Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Best Point and Click Adventure Games from the past 10 years

What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?  

2,828 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?

• 7 Days a Skeptic
    • 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    • A New Beginning
    • A Vampyre Story
    • Ankh
    • Another Code: Two Memories
    • Back to the Future
    • Ben There, Dan That
    • Black Mirror 2
    • Blackwell
    • Ceville
    • Deponia
    • Drawn: The Painted Tower
    • Dreamfall
    • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
    • Full Pipe
    • Genini Rue
    • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    • Gretel and Hansel
    • Grey Matter
    • Hector: Badge of Carnage
    • Hotel Dusk
    • Jack Keane
    • Kaptain Brawe
    • Lost Horizon
    • Lume
    • Machinarium
    • Metal Dead
    • Myst IV
    • Myst V: End of Ages
    • Out of Order
    • Overclocked
    • Puzzle Agent
    • Puzzle Bots
    • Runaway: A Road Trip Adventure
    • Sam & Max Season 1
    • Sam & Max Season 2
    • Samarost
    • Samarost 2
    • Scarlett and the Spark of LIfe
    • Scratches
    • Secret Files
    • Secret Files 2
    • Simon: Chaos Happens
    • Still Life
    • Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    • Syberia
    • Syberia 2
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Book of Living Magic
    • The Book of Unwritten Tales
    • The Dream Machine
    • The Longest Journey
    • The Lost Crown
    • The Whispered World
    • Time Gentlemen, Please!
    • Trilby’s Notes
    • Undercover: Operation Wintersun
    • Wallace and Gromit
    • Zack & Wiki

I voted for Machinarium. I really love the way that game worked. Beautiful music, excellent artwork and great graphics. I absolutely hate 3D graphics in P&C games. It doesn't look good and thus, the game lacks of atmosphere. And for me, it's all about atmosphere and gameplay.

Had to pick The Longest Journey, as it's such a wonderful and deep game. And it's from my home country! :)

Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please! should be merged into one, just like Tales of Monkey Island is.

Unfortunately there's a lot that's missing, but we'll have to live with it and it doesn't matter since you'll not get an accurate result anyway.

But Tales of Monkey Island hasn't been merged. It's just one game that's based on episodes.

I think I'll check out The Shivah though, I haven't heard of it yet.

So, did DF Greg start this thread on behalf of Tim to give him some ideas for adventure games to try, while he's getting back in the P&C mood?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Well... with this list I'd say you can find out a lot about your target audience (us) - what could work for most of us and what not so much. There are other threads with many more tipps for games to consider.

Soooo summing up the list I'd say: Give us an epic story like Longest Journey/Dreamfall, but make it funny like some of the better telltale games (but not 3D) aaaaand add a few puzzles like machinarium (but not too many because otherwise a lot people will start bitching about it; maybe add some daedelic-like puzzles so no one will notice that the puzzledesign is inspired by Machinarium). Then we should be fine... although it wouldn't hurt to add a few action-like elements like Gemini Rue or Dreamfall *lol*. Besides also taking the Sierra VS Lucas Arts thread into account: the whole cake better tastes like a LucasArts with a huuuge load of Sierra topping... (although I could do without the Sierra part),

I guess that could do to make a lot people happy (or no one ...).

Just kidding ;)

Where is The Devil's Playhouse?

Its not a point and click adventure game- technically. By the time Telltale did Devil's Playhouse they changed the game play style to work for consoles so it controls more like what you would expect with a console controller.

So what? "point and click" is not a genre, why are we excluding a great adventure game only because it can be controlled by a pad?

Where is The Devil's Playhouse?

Its not a point and click adventure game- technically. By the time Telltale did Devil's Playhouse they changed the game play style to work for consoles so it controls more like what you would expect with a console controller.

So what? "point and click" is not a genre, why are we excluding a great adventure game only because it can be controlled by a pad?

Besides the game style hasn't changed that much (except for the ego-perspective of Max but here it's pretty much like a first person point and click adventure and since we also have Myst in the list and it's only a part of Sam & Max that works like that, it doesn't make sense to exclude it because of this reason). But anyway there are several games that have been forgotten, so whatever ;).

I voted for the Longest Journey. I finished the game for the first time a few days ago, and I really loved it. However it shouldn't be on the list because it was released in 1999.

I don't really understand the love for Machinarium though. The art style and the sound design are very good, but the "puzzles" are really awful in my opinion. Most don't make much sense and are just mini-games with no real "in-game logic".

The worst being the mini-game you had to play to be given a hint, which was absolutely terrible...

There is also the fact that the game is made in Flash, which is extremely annoying because you can't even do a simple right-click. I mean, seriously, a point-and-click or adventure game in which you can't even use the mouse properly?

Voted The Longest Journey.

But I'd like to point out that Dreamfall is more like an action/adventure game rather than a classic point & click adventure (I loved the story of Dreamfall, but gameplay there was... meh-ish), so I think Sam & Max Season 3 would be much more appropriate than Dreamfall on the list.

I usually like the more funny kind of adventure games. Loved the Sam and Max remakes, and TOMM. But The Longest Journey? It's got that little bit more... Great story, setting, music and characters. And because of that there can be more emotion, a truly moving story... And that's hard to achieve. Dreamfall fell short (no pun intended). So come on Ragnar, stop making those boring MMO's and complete the trilogy!

Well... with this list I'd say you can find out a lot about your target audience (us) - what could work for most of us and what not so much. [...]

Well, I dunno. I think this poll is a popularity contest and little else. Not everyone played the same games after all, so the most popular ones win.

i voted Strong Bad's Cool Game, the only point and click games I've played in the last 10 years are Telltale games, and SBGFAP is the best of the ones I've played,

Longest Journey was my favorite, great story, great graphics. Beyond Good and Evil would be my second choice, if it were on the list.

Then there are the Tell-Tale games. I really liked Sam and Max, I'm half-way through Tales of Monkey Island, and Back to the Future is waiting for its turn in my Steam library.

Somehow I haven't heard about Machinarium, it looks really neat and seems to be one of the favorites. Thanks for the list!

sq4.jpg

How could you forget the Space Quest series? That narrator was one of the best I'd ever heard...also it's one of two point and click adventure games I've actually played :P

I choose Gemini Rue.

I think it's amazing how good the atmosphere comes across through those pixelated graphics... that Bladerunner vibe.

A game I'm really not sure what to think of is Runaway(1). I really loved the environments and that true adventure feeling you get when you start of at that hospital.

But I really hated that main character and the voice-acting overall.

The main character is that dorky kinda guy but not in a funny way.

gemini rue was the one which took me waaaaay past. I've finished the game with just one session. Everything was perfect.

Also hotel dusk was a pretty fun game. it even used ds's handicapped sides (faulty multitouch thing). that was a very creative puzzle. it made me stuck on that puzzle for 2-3 days. How can you even guess you should abuse the console? very clever!

Could not answer that any of those stand out. Machinarium was "cute", while Gemini Rue was interesting for being indie. I want Full Throttle meets DOTT

Sadly I haven't played most of those games, but from the ones I actually played I had to choose between the Myst ones for the love of the saga and Ghost Trick.

Voted Ghost Trick for true originality both in game mechanics and storytelling, althought the main plot was actually a bit off

Could not answer that any of those stand out. Machinarium was "cute", while Gemini Rue was interesting for being indie. I want Full Throttle meets DOTT

Definitely agree here. I'd hate to see characters compromised in trade for movement puzzles.

Well, I think it's a pretty safe bet that my one vote for Gretel and Hansel won't make it the winner. Which is a shame really, because the game is fantastic! Dark. But fantastic! And did I mention it's ABSOLUTELY FREE TO PLAY?

Give it a try everyone! You won't be disappointed!

Gretel and Hansel: Part 1

Gretel and Hansel: Part 2

You know _technically_ you could put "Monkey Island: Special Edition" on here since it came out semi-recently. The ability to go between old-school graphics and revamped graphics was amazing. If not for the ability to do so, just to compare what was changed and how it was interpreted from one era to the next.

With that said I haven't played a lot of the recent adventure games. In fact I've only recently just installed Grim Fandango after backing DFA. I've been a strong supporter of Telltale games, but after a while you can kind of see how pretty much all of their games (at least what I've played) work.

* 3 trials to accomplish

* 3 things needed for each trial

* Final challenge

This isn't a horrible thing, but it's just kind of predictable knowing "oh, these are the 3 things i need to do this 'episode' ". Throwing some randomness in an adventure game isn't always a bad idea :)

So many names!

Unfortunately I haven't for played many adventure games in the last ten years.

Starship Titanic was my last one for a long while but I played a lot before that one. Time Hollow is a decent one from Japan. And I have 999: Nine Hour, Nine Persons, Nine Doors sitting unopened till I can find enough time to devote to what I know will be a great game.

But the one game I gotta mention which I loved was Obsidian - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_(video_game) (even though it falls outside of the 10 year range).

I don't think it's well known but it was an amazing head trip. I just loved it. I loved the writing, I loved the design. I loved all that game.

Ghost Trick would probably be my pick for my best of the past 10 years though (which I played).

Of the list, I own and have played through...

Back to the Future, Ben There Dan That / Time Gentlemen Please!, Blackwell (1 & 2), Lost Horizon, Machinarium, Runaway, Sam & Max (1 & 2 & 3), Samarost, Syberia, The Longest Journey, Zack & Wiki

...and "Ben There, Dan That" and/or "Time Gentlemen, Please" gets my vote. It felt classic and polished (in spite of the graphics) and full of character (albeit, with tons of crude British humour... but I like that). Good to see them with a decent number of votes. I also own Blackwell 3 and Lume, but haven't played them yet.

- BTTF was nice for BTTF nostalgia, but was a little weak in "cleverness" (i.e. puzzles and the feeling of "a-ha!" as opposed to either "duh" or "uh... what?" or "click on everything!")

- Sam & Max 1 and 2... I'm afraid they didn't entertain me much due to feeling slow-paced... I often felt like going to sleep while playing them (compare with Full Throttle's *feeling* of pace)

- Machinarium was nice and chill, although short

- Runaway felt awkward somehow... as if it wasn't quite sure how to be a movie, when it really shouldn't have tried to be.

- Samarost was interesting and different, but not "epic" like I would love another adventure game to be

- Syberia was intriguing and beautiful, but felt unfinished or lacking in story depth (no, I still haven't gotten around to Syberia 2)

- The Longest Journey was also beautiful, but... sooo much walking... (remove the tedium of walking and I'd favor it much more (plus a bugged puzzle on my first playthrough was frustrating)) ...plus I wanted more video sequences and strange things happening

- Lost Horizon was fairly refreshing, if also sometimes stumbling around the edge of the am-I-a-movie? awkwardness pit

- Zack & Wiki was just fun, although felt more like a puzzle-solving game than a *classic* adventure

- and Blackwell 1 & 2 were very nice, and very classic, while still trying new things

...my few cents

Was tricky, picked between Another Code: Two Memories, Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and MYST V: End of Ages (Still the 2nd best MYST in my opinion).

I picked Another Code: Two Memories, weird that the sequel isn't on there though. Another Code R: A Journey into Lost Memories. Or URU: Ages Beyond MYST for that matter, sure, it's a mix of platformer and adventure game, but it's still a adventure game. Also, the Hotel Dusk sequel; Last Window: The Case of Cape West that should qualify too, damn good game.

Oh well, even with them on I would have gone with Another Code: Two Memories, amazing game.

Well, I think it's a pretty safe bet that my one vote for Gretel and Hansel won't make it the winner. Which is a shame really, because the game is fantastic! Dark. But fantastic! And did I mention it's ABSOLUTELY FREE TO PLAY?

Give it a try everyone! You won't be disappointed!

Gretel and Hansel: Part 1

Gretel and Hansel: Part 2

What? I totally missed that option! Dang, I would have voted for that for sure..

I was too busy looking for Alice is Dead (which I didn't see either, so many words make my eyes glaze over).

Of the list, I've played 999, Ghost Trick, Longest Journey & Dreamfall, the two Syberia games, and most of the Telltale ones on the list.

I immediately dismissed 999, Ghost Trick, and Puzzle Agent as not really being adventure games. Although I liked them all, 999 was a visual novel, and the other two were puzzle games.

It was really hard to choose from the rest, as a lot of them were good in different ways, but I eventually settled on voting for The Longest Journey, mainly for the storyline. It was also the first true adventure game I played after the drought that followed Grim Fandango, so that probably has something to do with it as well.

Favorite moment: stealing the detective's optical implant in order to bypass the biometrics and break into the police computer systems. That poor, poor officer.

Sign in to follow this