Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reznor151

Kicking it Forward ?

I think this is a brilliant idea. The theory of community funded projects giving to other community funded projects after they made a profit makes me feel all warm and tingly inside.

remember they are not spending your money they are spending the profit they have made in the game made with crowd funding.

Clearly a great idea but how can it be policed? Maybe I've not read into it enough but it seems like people could easily say they are going to do it, get the badge, then keep all profit for themselves.

Clearly a great idea but how can it be policed? Maybe I've not read into it enough but it seems like people could easily say they are going to do it, get the badge, then keep all profit for themselves.
It's being done on the honor system, so it's up to the people to keep their word.

i love the idea of kicking it forward, its a good initiative to keep people focused on kickstarter and give back to the community that started it all. (you could even argue that you put the 5% towards your own next project which will again be on kickstarter and thus see it as a promise to put some profit towards your next project)

EDIT: other people already caught the "It's not about paying donor money into other projects" point, edited out my response so as not to dogpile.

They are more than likely aware. However, the project is already over, and they have no incentive to add it in in order to help generate more interest in their project. However, I do support the project and it'll be awesome if DF did decide to share 5% profit with the rest of the Kickstarter community (Of their choosing, of course)...

One of my main reasons for backing DFA was independance. To give some game developers out there a chance, to get away from the publishers. I'm sure this is the only way to get back to old days and get really cool new products.

"Kicking it forward" is the next step to get our independance back and reach this goal. So fucking yes - support it baby.

i think its a great well-intentioned idea, but proposes more confusion than its worth at this point.

Don't use the profits to fund other people's games: Use them to make a sequel to DFA.

Of course, that's assuming that the game actually does generate profits.

Don't use the profits to fund other people's games: Use them to make a sequel to DFA.

Of course, that's assuming that the game actually does generate profits.

Using it to fund a sequel to DFA is a smart move in my opinion, but personally I would be more interested in seeing the profits from DFA go to funding a sequel to Psychonauts. This way, the profits stay within Double Fine projects (as opposed to Kicking It Forward!), and since a Psychonauts sequel needs significant funding to make a proper 3D story-driven action/adventure/platformer/circus-simulator, The profits from DFA, together with a Kickstarter project for the Psychonauts sequel and the proper investments by Notch and Steven Dengler (Dracogen), could go towards making a full-length, full-featured sequel worthy of the Psychonauts name.

If you carefully read, Brian Fargo talks about NET Profit.

I wish the Kicking It Forward idea, though great, would be broader.

What I mean is that it aims at funding other Kickstarter projects, but if you're not a legal entity in the USA, you can't start a Kickstarter project. Which doesn't seem right if you consider that your own Kickstarter project along with your after release sales are not exclusively funded by USA citizens.

Maybe this idea needs to be followed up with some effort to open up Kickstarter to the developers in the rest of the world if you're taliking about actually empowering the community of developers and gamers?

This is something I've been thinking about ever since B. Fargo made that statement using terms like "into the community of developers to fund their dreams", "both gamers and developers have so much more strength than they realize" and "the development community sticks together".

Apologies for any annoyance my point may cause.

EDIT: I second, the DF project is not listed on the Kicking It Forward list.

Beyond games though if this goes well it could send a strong political message, one that perhaps is desperately needed now. Take, for instance, education as it's broadly seen in the U.S. and taxes. In their efforts to avoid increasing what's taken out of their accounts to pay for stuff they themselves may never use people forget about the bigger picture that a better education can bring about. They don't see how a 5 percent increase in their normal taxes and a class of students three of four states away can one day, say, create a cheap and safe vehicle alternative to gasoline/electric/natural gas fueled cars or begin the next Harlem Renaissance. All they see is the immediate increase in taxes, no matter how small. Projects like kickitforward give me hope that the same kind of "we're all contributing a little to make the whole community benefit a lot" sentiment may one day influence taxation and stuff beyond just game development.

makes no difference to me. As long as the game I paid for comes out awesome in the end, they can do whatever they want with the money.

I think it would be cool to see DF be a part of this too, but since KiF came out AFTER the project was already done and funded, would they be allowed too? I know the money doesn't come from the Kickstarter funds, but if they are allowed to put on the KiF badge, does that mean Kickstarters done and funded two years ago can retroactively become a part of KiF? Where is the line drawn?

I don't see this happening to be honest. It'd be more reasonable for projects in the future, but the backers of this project had no promise of intent of using profits towards funding other projects. If you pledge on Wasteland 2, then you're also pledging 5% towards another project. All money for DFA should be for DFA.

no KIF pledges 5% of the PROFIT from the finished game and not from the KS pot.. none of your money goes to the KIF pot!

I just think of all that Double Fine have done already. Such as making a project such as Wasteland 2 possible, raising the profile of Kickstarter in general and having a noticeable effect on the whole crowd-funding scene. Kick it Forward itself probably wouldn't even exist without Double Fine's help - whether they intended it that way or not.

Then I think of all the trouble they've been through in the past. Nearly having to close, nearly having to lay people off, and so on. And I can't help but be sympathetic if they decide 'yaknow what, I think we've done enough - can we hold onto our profits, please?' Certainly I'd rather see that 5% go towards new Double Fine games rather than other projects that may well be cool, but I'm not sure I care about.

I love you SG, and I want to have your babies.*

*for the purposes of this remark I must point out that we are both male.

Nih.*

*as in "the knights who say..."

Edit: I was trying to put this above the copycat thread, but then SOMEONE with fewer philosophy degrees than me RUINED IT.

You realize that your Quixotic quest to eliminate duplicate threads by linking to the original threads in them is merely keeping them in circulation, right?

You realize that your Quixotic quest to eliminate duplicate threads by linking to the original threads in them is merely keeping them in circulation, right?

Negative.* It doesn't bump posts for people to read them.

*Bold text here represents my finest Optimus Prime voice.

Edit: Oh wait, now I understand. Sure it does, but only briefly! I don't think that makes me any less of an Autobot.

Sign in to follow this