Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Best Point and Click Adventure Games from the past 10 years

What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?  

2,828 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Point and Click Adventure Game from the past 10 years?

• 7 Days a Skeptic
    • 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    • A New Beginning
    • A Vampyre Story
    • Ankh
    • Another Code: Two Memories
    • Back to the Future
    • Ben There, Dan That
    • Black Mirror 2
    • Blackwell
    • Ceville
    • Deponia
    • Drawn: The Painted Tower
    • Dreamfall
    • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
    • Full Pipe
    • Genini Rue
    • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
    • Gretel and Hansel
    • Grey Matter
    • Hector: Badge of Carnage
    • Hotel Dusk
    • Jack Keane
    • Kaptain Brawe
    • Lost Horizon
    • Lume
    • Machinarium
    • Metal Dead
    • Myst IV
    • Myst V: End of Ages
    • Out of Order
    • Overclocked
    • Puzzle Agent
    • Puzzle Bots
    • Runaway: A Road Trip Adventure
    • Sam & Max Season 1
    • Sam & Max Season 2
    • Samarost
    • Samarost 2
    • Scarlett and the Spark of LIfe
    • Scratches
    • Secret Files
    • Secret Files 2
    • Simon: Chaos Happens
    • Still Life
    • Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    • Syberia
    • Syberia 2
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Book of Living Magic
    • The Book of Unwritten Tales
    • The Dream Machine
    • The Longest Journey
    • The Lost Crown
    • The Whispered World
    • Time Gentlemen, Please!
    • Trilby’s Notes
    • Undercover: Operation Wintersun
    • Wallace and Gromit
    • Zack & Wiki

For me, Runaway is a kind of Point and Click Adventure Game that makes me have a feeling of LucasArt game (Full Throttle, Grim Fandango) Nowadays, there's hardly found any Point and Click Adventure Game makes me have this feeling.

My favorites are The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, glad to see TLJ is getting lots of love. And Ragnar was interviewed in 2012 saying that a 3rd game is definitely happening.

Did anyone mention the fact that The Longest Journey was released in 1999? I think the golden medal winner should be disqualified, which gives the title to Machinarium. Well played, Amanita. I actually voted for Dreamfall with Machinarium a close second. However I still have the impression that some good games are missing.

TMI takes the second place? An enjoyable game, but not much more unfortunately especially compared to the first three in the series. Kind of sad when you compare the last decade of adventure gaming to the one before. Hopefully things appear to change for the better this year!

I went with Tales of Monkey Island.

I debated on choosing Machinarium, but I haven't completed it yet, so I went with the one I did finish.

Playing the Dream Machine now, and its quite impressive!

Would have voted for To the Moon had it been in the poll, voted for Ghost Trick instead.

I'll attempt to rank the other games I've played that are on this list:

Dreamfall

Machinarium

Tales of Monkey Island

Ben There, Dan That

Gemini Rue

So many of these other games I have to play.

Come on people, adventure fans really should have better memory... Tales of MI is like 5 times better than first Syberia?? This is completely nuts..

Even if the setting or pacing of the game wasn't your cup of tea, there is no way you couldn't appreciate the incredible originality of design and story, stunning artwork, quirky and interesting characters, perfectly matched sounds, music...

All this against reasonably fun but 100% derivative sequel, made from old ready made characters using a tried and true formula for everything else, that was continuously tested on numerous similar games over the course of several years.

This reminds me of those "100 BEST SONGS OF ALL TIME" charts where like half of them are pop hits from last couple of years..

ps. Or maybe the reason is the people who are old enough to have played syberia chose TLJ over it, and others simply chose tales of mi because it has MONKEY ISLAND right there in the name

Hehe while I can definitely choose one, I would really prefer to rate them instead, since some almost great titles can't really shine with this method. I'm also surprised by ToMI getting so many votes, not because it is a bad game per se, but since is included in such a rooster of unbelievebly good ones, that make it pale in comparison, but I guess it has an easy life since most people who backed the game are huge fans of the brand.

Geez, this is a hard question to answer.

It´s someone from this pile, that much I know.

Dreamfall

Gray Matter

Sam&Max;: The Devil's Playhouse

Syberia 1

Tales of Monkey Island

I kinda want to say Puzzle Agent is a candidate also. It was a bit short, a bit to easy puzzles, but that story. Frickin awesome.

Syberia and Syberia II are my favorite because they have the best execution of storytelling of all the games on that list I have played.

The characters just pull you in to the adventure!

Besides, what adventure wouldn't be improved by the presence of a by-the-books mechanical train conductor?

;)

This was VERY difficult. As much as I love Tales of Monkey Island, I had to go with Myst IV simply because I don't think I have ever been as immersed in a game as when I played through it. Even if it is six years old, I still believe it is the most beautiful game ever created.

Gretel and Hansel 2 was a ton of fun, and refreshing. I hope it isn't being overlooked because it is a Flash game.

Ghost Trick and the Phoenix Wright trilogy for me. They were better than all the other "true" adventure games for me.

Gretel and Hansel 2 was a ton of fun, and refreshing. I hope it isn't being overlooked because it is a Flash game.

oh geez... I forgot about that series. i don't know if i'd have voted it over my top 3 favorite on the list, but if I had multiple votes, i think I'd have given one to Gretel and Hansel.

No "The Walking Dead" - the first ep of that was pretty good.

I am more a fan of the older than 10 year adventure games club :) i just think that adventure games in the last few years went a bit too casual, and lost there edge a bit. But recently things have been definitely looking up.

I am more a fan of the older than 10 year adventure games club :) i just think that adventure games in the last few years went a bit too casual, and lost there edge a bit.

At one point in time, adventure games offered stronger narrative storytelling, a lot of depth, and a slick presentation style compared to their peers.

Then, as other genres got deeper and learned to incorporate more detailed stories and slicker presentation, adventures started to fall by the wayside. Rather than try to move in the same direction, Adventure game companies, somewhat cynically, decided the solution was to just dumb their games down. They thought if only they could make their games as dumb as the consumer, they'd have a hit once again. That was their downfall, really.

I know I bring it up too much, but the Tex Murphy games, and especially Pandora Directive, tried really hard to push things forward with branching stories and multiple solutions and a really slick, movie-like presentation without dumbing things down, but they were really the only ones taking that approach. Unfortunately, their marketing was terrible and it didn't help, and no one followed suit. I hope the new one get us back to that point.

I'll add RESONANCE and MEMENTO MORI 2 to my personal Top 10 list :).

Machinarium is on my "want to play" list, I played a (flash i think?) demo and thought it was rather cute.

Tales of Monkey Island was SO GREAT. So funny and Guybrush is the very best. Sam & Max are obvs a very close second.

I want humour and random inventory combinations in my adventure gameS!

This was VERY difficult. As much as I love Tales of Monkey Island, I had to go with Myst IV simply because I don't think I have ever been as immersed in a game as when I played through it. Even if it is six years old, I still believe it is the most beautiful game ever created.

I too loved Myst Revelation (if that is IV and not Uru, Ages Beyond Myst standalone, not on the list), and it also seems to be the hardest of the Myst series to buy in a downloadable format anywhere for some reason. So if anyone knows a reputable site where it can be purchased for download I would love to play it again. It would have been my second choice.

I went with The Longest Journey as a richer all round adventure (and it didn't require me to babysit anyone) :)

Machinarium would have been my third choice.

I too loved Myst Revelation (if that is IV and not Uru, Ages Beyond Myst standalone, not on the list), and it also seems to be the hardest of the Myst series to buy in a downloadable format anywhere for some reason. So if anyone knows a reputable site where it can be purchased for download I would love to play it again. It would have been my second choice.

Seems like it's stuck between the "old enough to get a downloadable remake" era and the "new enough to be distributed online" era. Unless you want to buy a physical copy, I don't think there's any legal way to obtain it. :/

Easy. Machinarium and simply because it's beautiful in every possible sense, especially the soundtrack (bought the soundtrack on vinyl, it's just plain awesome) and the art design in general. The story was kinda cute as well. Gameplay could've been better though, but the art department took away my pain.

Samorost and Samorost 2 are also just terrific (typo in the poll btw). Oh yes, I'm an Amanita Design fanboy - although nowadays I'm a Tomas Dvorak fanboy, he made the OST.

Not to take anything away from Machinarium, I do believe the poll is biased by the fact that Machinarium got really good press in the first Kickstarter videos, so people here probably played it recently, coming into it with a good view before playing, and remember the experience more sharply because it is a more recent memory.

Again, not to bash the games' merits.

Sign in to follow this