Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Best Point and Click Adventure Games from the past 10 years

What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?  

2,828 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?

• 7 Days a Skeptic
    • 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    • A New Beginning
    • A Vampyre Story
    • Ankh
    • Another Code: Two Memories
    • Back to the Future
    • Ben There, Dan That
    • Black Mirror 2
    • Blackwell
    • Ceville
    • Deponia
    • Drawn: The Painted Tower
    • Dreamfall
    • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
    • Full Pipe
    • Genini Rue
    • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    • Gretel and Hansel
    • Grey Matter
    • Hector: Badge of Carnage
    • Hotel Dusk
    • Jack Keane
    • Kaptain Brawe
    • Lost Horizon
    • Lume
    • Machinarium
    • Metal Dead
    • Myst IV
    • Myst V: End of Ages
    • Out of Order
    • Overclocked
    • Puzzle Agent
    • Puzzle Bots
    • Runaway: A Road Trip Adventure
    • Sam & Max Season 1
    • Sam & Max Season 2
    • Samarost
    • Samarost 2
    • Scarlett and the Spark of LIfe
    • Scratches
    • Secret Files
    • Secret Files 2
    • Simon: Chaos Happens
    • Still Life
    • Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    • Syberia
    • Syberia 2
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Book of Living Magic
    • The Book of Unwritten Tales
    • The Dream Machine
    • The Longest Journey
    • The Lost Crown
    • The Whispered World
    • Time Gentlemen, Please!
    • Trilby’s Notes
    • Undercover: Operation Wintersun
    • Wallace and Gromit
    • Zack & Wiki

I actually really loved Hector. It really reminded me of a more "mature" version of the old 2D adventure games I knew and loved

I vote axel & pixel

I know its not there, i dont know why. but i loved that game.

I liked the dream machine, but its not finished yet.

Thus feeling so damn short.

Actually, now I just googled it - I meant The Gene Machine, not Dream Machine. I did think it was older than 10 years....

Here is one that didn't make it on that list for people who are using this to try out adventure games they missed:

So Blonde (Steve Ince, develpoer of this, has a long list of adventure games he had a hand in, including for Revolution Software - Makers of Broken Sword series)

NiBiRu - Age of Secrets is missing? What has this world just turned into...

The Black Mirror, Sam and Max and Syberia series are also some decent and awesome Point and Click titles.

Those are definitely worth a try.

Has anyone played The Journey Down? How is it?

(Yes, I know only Chapter 1 has been released)

We're looking at playing Chapter 1 as a part of the Game Club after we do Monkey Island if you're interested ^_^

Has anyone played The Journey Down? How is it?

(Yes, I know only Chapter 1 has been released)

I've played it, and I liked it. I don't think it broke any new ground but what it did, it did pretty well. I liked the graphics and the music, and there were enough hints about a bigger back story to keep me interested. I'm hoping that subsequent chapters will deliver on that.

If you're running Windows, you should be able to play the older, low-resolution freeware version of it, available from the SkyGoblin web site, to see what it's about. The commercial version has a couple of extra puzzles and locations, but the story is pretty much the same.

Yeah, I had to go with Runaway... It's the last adventure game I really remember enjoying.

Honestly, I didn't recognize a lot of them on that list. I kind of stopped buying adventure games out of the store after getting a LOT of cheap/bad ones...

The ones I remember favorably are: Art of Murder, TLJ, and Syberia. (What's with all the girl protagonists! hehehhe) I first heard about Machinarium on this forum a couple of months ago - and I think that's going to be my next purchase!

Yeah, I had to go with Runaway... It's the last adventure game I really remember enjoying.

If you enjoyed Runaway 1 then you´re a lucky guy, because it´s actually pretty horrible compared to all the other newly released games in the genre mentioned here. You´re in for a treat! :)

I'd also say that Runaway series is my favorite series from this last ten years, especially Runaway 3 (but I still have very fond memories of the first two episodes).

Tell me how many games on that list combines high production values, traditional hand-drawn 2D graphics, classic gameplay and great humor?

And with 55 votes, Runaway ends at the 7th spot on this list. Not that bad...

For me it is one I played just the other day "To the Moon" Not a major graphical achievement, or even a very long game (4-5 hours is what I'd estimate.) BUT it had the most emotionally engaging story I've ever experienced in a game, it literally brought me to tears at several points, and is a game I'd highly recommend. Also an outstanding musical score.

'The Longest Journey' my favorite adventure game from the past 12 years! I think it can't be compared with others.

I got Puzzle Agent 1/2 on Steam a while back, really enjoyed the humour, references to 2001 a space oddesy, killer gnomes etc.

haven't played many other point and clicks in the last 10 years though.

I chose Lost Horizon. I REALLY recommend this game. I first played the demo mainly attracted by the graphics and the cover and then switched to the full game. It felt like taking part in a movie with its great story and dialogues. At some point I event had the same feeling as when I played the Indiana Jones adventures.

The trailer: Gl0FR7rGyZc

My vote goes to Gray Matter - by no means perfect from a technical point of view, but IMHO beyond perfect as an experience. Some really great choices on that list - who said adventure games were dead anyway?! :D

I just played the demo for Gemini Rue (here - http://wadjeteyegames.com/gemini-rue.html), and I have to say I am really, really taken with the noir mood, style, and inventory interface. The voice acting is good too, which always adds to a game. I think I'm going to plan for this one when the next paycheck comes in. :)

Also, after all the time it took to get OpenGL running properly in Ubuntu, I feel I deserve it, hah.

Aloisius: I think they did the last 10 years because most of these titles are pretty obscure, along with the genre lately. It's easy to heap praise on the 90s adventure games, that was the heyday.

Gemini Rue definitely deserves to be up there, and although I think the list was just a bit too early for it, Resonance is totally amazing and would get my vote for the absolutely best, most innovative adventure game of the last decade. Basically a partical physics scientist dies unexpectedly and the lives of 4 playable characters are wound together in puzzling ways as they have to beat the clock to prevent an epic cataclysm. Great twist on the traditional adventure interface. Amazing plotline. All it's missing is a Tardis.

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/resonance.html

I'm happy to see that Machinarium is getting so many votes! :)

It's one of my all-time favourite games!

Resonance, The Runaway (the latest installment, the others had lame puzzles), The Next Big Thing and John Yesterday (my favorite!) come to mind. It's really a shame Pendulo did not run their fundraising campaign on kickstarter, I would have loved to pledge and see a game from them. I know kickstarter is legit, that other place (indiegogo?) I had reservations about.

The first part of Kentucky Route Zero came out today. I had the pleasure of playing it as an IGF judge. It is excellent. The visual and audio direction absolutely nail the atmosphere they're going for, and the writing is pitch perfect.

It is also an IGF finalist for Narrative, Visual, Audio, and the Grand Prize. I'm off to go buy the whole series right now.

The first part of Kentucky Route Zero came out today. I had the pleasure of playing it as an IGF judge. It is excellent. The visual and audio direction absolutely nail the atmosphere they're going for, and the writing is pitch perfect.

It is also an IGF finalist for Narrative, Visual, Audio, and the Grand Prize. I'm off to go buy the whole series right now.

That looks seriously awesome! Thanks for the info :D

Ooo, I remember that trailer from Steam Greenlight. Yes, definetly looking forward to it.

Sign in to follow this