Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Best Point and Click Adventure Games from the past 10 years

What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?  

2,828 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?

• 7 Days a Skeptic
    • 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    • A New Beginning
    • A Vampyre Story
    • Ankh
    • Another Code: Two Memories
    • Back to the Future
    • Ben There, Dan That
    • Black Mirror 2
    • Blackwell
    • Ceville
    • Deponia
    • Drawn: The Painted Tower
    • Dreamfall
    • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
    • Full Pipe
    • Genini Rue
    • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    • Gretel and Hansel
    • Grey Matter
    • Hector: Badge of Carnage
    • Hotel Dusk
    • Jack Keane
    • Kaptain Brawe
    • Lost Horizon
    • Lume
    • Machinarium
    • Metal Dead
    • Myst IV
    • Myst V: End of Ages
    • Out of Order
    • Overclocked
    • Puzzle Agent
    • Puzzle Bots
    • Runaway: A Road Trip Adventure
    • Sam & Max Season 1
    • Sam & Max Season 2
    • Samarost
    • Samarost 2
    • Scarlett and the Spark of LIfe
    • Scratches
    • Secret Files
    • Secret Files 2
    • Simon: Chaos Happens
    • Still Life
    • Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    • Syberia
    • Syberia 2
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Book of Living Magic
    • The Book of Unwritten Tales
    • The Dream Machine
    • The Longest Journey
    • The Lost Crown
    • The Whispered World
    • Time Gentlemen, Please!
    • Trilby’s Notes
    • Undercover: Operation Wintersun
    • Wallace and Gromit
    • Zack & Wiki

A few weeks back, Tim posted in the public forums asking folks to name their favorite Point and Click Adventure Games from the past 10 years. This list is a product of that. Please vote on your favorite and let's see what rises to the top!

I wish we went back further than 10 years, because most of my favorite adventure games were created in the late 80s and early 90s. I have a soft spot in my heart for bad puns and modern adventure games seem to lack what Space Quest and Monkey Island had.

I actually own half of these... but haven't played a single one. My ability to support adventure games by giving them money is more than the time I have to play them. :(

I voted for Trilby's Notes since I didn't notice The Longest Journey was on there (more than ten years!) Both are two of my absolute favorites though. Trilby's Notes was surprisingly scary!

Ahh, so many good ones! But I have to say, Hotel Dusk has captured my heart with all of the characters and the storyline. I was actually surprised how much I ended up liking Helen Parker, that old lady. :o

Ghost trick for me, though that was closer to a puzzle game then what I generally view as a point & click. it's the best game on the list though, no doubt.

999 & Hotel dusk are also excellent, though they're more visual novels.

Best pure point & click was probably Tales of Monkey island episode 3. Episodes 1 & 2 were horrendous though. 4 & 5 were fairly good, but didn't hit the puzzle & dialogue heights of 3.

None of these games stand out compared to the Lucas/Sierra games, mainly because they're over reliant on trying to incorporate modern day console games as their framework. Just because it feels good to play Red Dead Redemption in a 3D world, doesn't mean it'll make a good point and click game.

When I played the Telltale games, something was missing, and that was the charm of the unique art style found in something like DOTT or the first Sam and Max.

Scanning the environment has to be fun and colourful, not too realistic. The Back to the Future point and click game tried to look like the film, while some might say that's a good thing, for an adventure game, it should have had its own identity and a more artistic background. Make the player WANT to look at things, not out of necessity.

If you look at Full Throttle, yes it looks realistic, but at the same time, has a cartoon sensibility, it's like a heightened dimension, making you curious about the world.

Also with adventure games from the last ten years, the puzzles have been more frustrating than rewarding. The most odd combinations and reliance on the audience knowing the environment inside out, and random red herrings impede enjoyment.

This is my two cents, and why I'm hoping that "Bagel"'s work can be shown off in this coming game.

I honestly believe that point and click adventures are the closest gaming has come to true artistic expression, I know that sounds corny, but they're the only types of games that allow you to interact with EVERYTHING. The potential was and is huge, they're not confided to where the character can actually move in a "realistic" sim.

Difficult to choose, i haven't played them all of course.

I liked Back To The Future adventure game (not the graphics but the storyline).

And Dreamfall The Longest Journey is imho 1 of the better ones, graphics and the whole ambience of the game.

I agree with Aloisius! I wish the options went back farther than 10 years... Still, there are a lot of fun options to choose from in the list given.

Was about to complain that Discworld Noir wasn't on the list, then realised it's 13 years old - eep!

Voted for Hotel Dusk because I found it wonderfully evocative, but much love to Longest Journey, Time Gentlemen Please, Puzzle Agent and Sam & Max Season 2.

Reading that list makes me realize how badly we need this game. There's not a single game on there that really jumps out at me as true classic.

Oh, and it should be "Runaway: A Road Adventure" not "A Road Trip Adventure"

The Whispered World got my vote. I'm madly in love with this game. Beautifully drawn, great riddles, amazing story and end, but sadly it's underrated i guess.

BTW: What do people actually see in The Longest Journey? I played it and it's probably one of my least favorite adventures.

At the top it would have to be The Longest Journey! And even if Dreamfall was broken in many ways it still had a great story for what it was. Other then them I would put Machinarium, Ghost Trick, Hotel Dusk and the Tales of Monkey Island series high up. But TLJ takes the vote for me.

There were lots of great Adventure Games in the past ten years, sadly, I missed most of them. My favourite sadly is not on this list, which is Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse. I voted for Puzzle Agent as I thought it was a very enjoyable short game, although it was way to easy. I missed out on a lot of the great games which I should now go back and play in the mean time!

The Whispered World got my vote. I'm madly in love with this game. Beautifully drawn, great riddles, amazing story and end, but sadly it's underrated i guess.

I think it is wildly overrated, but to each their own.

I put my vote in for The Book of Unwritten Tales. It wasn't perfect, but it was the most actual fun I had with a P&C adventure made in the last 10 years. Hotel Dusk would probably by #2, followed by Tales of Monkey Island.

That is really difficult to make a single choice.

I'd say for graphics one of my favorites is still The Whispered World, completely 2D, very nice maybe the animation are just a bit slow, but very well done by Daedelic.

For story I would go with the Cing games Another Code / Hotel Dusk / Last Window too bad they closed because I really enjoy their nicely told stories, of course it was maybe lacking a bit of challenge and very talkative, though there was no voice overs, but for Hotel Dusk to go through the game and discoiver all the relations between the characters was really well done to me.

They are also a few games that are very interesting but not listed here.

In Memoriam (Missing in the US) has really made something outside of the ordinary and it's french, you had to play with internet making search to progress through an encrypted disk sent to the police by a serial killer, with codes to break and things like that, and you got emails which they were real people behind, so you could write back and get real answers. And they went farther with the sequel to use SMS so you would receive actual SMS from the killer during the game.

Another game from that same company which is french by the way, is eXperience 112, there it's the interaction way that was quite different, in this one you would play with the main character but you would interact with the environment, looking through security cam and systems, opening doors, accessing mails, basically you never interact directly with the main character, and that made it a very interesting way of playing.

None of these games stand out compared to the Lucas/Sierra games, mainly because they're over reliant on trying to incorporate modern day console games as their framework. Just because it feels good to play Red Dead Redemption in a 3D world, doesn't mean it'll make a good point and click game.

You're right about 2D vs. 3D and about the style and humour of those old games - but you obviously haven't tried the German Adventure-output of recent years. The Book of Unwritten Tales (and its successor) had great humour, great puzzles and really good production values (graphics, sound etc.) and the output of Daedalic was simply stunning over the last years, winning numerous awards and delivering the whole line-up from funny (Edna & Harvey or Deponia) over more serious (A New Beginning) up to funny and very emotional (The Whispeed World, my voted for favourite :-) ).

Most of those games got a pretty good English localization by now, so you should definitely try them out - it's as close to the good old times as you'll get nowadays and in my humble opinion way better than most of the Telltale-stuff.

Phew! I'm glad I'm not the only one who voted for Puzzle Agent. I didn't wanna be "that" guy.

Honestly I haven't played anywhere near enough of these games, most likely under 1/4th of them. I guess I have my new list of games to play before the DFA hits :)

Oh hell, I don't think I can pick. A lot of the recent adventure games I personally hold dear I also recognize as flawed (sometimes greatly so). I also probably have not played at least 80% of that list.

Edit: Ended up going with ToMI. It's certainly not perfect, but I personally had a lot of fun with it.

I'm not sure I've played enough of these. I really really liked Sam & Max Season 1, so I voted for that because of it's odd musical numbers that were awesome. That said I do hope this game more resembles some of the older point and clicks.

I can't say which of these is the best, but I can say for sure that Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People has the best title hands down.

I choose The Longest Journey just because I have so many found memories of the game, but they should have let us choose three games; there are way to many great games on there! I absolutely loved 999 even if it wasn't what some would classify as a pure adventure game and I don't know if I would put Ghost Trick on the list at all, though it's an amazing game, it's more of a puzzle game. It would be like putting Professor Layton on the list.

The Blackwell Trilogy (well I think there's four of them now) and Gemini Rue are also fantastic modern adventure games. I'm already wondering if I should have picked a different game...Machinarium was also really good, but I mainly enjoyed it for the visuals less so than the actually puzzles and story.

There are plenty of near-seconds but it's all about TLJ for me. There was some serious garage-heart put into that one. Shame the sequel was stale and cold. =(

It's ridiculous how few votes Sword & Sworcery EP has gotten so far, so it's definitely getting mine.

Other absolute favorites:

Ghost Trick

Zack & Wiki

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

Machinarium

Samorost 2

It’s ridiculous how few votes Sword & Sworcery EP has gotten so far, so it’s definitely getting mine.

No Android version :(.

Anyway, The Longest Journey for me. It had a lot of good content. The sequel was fun but a bit to stretched out.

I know it's twelve and a half years old but if it's on the list I'm going to vote for it!

If TLJ wouldn't be available I'd choose Syberia.

You're right about 2D vs. 3D and about the style and humour of those old games - but you obviously haven't tried the German Adventure-output of recent years. The Book of Unwritten Tales (and its successor) had great humour, great puzzles and really good production values (graphics, sound etc.) and the output of Daedalic was simply stunning over the last years, winning numerous awards and delivering the whole line-up from funny (Edna & Harvey or Deponia) over more serious (A New Beginning) up to funny and very emotional (The Whispeed World, my voted for favourite :-) ).

Most of those games got a pretty good English localization by now, so you should definitely try them out - it's as close to the good old times as you'll get nowadays and in my humble opinion way better than most of the Telltale-stuff.

I am actually ashamed to say that I have not heard of these games.

It's bizarre but I lived in Germany for almost a year and all I saw out there was a deluge of Nintendo Gamecube games and flight sims.

I will definitely check those games out, thank you senior.

ps. I tell a lie, there was one German game I played which was a sequel to a British game named - Simon the Sorcerer 4. The less said the better as the British hero all of a sudden had an American accent....

Sign in to follow this