Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Best Point and Click Adventure Games from the past 10 years

What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?  

2,828 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?

• 7 Days a Skeptic
    • 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    • A New Beginning
    • A Vampyre Story
    • Ankh
    • Another Code: Two Memories
    • Back to the Future
    • Ben There, Dan That
    • Black Mirror 2
    • Blackwell
    • Ceville
    • Deponia
    • Drawn: The Painted Tower
    • Dreamfall
    • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
    • Full Pipe
    • Genini Rue
    • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    • Gretel and Hansel
    • Grey Matter
    • Hector: Badge of Carnage
    • Hotel Dusk
    • Jack Keane
    • Kaptain Brawe
    • Lost Horizon
    • Lume
    • Machinarium
    • Metal Dead
    • Myst IV
    • Myst V: End of Ages
    • Out of Order
    • Overclocked
    • Puzzle Agent
    • Puzzle Bots
    • Runaway: A Road Trip Adventure
    • Sam & Max Season 1
    • Sam & Max Season 2
    • Samarost
    • Samarost 2
    • Scarlett and the Spark of LIfe
    • Scratches
    • Secret Files
    • Secret Files 2
    • Simon: Chaos Happens
    • Still Life
    • Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    • Syberia
    • Syberia 2
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Book of Living Magic
    • The Book of Unwritten Tales
    • The Dream Machine
    • The Longest Journey
    • The Lost Crown
    • The Whispered World
    • Time Gentlemen, Please!
    • Trilby’s Notes
    • Undercover: Operation Wintersun
    • Wallace and Gromit
    • Zack & Wiki

So while we started our wait for part 2 we have to pass the time with other adventure games :D And maybe now broken age has to be added to the vote ;)

For me: "the book of unwritten tales" is the best adventure game in the past 10 years, The longest journey (like others said here) is too old to count (and if it did still would run second for me).

The book of unwritten tales gives me back that feeling I also had in the old adventure games. It is very funny, very charming and for an adventure it will take quite a while to complete. Puzzles aren't that hard, but also not as easy as in many other adventures.

Sadly the next game in the series (the critter chronicles) doesn't reach that quality again.

Why is Fester Mudd not in this list? It is short, but funny and has very well designed puzzles.

And Broken Age needs to be added, of course.

Why is Fester Mudd not in this list? It is short, but funny and has very well designed puzzles.

And Broken Age needs to be added, of course.

This thread has been around longer than Fester Mudd ^_^

It was created to start researching what sort of adventure games backers appreciated back when the crowdfunding campaign finished. It'd probably be better to make a new poll rather than keep this one up to date, I think :)

When we do our next Game Club end of year survey thread, we'll have Fester Mudd and Broken Age in it, I reckon :D

So while we started our wait for part 2 we have to pass the time with other adventure games :D And maybe now broken age has to be added to the vote ;)

For me: "the book of unwritten tales" is the best adventure game in the past 10 years, The longest journey (like others said here) is too old to count (and if it did still would run second for me).

The book of unwritten tales gives me back that feeling I also had in the old adventure games. It is very funny, very charming and for an adventure it will take quite a while to complete. Puzzles aren't that hard, but also not as easy as in many other adventures.

Sadly the next game in the series (the critter chronicles) doesn't reach that quality again.

Yeah, BoUT is excellent. It's a lovely, funny, enchanting adventure that, while lacking the polish of Broken Age, has comic timing, voice acting, world/character-building that are absolutely first-rate. Lots of lovely adventure game (amongst other) references too. The Discworld one was my personal favourite.

I just love the fact that it got 9/10 review on a video game TV show here in Australia too. :)

I just want to mention Labrynian Rebel seems like a gentleman and a scholar.

I wish there was an option for "I haven't played enough of these games to cast a meaningful vote, but I'd kind of like to see the results anyway". Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People it is.

I liked Ghost Trick and 999 much better than any other western adventure game that came out in the last 10 years : (

They had a very good mix of gameplay and story. Maybe the reason they are so good is that they didn't set out saying "let's make a point and click game", but they came out with a creative gameplay idea (although it's kind of meta in the case of 999, since the nature of its gameplay factors heavily into the ending twist) and built the game and story around that. The puzzles were clever too and I never felt like there was any handholding. 999 has mostly logic puzzles, while Ghost Trick has the kind of zany item combination you'd expect from a LucasArts title : )

I hated every Telltale game I've played (but I haven't played TWD). Botanicula was cute. I also liked the Ben&Dan; adventures, which surprised me with how carefully crafted they were (unique responses for everything?!), but I found the puzzles easy and the writing kinda juvenile, although the second one was funnier.

I haven't finished TLJ, but this far I find the dialogues boring and overwritten and the puzzles frustratingly illogical (sorry). I will probably finish it because the overall story is quite interesting and, well, there's Crow. But for me it's hardly a contender.

I quite liked (loved) The Cat Lady, an adventure game but it's keyboard stuff.

Que podría ser peor no me arregla.

999 was really good, also enjoyed a lot dangarompa

It's ridiculous how few votes Sword & Sworcery EP has gotten so far
I kinda like it, but 40% in and I'm still not sure what the goal or motive is... maybe I missed something in the beginning? I like the atmosphere but I can't handle more than an hour at a time.

Just played Samorost 1 & 2... very cute! Now I'm into Machinirium... LOVE IT!!! I would vote that one for sure, but the thing is... I haven't really heard of 90% of these :/

I like the less "epic" and more personal nature of games. I mean, I can certainly relate to finding a lost dog more than trying to save the world from apocalypse. Also, games too focused on puzzles, like Myst, don't interest me much. I did like World-of-Goo though, but it had cute characters and an interesting story... most important it had a GREAT ending... I really REALLY don't wanna play games that have sucky endings!!!

Can you guys recommend some games you'd think I'd like?

Somehow it would be funny having a poll which asks for the best adventures of all times, also to put old and new adventures more into relationship. Something like 5 points for the best, 3 points for the second best and 1 point for the third best adventure or even better distributing 10 points just the way you want amongst them. Hmm, i wonder how the result would look like.

The Ace Attorney games.

It's too bad that they are not in the poll.

Were those "point and click"?

It's a mix between a "point and click" game and a "visual novel".

The investigation parts can be played almost like a classic "point and click" adventure game.

I was really amazed when I played Ace Attorney for the first time. I thought it was a really fresh way to look at point and click adventure game (at this time I didn't know anything about visual novels though).

The last ten years have been pretty sub par for adventure games, but I found myself enjoying Machinarium, the Blackwell games and Tales of Monkey Island quite a bit, even though they all have their flaws. My favorite adventure game in recent years, however, would be Primordia, and it would have gotten my vote on this list had it been included. The atmosphere and graphics are spot-on, and it has some fairly challenging puzzles and an interesting story to boot.

I think Tim mentioned Ghost Trick in one of the Amnesia Fortnight interviews? Does this mean he played it? The idea really warms the cockles of my heart for some reason.

Looking at this poll it is just too difficult to decide which game was my favorite, and it makes me realize just how many adventure games I have played in the last decade.

Now I must spend the rest of my life trying to live up to those lofty expectations :)

Now I must spend the rest of my life trying to live up to those lofty expectations :)

I didn't vote for TLJ because it's over a decade old and it felt like cheating. So I gave my vote to Machinarium, which I think is one of the best adventure games ever made, nevermind in the last decade. The animation and story are beautiful, and the puzzle design is the best of anything I've played in the last 10 years. I wish all adventure games designed their puzzles so well!

I'm surprised Botanicula didn't make the list, but I guess it's not as popular or memorable as Machinarium and the Samorost games.

I'm surprised so many people like Machinarium so much. Does it get better later on? Does a story begin to emerge at some point? Because as far as I got, it felt like assembly-line puzzle solving.

I'm surprised so many people like Machinarium so much. Does it get better later on? Does a story begin to emerge at some point? Because as far as I got, it felt like assembly-line puzzle solving.

There is a bit of story in there, but there's not much exposition and you need to piece a lot of it together yourself.

There is a bit of story in there, but there's not much exposition and you need to piece a lot of it together yourself.

I don't mind putting a story together myself if the clues are there but as far as I got, Machinarium felt more like an animated puzzle book than a video game to me.

I don't mind putting a story together myself if the clues are there but as far as I got, Machinarium felt more like an animated puzzle book than a video game to me.

It's hard to offer any comment without knowing how far you played. It's possible that you just didn't give it enough time, or it's equally possible that you prefer games with more story presence.

Yes, there is a story, and a plot, and solving the puzzles helps to slowly unlock it. It's a simple story, in the same stye as the storytelling in Samorost.

Sign in to follow this