Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BaddestEver

Guns in Trees

Thought I'd share a trick with anyone that hasn't seen/done this yet. The trees accross the bridge on swamp are a valuable spot for sniper emplacements, archies, or shredders...whatever you want to do with them, really. Swamp is such a small map that you can really run out of room fast. Every new spot can count towards the end.

You can fit ELEVEN sniper emplacements total. Although it seems like I find a new spot every time I play. I'm sure you could fit 12 or 13 green emplacements.

A few notes:

-Emplacement #1 is a knob trap. It's low enough to the ground that the knobs get stuck underneath.

-Emplacement #3 in the picture is a shredder, but I'm sure I could've fit a sniper if a collector wasn't right underneath.

-If #1-6 are sniper emplacements, all of them hit medium and large sized tubes the moment they emerge out of the conduits below the bridge. I think I've seen #7 and #8 take shots too.

-#10 (not pictured) is just left of #9 under the aerial spawn

-#11 (not pictured) is just to my trench's right side...on the tree in the middle of the hill.

-There's also a tree just to the right of emplacement #1 that can fit an emplacement, but the bursts that come out of the conduits below the bridge always take it out.

-#7 defies physics. lol

-There's actually another sniper emplacement on the side of the ramp (right between #5 and #6). This is an amazing sniper spot for peeling jacobs from behind, and knobs ignore it. Some people would argue that the ramp is better for mortars, but these are GREAT spots for snipers.

-Spots #7 and #8 are PERFECT for Lt. Archies, as they reach the aerial spawn and the aerials that come out of the ramp.

forrest_fire.jpg

Well heck.

I knew you could fit em in trees, and I use 3 of these frequently, but that many?

And I play Swamp a ton lately.... wtf me xD

DEFINITELY playing with the trees some more then, I'd only ever gotten things into 3, maybe 4 of them xD

I used to think there were only three or four spots too.

I usually get bored pretty fast playing with randoms, so I just let them hold down the base while I spend the entire game experimenting with different spots.

Speaking of which, I just found a 12th tree.

I'm such a good team player.

I know how to get outside the map on Swamp, and how to get above the map on Settlement, so there ;-P But seriously, the boundaries for these two maps are very strange, lol. You can do some interesting things when you get out of the normal map.

Oh man, the settlement one blew up like a wild fire. Too bad it's not very useful. I wonder how you do swamps because I had to use some intricate ideas. Same way you hacked the leaderboards? Jk! But seriously what's up with that

I don't know about the leaderboard to be honest. I think it was maybe that I was the first person to reach level 20 (I played nonstop when Martian Bear came out till I hit 20 which took about half the day/night), and when MS fubar'd the boards, that factored in. And I found out about getting out of the map on swamp in the weirdest way. We'll have to meet up sometime if you're up for it, and we can show each other. A friend of mine showed me Settlement, and I don't think he found out from anyone else as he is always trying to do odd things to break games, lol.

Oh man, the settlement one blew up like a wild fire. Too bad it's not very useful. I wonder how you do swamps because I had to use some intricate ideas. Same way you hacked the leaderboards? Jk! But seriously what's up with that

The extra sniper emplacements you put up there are actually good for taking a few shots at the volts. There's really only a few sniper spots on the green side of the map that don't get distracted by the burst transmitters/jacobs out of green. I think they take two shots each...but I've never really confirmed it.

Nice, I have such a problem getting emplacements in these trees. On other maps its easy, but this one gets me. I just rim the forest on the safe lumps at the maps edge instead but that's not as choice. You can sneak more emplacements onto that ramp but the best spots you already have down. I usually put a few mortars or snipers in between the ramp and flier spawn. Usually mortars due to the limited view.

This means you can easily dump up to about 20 or more snipers on this side of the bridge using your awesome tree spots and the usual rim spots.

Nicely done! Wouldn't it be more beneficial to put laser turrets or clusters? My brother can put tons of sniper turrets by the blue base to shoot down the volt droppers. For the life of me I can't get pass wave 92 in swamp...

Nicely done! Wouldn't it be more beneficial to put laser turrets or clusters? My brother can put tons of sniper turrets by the blue base to shoot down the volt droppers. For the life of me I can't get pass wave 92 in swamp...

Eww lasers.

Snipers would be the best choice, throwing some clusters up there isn't an awful idea but that's more preference than anything else.

. I think they take two shots each...but I've never really confirmed it.

Well now that we've confirmed this I think it's fair to say there's no beneficial turret spots outside the map on Settlement.

Didn't use the exact spots and still fit 11~12 snipers in the trees during a 'screw around' game.

So yep, thought I might suck at throwing them in em but nah. Ain't too hard. Got me bored as heck with normal runs for 100 though. I thought it might take me a bit longer to get hungry for those challenges, no sniper/no orange/ 100% but yeah... gettin' there now. xD

I usually get bored pretty fast playing with randoms, so I just let them hold down the base while I spend the entire game experimenting with different spots.

My GF and I have been trying for days to place emplacements in trees.

Is there a special technique / Core / Legs that works best?

How is this magic trick done??

I'm not the best but it only took me a second for each turret unless I was in a hurry (isn't that always the way?)

I just aim high as if I were throwing on a building and spin around the tree. Looks silly but it's the absolute fastest I've gotten em where I want em, course I'm amateur as feck on this sooo~

My GF and I have been trying for days to place emplacements in trees.

Is there a special technique / Core / Legs that works best?

How is this magic trick done??

I've found it's easiest with a honeychurch, and pretty easy with a woodruff. Hard as hell with a selker because of that camo netting, and if I remember correctly, equally as hard with the Karlsson because of the faceplate.

I managed it twice, in two separate games, but have had no luck since. One time it was by starting at the ground and then raising my aim until the tree flashed from red to white. Must have been a fluke because I can't duplicate it. I'll have to try the looking-up-and-spinning-around-the-tree thing. Let you know how it goes...

Seriously. Those spots are meant for cluster mortars (including the hill and slopes), snipers are just wasteful since you already got them all firing from the direction of the power plant...

Seriously. Those spots are meant for cluster mortars (including the hill and slopes), snipers are just wasteful since you already got them all firing from the direction of the power plant...

I can't tell whether you're being serious or sarcastic.

I can't tell whether you're being serious or sarcastic.

Yeah...

No such thing as too many snipers, and I would agree that fitting one MAYBE two in if someone brought mortars wouldn't be awful (had it happen on one of the runs) but replacing with mortars?....

Granted, the mortar does one thing better than snipers on swamp...and that is deal with the amps with jacobs. That's it. It's the only thing they're better at. Which isn't saying much considering snipers don't do anything to them.

When it comes to actual usefulness, though, the snipers are still better suited for the ramp/trees...because when a (insert tube here) is long past the ramp and still has jacobs trailing behind it, guess what's going to keep taking effective shots? Not the mortar.

I've tried the whole mortar ramp/tree thing. I really have. And I've wanted it to work. Wasn't impressed. Every single time I've included them in a serious run I felt like I had to do a lot of unnecessary manual jacobs cleanup towards the later waves.

Piercing Sniper Turrets > everything else in terms of effiency. I've ran into a lot of USS Mckinley dialogs that go something like this..

Me: you're not gonna put a lot of those lasers down are ya?

Someone with lasers: well, I found they work really well against groups of stuff

Me: honestly, they're really not worth a damn it'd be better if you just brought snipers

Someone with lasers: Actually, last time I used these we made it to wave 72.

Me: yeah, I'm sorry but they basically suck. Something else got you to wave 72 that wasn't a laser.

Someone with lasers: I mean I can take them off.. I just like them, it's my playing style.

Me: please take them off

Ive gotten in only one argument about what oranges should be brought. I'm starting to dislike te phrase "it's just my playing style". Anyway, I can only think one reason to use mortars instead but you only need one and that's for knobs/Cathie's. Just one good spot that can annihilate a group as soon as they come out of the gate in order to free up sniper turrets quicker. But yeah we don't use them on 100% runs and that's what I judge things by now a days.

But yeah we don't use them on 100% runs and that's what I judge things by now a days.

And yet, you still invite me to play! xD

CrackaLackN will play with anyone if he thinks that they might be female.

But yeah we don't use them on 100% runs and that's what I judge things by now a days.

And yet, you still invite me to play! xD

CrackaLackN will play with anyone if he thinks that they might be female.

xD

Sign in to follow this