Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Just how private are these things?

Just how private are these things?  

2,648 members have voted

1. 1. Just how private are these things?

• Super private! By logging into the Backer Forums you are signing an NDA! We paid for exclusive access!
    • Free as Butterflies with no clothes on! Let the information spread out across the world, nakedly. (except the videos)

Treat it SUPER privately. (In caps, if you can.)

We backed it and gave you the money up front, so we should be the ones shaping the game. Obviously there will be leaks, but if these forums weren't super private, then they might as well be public. What I mean is, if you allow these forums to be public, then you might as well listen to the rest of the internet as well. And that's not what we paid for. Cause the internet's opinions? Pssh, what do those guys know?

We paid for the privilege to shape a game and we should be the only ones weighing in on it. I mean, we already bought the game. People who didn't buy the game shouldn't have a say in the development. Seems like a simple line, and makes sense to me.

maybe it's selfish of me, but i REALLY don't make much money and genuinely made the decision to sacrifice for this, and thus, i fully agree with the above

Got a bit late on the discussion here, but I seem to agree with most people. No point making these public, but maybe include a forum here about the game that is for nonbackers when there's actually a game(as any other game would)?

I'm good either way, but I'd vote on not wasting any resources on stopping leaks, just bulldoze the game :D

I would say to keep it somewhat private but not completely hush hush. The project already has a lot of interest an it would be silly to keep up some momentum and keep it dark for the next year. I think a few updates throughout the process to the general public is a good thing for the project and doublefine itself.

WE backers ofcourse want to know EVERYTHING. Eerie details... What did you have for lunch today Tim?

j/k But yeah just make us feel like we're part of the process.

WE backers ofcourse want to know EVERYTHING. Eerie details... What did you have for lunch today Tim?

Wait, wait, remove that j/k! I want to know all of DoubleFine's cuisine related events

Wait, wait, remove that j/k! I want to know all of DoubleFine's cuisine related events

Just let us know where to send cupcakes so we can experiment on what makes the best sugar to game designing ratio. Isnt' this all a lab experiment?

I would say to keep it somewhat private but not completely hush hush. The project already has a lot of interest an it would be silly to keep up some momentum and keep it dark for the next year. I think a few updates throughout the process to the general public is a good thing for the project and doublefine itself.

I voted for super private but i agree more with this.

Keep it somewhat private but a few updates public that wont reval anything major to keep interest up.

Personally I think this should be a private forum, and things discussed and shown here be treated as if we are all part of a massive NDA.

Official information should be released by double fine if and when they want it to be, I wouldnt want people going off and sharing something that is being discussed on these forums with the general public as its a product that is in development and sharing of that information is generally a no no. I could come out with a long winded reason as to why, but its super early for me and I have a research project I should really be working on.

In short, no sharing outside of these forum, stuff that is ok to share, DF will do so.

I'm going to echo people and say "private, with information released by double fine as they see fit". Of course, there will be leaks at some point, but with such a large group of backers... that's sadly bound to happen.

It has to be SUPER PRIVATE!!!!!

Let the man hunt begin! Eliminate all leakers! Death to the rats! =)

I think the forums should remain private, but I definitely don't want to be bound by a full-on NDA with respect to DFA. A more limited form NDA, such as agreeing not to share copyrighted material ( such as concept art, the making of videos already covered by Tim, etc. ) makes more sense than the blanket draconian "share-any-information-and-we-take-your-firstborn" NDA you would normally have with an in-development project. Forbidding publicly talking about the game prior to its release doesn't seem in the spirit of the project, or particularly enforceable.

I think the forums should remain private, but I definitely don't want to be bound by a full-on NDA with respect to DFA. A more limited form NDA, such as agreeing not to share copyrighted material ( such as concept art, the making of videos already covered by Tim, etc. ) makes more sense than the blanket draconian "share-any-information-and-we-take-your-firstborn" NDA you would normally have with an in-development project. Forbidding publicly talking about the game prior to its release doesn't seem in the spirit of the project, or particularly enforceable.

but the "take-your-first-born" NDA is the best kind! lol =D

yes a limited NDA works just as well .. but i frankly would not like ANY info leaked to the public if it is not sanctioned by DFA ...

we should just enjoy the forums and taunt/tease our friends who didnt back the project (or get them to suck up to us for a chance to peak at the forums! lol); and leave all the info/news releases up to DFA

Way late on the draw here but...i'm kinda for not leaking info, but at the same time, it isn't worth being uptight about any info that DOES happen to get out, which will probably inevitably happen. I mean, there's a TON of backers, and information leaks for stuff all the time.

I think double fine should take on the tactic of counter information and misdirection. If someone starts to leak out details of what's in the game why not start leaking agreed upon lies? Surely if we organize and start leaking the completely untrue details all of the actual details would be lost in the noise no? I mean who would know really? It would just be a he said she said situation unless they could view the forums for themselves.

I think it should be private as possible. Only the backers can see it, and whoever's standing behind you :P

You asked us not to leak information. That is not going to happen.

That's the truth. Everything you post will leak in a matter of minutes. Its just the way the Internet works. I don't feel bad about it, because no matter the access to a private video, or a private forum, or a private whatever i still paid my money and i feel great about it. Its almost as good as having played the game already.

So my position is: i don't really care. I am here supporting this project no matter what. If some other people decided to play the same EPIC VISCERAL GAMES(or should i say game) they have been playing for the last 9 years its their problem.

You just need to take your time and make a great game. Don't worry about anything else because in the end it really doesn't matter.

I chose SUPER PRIVATE mostly because it would be more fun! You know, like those "secret clubs" you had with your friends in 4th grade. :cheese:

I really don't care either way. Sure it's nice to feel like part of some exclusive club, but with almost 90,000 backers, it's not exactly "exclusive" is it?

No matter what the policy winds up being, only backers will get access to the good stuff (the documentary, the game and the other rewards posted on kickstarter.)

I also voted for PRIVATE. But I want to make clear that the only things that I believe should be backer-exclusive, were mentioned on the Kickstarter vids: like when the devs want to hear an opinion [yea, wait for that one] - it should be the backers opinion (polls and such).

as for information, I say let DF choose what they want to share with everyone.

I voted for SUPER PRIVATE, but I'm ready to share the cake. I would suggest that certain milestones could be reported on the newspage for everyone to see. We get it to see exclusively first, but the rest of the world will get updated ocassionally.

This will reduce the leaking to some extent (ppl are going to anyway), because the information will be free and we the backers won't be let down.

Like the movies. You could wait for it to be released on free tv / cable what-so-ever, but you could pay upfront to watch the newest hollywood explosions with some benefits (bigger screen, no ads (for us it's the documentary)).

I would be totally in for that.

+1

I want mine advertisement free and to the point where I know this is the information provided to me with the outmost care since then I will handle it in a similar matter.

if the forums and information becomes "somewhat private" or "open to public" all information regarding this game will spread like a wildflower and when its released all will already know everything.

So keep em super private.

I voted to let the information be naked and free. I didn't donate to be a part of some super cool club, I donated cause I thought the game would be cool.

Could see how people want it private though, so if it stays this way no biggie.

I don't think it'll be possible to keep everything super tight lipped, but on the other hand, I don't think super loosy-goosy would be beneficial either. I think a restriction on copy pasting text/pictures wholesale should be in place, but people should be allowed to talk about the game.

ie: Tim posts a big long post about how the game will contain magical unicorns. In his post he goes on to talk about the exact hue of the unicorn's hair, how this will be important to the game, how the team arrived to it and then some concept art. It would be prohibited to copy-paste Tim's post and post it elsewhere on the forums, or on a gaming blog, or on gamespot, but people can say "Hey, there's going to be unicorns in the game!"

It's a simple and easily understood restriction that should be relatively easy to enforce.

I think there's an unexplored middle ground here.

I admit both sides have their point, and I do enjoy feeling a part of a super secret club and all, but the information will leak one way or another. I know for a fact that professional video game journalists who have backed this project and will be eager to spread the word (being a journalism major, I can attest to this).

So why don't we do an "information delay," meaning once an update comes out there's a month or so of a exclusivity before it's released to the public. That way everyone can have their Hoagie and eat it too.

...or not. Feel free to disagree, it's what the internet does best. :)

A little late to the discussion but here is my 2 cents;

the information is going to get leaked, there is just no stopping it. Our options are to go with the flow or get mad trying. I rather people see and hear about the game than get told "LOL SECRET CLUB" and have them download all the information from a torrent anyway. Let people share with the friends, maybe have the official policy be "do not share information" but dont police anyone, altho im sure a lot of loud people will police it for double fine and just give the project a terrible image.

to summarize: let it flow, but dont encourage it, just as is inevitable some people will pirate the game and pirate the videos, its better to win their hearts than to try to destroy them (which is useless)

I think this ... if they really cared about the adventure

would have contributed at least 0.5 dollars to the cause

I'm in the "default to secret but don't spend much time policing" crowd. It might be worth asking major gaming news sites to only publish officially-released info as stories until the game's release, but I don't think it's worth the effort to do the policing yourselves to any extent other than those videos.

I don't really mind, but I'd only want major updates to be shared (like things game developers normally share with the world during production) and everything else super-private like the documentary and update videos. Mostly because that was the biggest reason I paid now instead of when this game comes out.

Wow, Super Private is totally winning. I'm kind of surprised, but I'm happy because I think it means people enjoy being here in this cozy hot tub together and they want it to mean something. Or that it already means something to be here, and they want it to stay that way. I agree that it will be impossible to totally police the secrecy 100%. But as far as the official policy goes, we can close the gates to the Chocolate Factory and just eat all this candy ourselves. And if anyone re-posts videos, we'll send the Oompa Loompas after them.

Is it bad to mix hot tubs and candy?

No pictures, please. :)

Sign in to follow this