Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Just how private are these things?

Just how private are these things?  

2,648 members have voted

1. 1. Just how private are these things?

• Super private! By logging into the Backer Forums you are signing an NDA! We paid for exclusive access!
    • Free as Butterflies with no clothes on! Let the information spread out across the world, nakedly. (except the videos)

SUPER PRIVATE ! ... Like magicians ... they don't tell you how they make there tricks. Well just that guy that wore all black and black mask ... and spoiled every other magic show ... remember? Yeah .... I hate myself for not changing the channel.

I don't want it to be as if I signed an NDA. But I feel like keeping the details, anything from setting to plot secret would be nice. I guess I'm saying I want the freedom to say small things, but not to say anything big. I don't think I would anyway, unless there's some narrative revolution or amazing gameplay mechanic. And even then I would only really hint at it at most elsewhere. I have you guys to chat about that stuff.

Enforcing should primarily be to hunt down journalists who publicly post unapproved material.

That is the main problem, people trying to capitalise on this.

It could really hurt the brainstorming, and perhaps even sales, if some reporter took a random idea from the suggestion box and suddenly reported, under false pretense, that the game will have social features and FB integration.

Does this mean I can walk around in my underwear?

That'd be way too constricting.

SUPER PRIVATE

Info will leak out anyway, but it's fun to have our secret club here, isn't it?

While I don't think it's a matter of national security or anything - I think that the more private these forums are - the more you can share about what you're doing... so in that respect, I vote for private!

Definitely SUPER PRIVATE but where are the remaining 88,026 backers missing from the poll?

it shows that only 2,000+ backers are actively participating ...

imagine what would happen to the forums if half the backers actively participated!!! system overloadddddddddddddddddd :)

My fear is if preliminary discussions are leaked and reported on, public perceptions could be impacted, and potentially sales also impacted. We, the backers (and Double Fine, of course!), are the chefs. Everyone else is just here to eat what we make. Stay out of our kitchen, and we'll serve you a nice warm delicious adventure game with a side of documentary. You don't need to see us slaughter the cows or butcher the meat.

I am hungry for that dish now!

I see no reason why people who didn't back the game shouldn't be allowed to know what the game is about and what it's shaping up to be. I mean I know several members of the forums who weren't in a position to back the project who will be interested in buying the finished product when it's done. In that case I think the game should be treated like any other, with information about what kind of game it's gonna be and basic details about it's story and setting should be allowed to be shared with non-backers for the purposes of drumming up buzz for it's release.

That said, I think it should be kept vague. And I agree that nobody outside this forum should have a way in the game's development.

I agree with this post.

Sharing is one of the best ways of living anyone can dream of. Having that said, it was posted, before backing the game, that the following through the development would be backers only. So it could/may be a total betrial for the costumer/backer if this isn't a secret/private one. And DF could be accused somehow for not offering what's been promissed, like politiciand use to do.

I personally feel that if it starts leaking real info, it would lower my motivation to follow the process and just forget it all and wait for the BOX... hohoho the BOX :cheese:

Definitely keep them private. Anyone who is interested in development should have given money. Even one dollar could've given them access! I say, if they're too cheap to give even the minimum amount, they don't DESERVE getting any info about the game before release!

The way I see it we're paying Tim and company to dance for us, or at least pretend. That's the exclusive bit that matters. It would be a waste to try and keep everything hidden, not to mention difficult. It remains though that this was advertized as private so DF should not go back on that.

So private, yes, but not to the point of trying to plug leaks. Besides, if the game lives up to our expectations leaks should hype the game, resulting in more sales, more adventure games in the future, and eventually world peace.

Oh no, don't ruin my super secret club, Schaffer!

Seriously? I don't mind as long as only we can post.

I think it should be treated like any other game. Let the devs put out what they want about the game to stir up interest, and the Backers leave what they see in the private forums where they found it.

I think it should be treated like any other game. Let the devs put out what they want about the game to stir up interest, and the Backers leave what they see in the private forums where they found it.

this

You can't control leaks, but you can feed the beast. Put out some misinformation from time to time. Let backers know they're special and make it an inside joke that backers can participate in. Nothing that people will yearn for and be disappointed if it doesn't appear, but things stuff that makes it difficult to determine truth from fiction. Like the game will only have 256 colors or will feature an ode to Jar Jar Binks and Harry Potter (or some sort of annoying magic Harry Binks).

I prefer Jar Jar Potter, or Harry Binks...

I'm going for super private. And, I hope that some of the behind-the-scenes stuff shows how you guys go about making games. I am curious how it's done.

I'm a reasonable person, who likes reasonable solutions at threat people reasonably. I think it takes a lot of time on behalf of Double Fine to police stuff a lot (though I am all for creating more jobs), and the end result would be that there are still 90,000 lips and 900,000 fingers out there that have more points of activity available to them that couldn't be controlled with the kind of funding a single FTE could provide.

If a reasonable effort is made to maintain the integrity of the forums I think that will provide the best happy medium that we can expect.

I'm all for some level of privacy. But information should definitely be released when certain milestones are reached. It's great that so many of us backed this project, but I want to see even more massive numbers play the game! Gotta get the publicity out there.

Should have donated if you wanted to be in the know.

No policing required (waste of resources) but if they are to get any information, the only way they should is through the grapevine of their own making.

I'm going with super private, only because it doesn't make sense to me to give away the best parts of the game.

The forum should remain as backers only, but stuff will inevitably be leaked and its a waste of time to try an enforce the privacy aspect. Maybe get DFA videos taken off you tube, but other than that it'll be quite difficult.

Hmmm, I'm sorry, but philosophically, I'm always for information being free and open, no matter the circumstance, as long as it's not personal information. I vote for freedom.

Sign in to follow this