Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GenoForPrez

Have you supported any other game's kickstarter?

There have been games trying to get funding through kickstarter since before the DFA, but the success of the DFA has directly inspired more of them and created a surge in the ones that were already there.

Like some others, I am now sort of addicted to finding new projects to support and then refreshing the hell out of the page to watch the funding rise.

The two big ones I keep hearing about now that the DFA kickstarter is closed are the Wasteland 2 kickstarter and the Banner Saga kickstarter.

Has anyone found any other interesting kickstarters lately? Have you contributed to any others?

Remember the Creatures series? Steve Grand, it's creator, Kickstarted a project known for now as Grandroids, which is his vision of the next generation of that kind of a-life game\sim, in which the creatures learn to physically move their bodies around in a 3D world with their neural activity (rather than having any pre-made animations etc). I pledged around the same for that, a while ago, that I did for DFA. He's got some backer forums online and has been posting updates describing his progress as he creates their brains and so on. I'm certainly excited for it!

I do a Kickstarter mentions of stuff that caught my eye that might not be getting the right nod on Kickstarter itself or other places. Check my website in my sig if interested. Not everything I suggest will be something I've backed... basically cause I'm not a rich man and I'm also waiting on some stuff I've backed and will feel more comfortable once I get that stuff before backing more big projects.

In terms of video games, because of my preferences in games I only found one game that caught my eye.

SPIKE: A Love Story Too

which really needs some support.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063443760/spike-a-love-story-too

This is a one person venture of really innovative concepts in game and fun art. I like Flash Games that are simple and basically reflexes based which are meant to be more a platform for art.

Feeble's Fables is definitely an interesting game, but I do get the feeling it'll move forward without kickstarter's success. The fact that they're trying to cast a voice before the funding is even finished assures me the game happens no matter what... just maybe at a lesser level.

Looking at other video game projects though, nothing is really that exciting other than Wasteland and possibly Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1920171553/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-adventure-mys/

What I think went a long way to helping Double Fine Adventure on top of its history was Tim Scaefer's honesty, modesty, passion and charisma in his pitch video. Same can be said for Wasteland and Sherlock Holmes. I'm betting the same will be said for Chris Jones with Tex Murphy. The indie folks though are fewer between.

If Clickshake Games had done Kickstarter I think they'd had success too:

http://www.clickshakegames.com/

Remember the Creatures series? Steve Grand, it's creator, Kickstarted a project known for now as Grandroids, which is his vision of the next generation of that kind of a-life game\sim, in which the creatures learn to physically move their bodies around in a 3D world with their neural activity (rather than having any pre-made animations etc). I pledged around the same for that, a while ago, that I did for DFA. He's got some backer forums online and has been posting updates describing his progress as he creates their brains and so on. I'm certainly excited for it!

I wasn't as hardcore as I am now about Kickstarter, about when I realized how I can use it... so I missed this project and now of course the website is locked for backers only. How is the project coming along?

Apart from the DF adventure I also backed Pixel Sand (succeeded) and ROBOTA: Vengeance (failed). Currently backing Wasteland 2 minimally ($1) but might increase that to $15 (just because Brian Fargo sounds like a nice guy), and $1 for Guncraft. I also just bought the Collector's Edition of Faerie Solitaire 2. It's not a kickstarter, but they're selling all kind of reward tiers as pre-orders, with beta access, and I spent a lot of time on Faerie Solitaire.

I've been putting a dollar or two into multiple projects as a show of support, but the one I'm most keen on at the moment is a comic called "Carbon Grey"-- achingly beautiful art and a captivating story, plus the creators seem so incredibly invested in it. Another comic, "Circus Saudade", just went up a few hours ago and seems quite promising too.

I haven't found any games other than Wasteland II, The Banner Saga, and FTL: Faster Than Light that I'm particularly moved by yet, but I'm sure there are loads more on the horizon given the success those three + Double Fine have attained.

KickStarter is frighteningly addictive, oi.

during the Double Fine Adventure, I also backed the Backloggery T-Shirt Project.

I also just bought the Collector's Edition of Faerie Solitaire 2. It's not a kickstarter, but they're selling all kind of reward tiers as pre-orders, with beta access, and I spent a lot of time on Faerie Solitaire.

I wasn't aware that Faerie Solitaire 2 was coming out so soon! Thanks for the heads up.

Not a game but related: I supported the 2PP documentary about Mojang. Woo! 2pp!

Wasteland 2, though I can think of a ton of sequels to old games I'd support if they popped up at least until my discretionary funds were exhausted. I think I might support just about any rpg that used the terms "turn based combat".

I'll probably support the Tex Murphy Kickstarter when it goes up on the 15th May. But so far I only pledged for the Doublefine Adventure.

Nah, just this project. I'm not that into Kickstarter.

Since I always wished Tim and Ron would make a new adventure again,

it was simply a must to back the project.

It'll probably be the only kickstarter project I'm backing in the foreseeable future.

Nah, just this project. I'm not that into Kickstarter.

Since I always wished Tim and Ron would make a new adventure again,

it was simply a must to back the project.

It'll probably be the only kickstarter project I'm backing in the foreseeable future.

Exactly!

I backed Wasteland 2, Hardcore Tactical Shooter, and Pixel Sand, but with much smaller amounts than I gave to DFA. I backed because they look like good projects, mostly, but they're not super appealing to my tastes in particular. If that makes sense.

I will be backing the Tex Murphy kickstarter when it goes up for sure, though, at least what I gave Double Fine.

The whole idea behind KS is giving a voice to more niche games that, by nature, aren't going to appeal to everyone. So most of these projects aren't really "for me" but I'm sure many will be at some point.

After I backed DFA I heard the guys that did Guns of Icarus were making a sequel and it looked pretty good. So I gave them a few bones.

Aside from that, Wastleland 2 and Banner Saga I also hit up. I REALLY thought about backing FTL. I played the demo of it on OnLive and thought it was really fun, but I'm just starting to run out of money! I don't make that much as it is. I hope more ex-pro developers go indy and start up kickstarters for their new projects too...but not right now...They need to wait a bit for me to get more money.

Another one for Wasteland 2.

Wasteland 2, though I can think of a ton of sequels to old games I'd support if they popped up at least until my discretionary funds were exhausted. I think I might support just about any rpg that used the terms "turn based combat".

Well, you might see Obsidian (KOTOR, Fallout:New Vegas) to go with the Kickstarter soon. Who knows what project they'll try to kick start.

I wasn't as hardcore as I am now about Kickstarter, about when I realized how I can use it... so I missed this project and now of course the website is locked for backers only. How is the project coming along?
There hasn't been much footage yet beyond some early creature physics tests, but it sounds like work on the brain (which is the majority of the work, really) is coming along. Most of the updates so far have been describing the process of creating the brain and some of the successes and failures, redesigns and so on. It's always interesting to read about and it certainly sounds like he knows what he's doing (the Creatures games are proof of that anyway). Hopefully it won't be long before we have a creature walking around the environment. I only wish the project had attracted more attention when the Kickstarter was active and Steve got some more cash, since it's such an ambitious undertaking. At the time I tried to nudge some gaming websites to pick up the story with comments and e-mails but none of them seemed to notice, despite this easily being (unless there's another awesome project which I would follow with equal interest) the most ambitious and interesting thing happening anywhere relating to game A.I. that I'm aware of.

It makes me think that for a game to be successful on Kickstarter, it crucially relies on the gaming press to pick it up. I was very lucky to even find out about Grandroids, as I was googling A.I. and specifically Steve Grand at the time. It's also how I learned about Kickstarter. DFA and it's publicity has certainly brought the site to the attention of many gamers, so perhaps it'll be easier to get visibility now.

FTL, and the Idle Thumbs kickstarter tier which includes the Gravity Bone sequel

Oh yeah! I forgot about FTL! Thanks for the reminder. Very curious what's going on there. Apparently there was an OnLive demo event, but I missed it. Blast.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/wasteland-2-developer-to-kick-it-forward/

I like this, even given the speculative nature of “future profits.”

Might be a good way to keep Kickstarter a viable financing platform in the future. It’s probably a bit far to pledge 5%, without knowing whether there are any worthy projects, but this seems like a positive feedback loop in general.

I love the idea and I'm really excited about it. I'm curious to see whether DF jumps on board and posts the KIF badge on their kickstarter page. I think since DF were kinda the ones that ignited kickstarter fever, it would be a huge high five to Fargo and his idea.

Since Kickstarter only accepts American projects, I was wondering how many people would accept to back a European project on sites like [del]Ulele.com[/del] Ulule.com...

Ulele.com...

I hadn't heard of it before, but for anyone else curious about it, the correct domain seems to be Ulule.com

And to answer the question, I wouldn't mind backing there if I found an interesting project.

Ulele.com...

I hadn't heard of it before, but for anyone else curious about it, the correct domain seems to be Ulule.com

And to answer the question, I wouldn't mind backing there if I found an interesting project.

Thanks for spotting my mistake! :D

Ulule seems to be one of the main european crowdfunding site, supporting several langages.

But it's nowhere as big or popular as Kickstarter, so maybe some people would hesitate before backing a project.

Which is a sad, since many European adventure games developpers could use this kind of financing.

In Spain is popular http://www.lanzanos.com/

I think that if a European developper wants to find money to develop an adventure game, they will need a site that supports several langages (English, German, French, Spanish and Italian at least probably...).

I'm backing Wasteland right now but I plan to back to back Feeble's Fable, Sherlock Holmes and, when it debuts, Tex Murphy

I also backed Party of Sin

Sign in to follow this