Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Best Point and Click Adventure Games from the past 10 years

What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?  

2,828 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?

• 7 Days a Skeptic
    • 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    • A New Beginning
    • A Vampyre Story
    • Ankh
    • Another Code: Two Memories
    • Back to the Future
    • Ben There, Dan That
    • Black Mirror 2
    • Blackwell
    • Ceville
    • Deponia
    • Drawn: The Painted Tower
    • Dreamfall
    • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
    • Full Pipe
    • Genini Rue
    • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    • Gretel and Hansel
    • Grey Matter
    • Hector: Badge of Carnage
    • Hotel Dusk
    • Jack Keane
    • Kaptain Brawe
    • Lost Horizon
    • Lume
    • Machinarium
    • Metal Dead
    • Myst IV
    • Myst V: End of Ages
    • Out of Order
    • Overclocked
    • Puzzle Agent
    • Puzzle Bots
    • Runaway: A Road Trip Adventure
    • Sam & Max Season 1
    • Sam & Max Season 2
    • Samarost
    • Samarost 2
    • Scarlett and the Spark of LIfe
    • Scratches
    • Secret Files
    • Secret Files 2
    • Simon: Chaos Happens
    • Still Life
    • Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    • Syberia
    • Syberia 2
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Book of Living Magic
    • The Book of Unwritten Tales
    • The Dream Machine
    • The Longest Journey
    • The Lost Crown
    • The Whispered World
    • Time Gentlemen, Please!
    • Trilby’s Notes
    • Undercover: Operation Wintersun
    • Wallace and Gromit
    • Zack & Wiki

Samarost/Machinarium are rather wonderful and I do really like quite a few of these games, but I don't love any of them like I adore Grim or DOTT. Simon The Sorcerer, Westwood's Blade Runner and The Longest Journey, I also love but they're all over 13 years old. Weirdness, wonder, story or funny, hopefully all :)

It's not on the list. :P

The Moment of Silence. I love the sci-fi setting, and I remember playing through it in two days without sleeping ... seems like you never get that length nowadays anymore. It's definitely my favourite. So I dunno, keeping with the theme, Gemini Rue was nice as well, I guess -- of course, you spelled it Genini Rue ...

;)

The Longest Journey series is totally mindblowing, too sad that Funcom never ended it the way it should. 999 was also captivating and inspiring and made my nerves go nuts!

The Longest Journey series is totally mindblowing, too sad that Funcom never ended it the way it should. 999 was also captivating and inspiring and made my nerves go nuts!

Don't say it has ended yet. :<

I want to believe!

Black Mirror 1 <-- Awesome german cast!

Since it isnt an option i vote for ToMI ... or Grey Matter..cant decide.... damn :/

No love for The Neverhood?

I loved The Neverhood, but it came out in 1996. It's too old for this poll.

Since it isnt an option i vote for ToMI ... or Grey Matter..cant decide.... damn :/

I'd love to play the Black Mirror series (I even have them in German since I'm studying the language.) But I had a difficult time installing the first one. :/ Someday!

Gray Matter is also a great game though. It gets so little attention!

It pains me a lot - there are too much good and great adventures on this list, many of them dignified to be the best. But nevertheless I had to select The Longest Journey because it's just an epic and beautiful adventure which will live on in my memory.

Maybe Runaway should be named as well as the resurrection of adventure games.

I had to go with Blackwell and that vote is mostly for Dave Gilbert and WadgetEye Games.

If there was a way to add things like (Other), the following would get my votes:

Clickshake Games (The Visitor, A Small Favor and definitely Ballads of Remus)

Chris Jones for the entire AGS Engine and everything on Big Blue Cup or created with AGS which would include Blackwell, Time Gentleman, Ben There, etc.

I'd love to play the Black Mirror series (I even have them in German since I'm studying the language.) But I had a difficult time installing the first one. :/ Someday!

The Black Mirror games get a bit better with each entry in the series. TBH I would just skip the first one. The 2nd one is a bit soporific at times, but has a nice atmosphere, until a goofy ending. The 3rd entry is much better, with some clever puzzles and good characters.

No love for The Neverhood?

I loved The Neverhood, but it came out in 1996. It's too old for this poll.

Oh right, last ten years. Game still holds up beautifully though.

The Black Mirror games get a bit better with each entry in the series. TBH I would just skip the first one. The 2nd one is a bit soporific at times, but has a nice atmosphere, until a goofy ending. The 3rd entry is much better, with some clever puzzles and good characters.

I thought about skipping it or just Youtubing the first game, but I think I'd prefer to play through it myself. Well, I only have a Mac at the moment so it's a moot point, but eventually I'll get around to it.

Best Point and click adventure games from the past 10 years: Longest yourney!

Best Point and click adventure games from the past 20 years: The day of the tentacle!!

I love The Dream Machine, surprised and happy to see it on the list even though I was the only one who voted for it. It's a beautiful game with a perfect atmosphere and humor, a creepy/interesting story and fantastic puzzles. It's also unique in that it's a game made out of clay (well, not unique, but claymation games are fairly rare, the Neverhood series is the only other one that comes to mind).

Of course there are a lot of other great games on the list, but this particular game really stood out to me, I love it even though it isn't even finished yet.1_TheDreamMachine2.jpg

I have to join the chorus of people wishing for older than 10 years. The ones I remember most are Full Throttle and The Dig, both amazing games. Also, an honorable mention for Oo-Topos (not a point-and-click game, but an adventure game I enjoyed).

This is actually a great topic. My favourite adventure games are pretty much all from more than 10 years ago, but this is a great reflection on the modern state of the genre, as well as a way to introduce me to newer adventure games. I'm ashamed to admit that I barely play modern adventure games, although the praise for The Longest Journey makes me want to play it and The Dream Machine looks great. I voted Ghost Trick, simply because it's a fantastically inventive take on the genre and was a really great reminder that adventure gaming is alive and kicking and arguably more widespread than ever too.

I still wish I could vote Grim Fandango though, that game could never be praised enough in my opinion.

I have to join the chorus of people wishing for older than 10 years. The ones I remember most are Full Throttle and The Dig, both amazing games. Also, an honorable mention for Oo-Topos (not a point-and-click game, but an adventure game I enjoyed).

I actually think it's great topic since it brings more exposure to lesser known games. There are a lot of adventure game fans who haven't played many in the past ten years. I was in the same boat until I couple of years ago.

Interesting thread indeed! I'm a 90s type, probably always will be, so it's challenging to try and explore the many, many unrecognisable titles.

I'd have to go for the original Samorost, for me it defined Amanita's style, although I enjoyed Samorost 2 and Machinarium.

I think the only other one there that I own is the Hector: Badge Of Carnage series, which irks me a little. The game's fine, but I don't understand games that insist on displaying every major regional British accent in one location. It was bad enough in Beneath A Steel Sky, but it's supposed to be based in the Midlands. A menagerie of accents like that could only be conceived by a game developer, or a tick-boxer at the BBC.

Honourable mention: Nick Bounty in A Case Of The Crabs, 2004. Didn't make the list, but the one I would have voted for if it did.

I voted for Ghost Trick, even though to call it a Point and Click Adventure is probably stretching the definition a bit. Great story, with plenty of twists, interesting gameplay mechanics, a really good soundtrack, fantastic animation, and the best characters.

That wasn't too hard. Syberia is one of the best games I've ever played. It is probably somewhere in my top 5. Just like Grim Fandango, Syberia really gave you a sense of adventure, starting in this quaint little French village and from there by train to other quite imaginative places in a world dripping with atmosphere.

Although "adventure games are not dead!", the last decade didn't actually produce a lot of great adventures. I haven't played all of the games on the list, but of the ones I have played, there are few that I would actually play again.

I think Telltale's catalogue is fairly mediocre: too much interactive (and most of the time not very interesting) story, too little game. Machinarium was great, but in all honesty just a flash game with very nice art and music. I also enjoyed Scratches. The fact that it scared me quite a few times is a good indicator of how this simple point-and-click-adventure successfully immersed me in its world. Unfortunately, I remember the puzzles involving a lot of pixel hunting....

I haven't played enough of these to vote, but nothing sticks out either. Also, Back To The Future is not an adventure game I don't care what anybody says. I may have to go with The Longest Journey or Myst IV or something. That's all I can see here.

Hotel Dusk, hands down(now i gotta import the damn sequel from Europe)... also never knew Zack & Wiki was a adventure game... time dust off my wii

I hope this poll isn't taken as definitive because while one game on this list may get more votes than another, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a great game in comparison to The Golden Era. What I mean is, I hope we're not looking at just the last decade of adventure as a model for DF to make their adventure aspire to.

Also, where's Puzzle Agent 2?

I hope this poll isn't taken as definitive because while one game on this list may get more votes than another, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a great game in comparison to The Golden Era. What I mean is, I hope we're not looking at just the last decade of adventure as a model for DF to make their adventure aspire to.

My understanding was that this was going to be "old school". I may have misread or misheard something, or am reading what I want to read, but that was the impression I got. How old is old? I have no idea.

I'm just wondering what the point of this poll is? As far as I'm concerned, the last 10 years have been horrible for adventure games and we shouldn't even be considering it. Is it just for fun? Is it to see how far adventures have fallen?

I'm just wondering what the point of this poll is? As far as I'm concerned, the last 10 years have been horrible for adventure games and we shouldn't even be considering it. Is it just for fun? Is it to see how far adventures have fallen?

I think part of the point is that it is more challenging to name great adventure games from the last decade. If they were just asking people what the best adventure games of all time were, or even of the last 20 years, we'd see the same 3 or 4 games posted over and over again.

It's also a nice way to start up some discussion on the current state of the genre and introduce some people to more recent games that they might not have heard of before.

Sign in to follow this