Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MichaelM

Design: More of a Cartoon or somewhat serious?

Why so Serius?

Sorry.

Yeah I think it's premature to pick an art style before a setting and tone, one informs the other, STILL, I am in the pro-2D camp and have plenty of faith in the talent and aloof imagination of DF's art team. They clearly have some real zany brains on staff ready to unleash.

I'd like to know the story or at least the setting before I chose a visual style, but for arguments sake if we decided to use the 'Devil Fish Academy' idea then goofy, cartoony and 3D all the way.

Maybe there wasn't enough space in the subject line or OP has a dodgy keyboard.

As long as the art style is appropriate for the subject matter, it's fine either way. I absolutely adored both Day of the Tentacle and The Longest Journey which have completely different styles

I personally love the cartoon style in DOTT, but just the style itself wasn't what made it so great for me, but the creativity and care that was put into every single character, background and animation. Take Toonstruck for example, which has a similar style but was executed in a not-so-great manner in my oppinion (even though I mildly enjoyed that game).

Visually speaking, realistic games i general just seem more "boring" to me, and I'm not sure I would have enjoyed Monkey Island 1 and 2 as much, had the whole game looked like in the cutscenes rather than having the more cartoony pixelized characters. I really loathe what they did in the Special Editions, though, not only because the new art wasn't as tasteful as Purcell's originals, but I guess the change between the kind-of-cartoony sprites and realistic closeups worked as a good joke in itself!

And then again, there's also a middle ground as we could see in Full Throttle, which is also one of my old favorites. While less kid-friendly, it still retained some fluid and dynamic animations akin to those you could see in Sam & Max Hit the Road.

In any case, as long as the chosen art style is handled with as much care and creativity as in Lucasarts' classic adventures, I'm sure it will make for a pleasant sight.

I'm fine either way, whatever fits the game best.

Heck, I'm fine with a text-adventure! Throw me a parser and lock the door.

That counts as "serious" I guess.

The style should fit the feel and environment of the game.

This is a subject better shelved until we have a better idea of what the "theme" of the game is.

I don't mind it being cartooney, most Double Fine games are, but I don't want that to mean it devolves into a game that's "Just Funny" or "Just random". Grim Fandango is funny and cartooney but at the same time the plot makes you care and is intense, same with Brutal Legend (I know it's not an adventure game but bleugh), Brutal Legend is funny as poop but some of it can be heavy and emotional. Basically I don't mind it being cartooney and funny, but just like Doubles Fine's other games I want to care about the plot and characters, not just the humor.

I agree that it has to fit the theme of the game, ultimately, but would prefer a cartoon style game like MI/Indiana Jones or DOTT.

If the theme of the game is going to be wacky then you can go all the way towards something like toonstruck, now that is cartoony!

114006-toonstruck-dos-screenshot-cutopia-s-town-centers.png

On the other end if we are getting a more serious game then I prefer something like Broken Sword or perhaps Runaway.

But for me the art comes after the theme of the game.

My favorite would be old school comic style, much like DOTT, Monkey Island II or Sam&Max; hit the road. Especially i would like to see a flat 2D-design, no 3D Render-Stuff that feels like second life or an RPG. I opt for an old school point&click; adventure that gets me with the clever absurdness of its puzzles, intelligent jokes and gentle sarkasm. I guess the most important thing for me would be that it is all well balanced (Graphic, style, characters, puzzles, music, GUI), wichever style double fine will chose in the end. It has to feel "right" as a complete package to be as legendary and fun as the old adventures.

I trust double fine completely to capture that spirit, whatever graphic style they will go with for this one.

The art style should fit the mood of the game

cartoony -- funny

realistic -- serious

Maybe there wasn't enough space in the subject line or OP has a dodgy keyboard.

Or he is german and english issent his first language. :-)

Well, the thing is that the game will probably be funny AND serious. If you look at their previous work, something like psychonauts had a guy with broccoli for hair, but also had a more serious storyline underneath.

Also, while DF should definitely put off this decision until they have a theme or direction, I think I'd prefer the middle ground: strong cartooney influences but not "wacky" like the looney tunes for example.

I'm with the other people who say that it depends entirely on the theme of the game. It would be inappropriate to make something like Modern Warfare 3 in a funny looking cartoon style just as it would be to make something like Day of the Tentacle look like Blade Runner.

I want an artistic style that'll fit the feel and narrative of the game. For example, a realistic art style might fit a silly game if it's based on satire.

I would just like something stylized. You can't really pigeonhole Grim Fandango as cartoony or realistic -- it has a feel all its own. Something like that. Look at the wild variation throughout Tim's career -- Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim, Brutal Legend, Stacking... each game has its own distinct feel. Follow a theme or culture and run with it. That's what Double Fine does best, and what makes their games so interesting and exciting.

I'd very much prefer a cartoonty style. Though there are different kinds of ways to handle that style. It can be simply there, or it can be used to apply cartoon physics to things. I like cartoon physics when used right. But the setting and tone of the game should be what decides the art style. So if the game didn't have the right slot for a cartoon style peg, that'd be cool too.

I love the detailed art of the MI remakes (Not so much the MI1 Guybrush, but we all know those problems). But I also like the more "wacky" style of Psychonauts and DOTT. Then again.. The slightly more gritty style of Grim was good too.

I guess I'm happy with anything. Double Fine has some talented artists, sure they'll do it justice. Besides, at this point we don't know ANYTHING about the game, so we can't really pick an artstyle out. (For example dark, gritty and moody for a black comedy or noir adventure)

Well, I think the in house artist style looks great and is a good idea of how the game could pan out.

Ideally we will have a totally 2d hand crafted game like old Lucasarts adventure games. One game they did that is totally serious is The Dig.

Please check the art style of that game because I think it would be fitting for a more serious game.

If the goal of the game is to be funny, well... let's got the DOTT route please! :)

I trust Double Fine in terms of art direction and crafting a visually distinctive universe. The less they listen to anyone else on that matter, the better.

This.

Do you hear that, Double Fine? I opened my wallet to get a game from you, not a forum full of random people. (This goes for all the aspects of the game, not just the art, btw.) I suppose it's nice that you want to listen to us here, just don't lose track of the fact that it's your game. It'll be great to see what you come up with.

Anyone having a problem with that can go and make their own game. The tools are out there for anyone to use.

(That said, I find the "cartoony vs serious" thing strange. Why can't realistic be funny - the real world certainly is - or vice versa? Often the best art is a bit of both. Funny and serious, I mean.)

Style will depend entirely on the tone the game is going for. DF has always had a pretty impeccable style as far as I'm concerned. Whatever way they choose to take it, I'm sure it'll be rad.

Sign in to follow this