As long as it isn't Star Wars Episode 1 bad then Double Fine is safe.

If it makes me laugh i'll consider it a success. Although I doubt it will have such ground breaking dialog as "My name is Guybrush Threepwood and I wanna be a pirate."

High expectations are the enemy. There's no doubt about that. (Remember the last time you went to the cinema and you had your socks blown off? What were your expectations before you went in? Remember the last time you went to the cinema and you left feeling bitterly disappointed? What were you expectations then? I rest my case.)

But if this game blows (or rather, I'm someone who doesn't like it), I'm quite prepared to accept that. This whole thing is a gamble. I'm looking forward to playing it, no doubt, and I HOPE it will be amazing, but I'll be perfectly happy to accept if I don't like it. (That is, provided it's not 90% great, but the other 10% is so bad that it ruins the whole experience - that will frustrate me no end!)

But whatever happens, happens. The whole experience, (being able to fund a Tim Schafer game, and watching history being made), has ALREADY been hugely enjoyable! And I expect the next few months, watching the game come together, will also be incredibly enjoyable.

However the final game turns out, I'm already glad I spent $120 on this project!

I DESERVE A GOOD GAME! ;-)

^ wins the forum!

Cuddles, this is because you are an investor, and not just a customer, right?! ;-)

High expectations are the enemy. There's no doubt about that. (Remember the last time you went to the cinema and you had your socks blown off? What were your expectations before you went in? Remember the last time you went to the cinema and you left feeling bitterly disappointed? What were you expectations then? I rest my case.)

But if this game blows (or rather, I'm someone who doesn't like it), I'm quite prepared to accept that. This whole thing is a gamble. I'm looking forward to playing it, no doubt, and I HOPE it will be amazing, but I'll be perfectly happy to accept if I don't like it. (That is, provided it's not 90% great, but the other 10% is so bad that it ruins the whole experience - that will frustrate me no end!)

But whatever happens, happens. The whole experience, (being able to fund a Tim Schafer game, and watching history being made), has ALREADY been hugely enjoyable! And I expect the next few months, watching the game come together, will also be incredibly enjoyable.

However the final game turns out, I'm already glad I spent $120 on this project!

That's an interesting technique you have there of resting your case before I've had a chance to respond. ;P The answer actually is that I can't really remember. Usually I love the things I expect to love and don't love the things I expect not to love. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, sometimes I'm disappointed. Having high expectations only affects this in a couple of small ways:

1) I can be disappointed, sometimes. No biggie, though, I get over it.

2) I get excited about things, which I enjoy, and I like the feeling of excitement paying off, too.

Give it some more thought ;)

I did. My conclusion was that a) my expectations are usually on the money and b) when they're not, it's no big deal. :)

Then we'll tell them why it sucked and they will improve. But since we're going to be giving a lot of feedback throughout the process, I don't think that's going to happen.

So what was the last film you came out of the cinema and went "HOLY SHIT! THAT WAS FREAKING AMAZING!!"? And what was the last film you came out of the cinema going, "Man, what a terrible disappointment!"?

So what was the last film you came out of the cinema and went "HOLY SHIT! THAT WAS FREAKING AMAZING!!"? And what was the last film you came out of the cinema going, "Man, what a terrible disappointment!"?

Can I do it for games, instead? I don't watch a ton of films in the cinema, and they're usually ones I already expect to be good. There's another problem with your framing of the question, though: disappointment, as a word, necessarily implies expectation of something better. Something being 'freaking amazing' though is expectation-independent. So for it to be a fair question, the real question needs to be:

"what was the last film you came out of the cinema and went "HOLY SHIT! THAT WAS FREAKING AMAZING!!"? And what was the last film you came out of the cinema going, "Man, that was AWFUL!"?" and the equivalent for games.

If you don't get your expectations too high the game will be great. High expectations are your enemy.
High expectations are the enemy. There's no doubt about that. (Remember the last time you went to the cinema and you had your socks blown off? What were your expectations before you went in? Remember the last time you went to the cinema and you left feeling bitterly disappointed? What were you expectations then?

If high expectations are the enemy, should Double Fine be concerned about how high expectations have gotten? Can they reasonably manage expectations given that it was those same high expectations that prompted people to back the project to begin with? What are people's expectations anyway?

If you don't get your expectations too high the game will be great. High expectations are your enemy.
High expectations are the enemy. There's no doubt about that. (Remember the last time you went to the cinema and you had your socks blown off? What were your expectations before you went in? Remember the last time you went to the cinema and you left feeling bitterly disappointed? What were you expectations then?

If high expectations are the enemy, should Double Fine be concerned about how high expectations have gotten? Can they reasonably manage expectations given that it was those same high expectations that prompted people to back the project to begin with? What are people's expectations anyway?

Precisely. It was high expectations that got this project funded to the tune of nearly 3.5 million in the first place. To me, setting high expectations is like saying a great big yes to the future. And saying yes is what makes things happen.

Precisely. It was high expectations that got this project funded to the tune of nearly 3.5 million in the first place. To me, setting high expectations is like saying a great big yes to the future. And saying yes is what makes things happen.

I'm really asking. :)

The only thing that would really upset me is if they made a bland, forgettable game. A flawed or divisive one worth talking about, that's fine.

But if the game came out awful, I wouldn't be upset that I donated. I'd be disappointed like I would if any game I was looking forward to didn't pan out, but I spent my money because I believe it's important to take chances on the right people, and I recognize that if you do that, you're not going to pick a winner every time, and that's ok. I believe in Double Fine and I believe in the idea of crowdsourcing and I'm glad we could make it happen.

My expectations are pretty high, though. Double Fine isn't perfect, but their strengths are charm, creativity, characters... qualities that are enough to carry an adventure game. I'm pretty confident.

I have only played Grim Fandango. Saw the trailers for Stacking & Psychonauts.

What If it didn't suck.

Just let the pot brew by its own and trust the chefs. If they listen to every single one of us.... it will be Too many cooks spoiling the broth.

I figure the most plausible source of disappointment is game length - If anyone gets too hung up on the game being as long as Grim or Monkey 2 and it ends up being more concise than that, maybe they will feel let down.

For me, though, it can't really go wrong. Even that host-master game was enjoyable. A point and click adventure with HD hand-painted graphics, voice, the Double Fine stamp of creativity and character... Even if it ended up full of strange choices, missed opportunities, and was universally believed to be the worst adventure game Tim Schafer had ever been involved in (which doesn't seem likely), it would still be a unique and visually interesting game. I would still be able to recognize and be inspired by the creativity of the development team... and I'd learn something about game design.

I'm optimistic. That one discussion vid between Tim and Ron pretty much said to me that the doco alone will be more than worth what I pledged anyway. The game would have to deliberately melt my motherboard or siphon money from my bank account for me to feel like I got a raw deal.

Sign in to follow this