Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZXCallum

How involved do you want to be with the development?

How involved do you want to be with the development?  

661 members have voted

1. 1. How involved do you want to be with the development?

• This is a unique opportunity; I want the full interactive sausage factory.
    • As long as the puzzles aren't spoiled...
    • As long as the storyline isn't revealed...
    • I want to know the process but I'm not concerned about having input.
    • I want to be like a virgin, touched for the very first time.

I am no game designer. I am willing to help for Beta purposes or giving feedback. Also I love to have some background infos through these videos. But thats basicly it.

I basically want to know and see the whole process pan out, but I'm not all that concerned about my personal input being used because, well, I know about as much about designing a game as I know how to repair shoes. Not a whole lot.

Still, seeing story assets and puzzle elements before the game is released won't bother me at all, I'm really just very interested in seeing the whole process pan out.

I'll give feedback when it's asked for, but don't care much for trying to tell them what to do. DF are a really imaginative bunch, like bananas, but without the brown mushy bits.

"As long as the storyline/puzzles isn’t/aren't revealed" says the mind.

The heart knows I'll look at everything anyway.

But I'm pretty sure we'll mostly be just thrown a lot of concept art / sound, and asked for opinions.

I am really looking forward to the game itself though, so spoiled I don't want to be (Trim the sails and roam the sea!).

I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea if only the Double Fine staff could post new topics in this forum...

Else, anybody could start discussions on many topics that the actual devs aren't interested at the moment, thus derailing the attention from the topics that actually matter to them.

I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea if only the Double Fine staff could post new topics in this forum...

Else, anybody could start discussions on many topics that the actual devs aren't interested at the moment, thus derailing the attention from the topics that actually matter to them.

NA let them go wild as long they can. Somehow I get the feeling that people believe they can decide all for this game which will mostlikely not the case.

Also If doublefine want to have feedback on certain aspects they will create stick threads.

Too many cooks spoil the broth…

But hopefully Backer input on this project will be more like a food taster that gets to witness the cooking process and takes the occasional spoonful of still-boiling broth to taste and give his/her opinion.

Particularly since the average Backer doesn’t know anything about cooking.

Culinary analogies aside, personally I’m yet unsure of how involved I want to be for two reasons.

One is that this is a unique chance to directly influence game design or at least witness it from the very beginning, so it can be a very educational process. On the other hand if this was the norm it is not something I’d care for, I rather let artists to their work and not meddle or even observe. So I feel kind of torn, I will probably make my mind as the development moves along.

Then there’s the second reason.

Witnessing the game being made will definitely affect the experience I will have playing it at the end. Story spoilers are one thing, I don’t anticipate this game to end up with some serious plot twists, revelations or drama, is supposed to be a silly comedy sort of thing. I’m mostly worried about the puzzles, knowing the solution or the basic design behind a puzzle can take the fun out of an adventure game.

But besides all that I have certain fundamental expectations (2D over 3D, difficulty, length etc) from this game and I’d like to give input on that if asked regardless on how involved I’d like to stay down the road.

I will omit voting on the poll and just wait and see how things move along.

They don't have to listen to us. But sometimes a fresh set of eyes, especially those of adventure game fans like us, can be a positive thing. I'm not saying we should be able to force the project in any particular direction, but rather to dispense tips, ideas and smaller concepts to them. It's the connection to the audience that makes this particular project so special, and it gives quite a bit of unique insight into the world of game creation. Creative feedback, checking with your target audience and having an open dialogue with the community are cornerstones of something like this. I'm really excited about what's to come, that's for sure.

I personally want to leave most of the concepts regarding artistic style and narrative to Double Fine. The Mass Effect 3 thing is sort of an example of how, while I may not like the way a narrative ends (or begins, or continues), I prefer to leave that creative power in the hands of the creators themselves.

Now, when it comes to things about what kind of cameos or puzzles I might like to see, generally speaking, I don't mind giving my own thoughts. I just want to make sure that I a) leave the heavy lifting to the guys who obviously know what they are doing (Double Fine, obviously), and that b) I don't feel entitled to seeing the things that I suggest in the finished product.

I'm curious, as a software dev (game-unrelated), about how things happen, what are the hesitations leading to a final decision. I have a growing need to know:

Can someone enjoy the game he constructed/saw being constructed ?

With the increase of visibility of game-of-a-man (or of a small team) which prove how enjoyable they are to experience as a finished product, I want to know (more, to experience as closely as possible) if their authors enjoy them as much as the audience. I want to know if the nice DF team is able to enjoy DOTT, MI or Grim as much as the next guy.

I don't mind ending up not liking the game as much as I would otherwise have. I take DF Adventure as a unique opportunity to peek over game dev shoulder and stare at what he's typing, what he undoes, rewrites, hesitates on. Mojam humble-bundle style, but with more screencasts and less camera-at-unoccupied-chair.

Finally, I do not expect my (me, mine) hypothetical input to reach the final product, and I believe an enjoyable game does not spontaneously emerges from a blob of 90k point of views.

I vote for I want to know the process but I’m not concerned about having input., with both hands.

Personally I trust the DF team to make an amazing game and I hope they ignore every idea that's posted on here.

Does anyone remember Snakes on a Plane? The phrase too many cooks spoil the broth comes to mind.

I'm not a professional, my opinion isn't overly worth while or different from any one elses. I'd rather Double Fine just do what they'd want.. So far they've yet to make a bad game.

I would love to be knee deep in the development process, and how the game mechanics will work. However, spoiling the story and puzzles for myself would be a terrible thing.

I'm not a professional, my opinion isn't overly worth while or different from any one elses. I'd rather Double Fine just do what they'd want.. So far they've yet to make a bad game.

A lot of people are saying something similar to this. While it makes sense that people might not consider their opinion to be well-informed, sometimes not knowing about the mechanics of something can be an advantage. It allows you to think in a way that is unhindered by preconceptions.

This is actually a really tough question for me. On the one hand I got involved because I am interested in the innards of a game company like that and seeing as much as possible of how a game like this is made. Then on the other hand I don't want to see anything and I mean anything that gives away what the game is about or what it will be like. On one side I want to be able to feel like I've had a part of me in the game through feedback and polls and whatnot and on the other side I just want to get surprised by something completely new and unrelated that I will simply enjoy for what it is. In the end I will spend some time on the forums here and probably take part in some of the community feedback things that will influence the game but I need to avoid spoilers at any cost. Since this is unprecedented in gaming history it will be kind of hard. I'm already excited.

We're consumers, not game developers. Even if someone of all those thousands of backers happen to be a game developer it still doesn't mean that particular person can influence on the development. We have front row seats to the show. If we don't like a certain actor then that's tough.

Isn't that a question the DF Staff should ask?

I don't mind the spoilers, what i do mind is: 80k people all wanting to be part of one product. "Too many cooks spoil the broth." That's what they say and i would be a little worried if DF would include us in even the basic decision making, but the fact that we haven't heard much so far is a sign that we aren't, so i rest easy. :)

It is a huge risk to involve amateurs in a game development.

I just want to make a Japanese localization MOD for the game after they finish it (and after I finish the game).

I really hope they make the game ready for personal localization.

There are many gamers who is native to uncommon language.

Ah, but what you guys are forgetting is the old countersaying "Too many cooks can also make a whole lot of cookies, provided that the ovens are either huge or more numerous than the number of chocolate chips in a jumbo bag of chocolate chips. Also provided that the cooks have a lot of free time and don't have families to return to that want something other than chocolate chips (but, in reality, that's what all families really want)."

No, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I believe us backers should have a collective voice. I don't believe we should have independent voices that should be listened to, just collective. A poll would be a nice way to receive collective input from the backers. If we can somehow vote on the art style, theme, concept art, et cetera, that would be put as backers as both important to the final product and still letting DF show us the cards. This would allow us backers to have a voice, but we won't be directly designing the concept art.

Ordinarily (as a disclaimer, I'm saying "ordinarily" because I'm about to cast my preference AGAINST my ordinary state of being) I like to go into a new entertainment experience with as little info as possible, spoiler-free, no reviews -- because reviewers can't keep themselves from showing how nerdy they are by proving that they've played it -- anyway, you get the gist. I like to have as unspoiled a journey with it if it's at all possible, which makes the internet something of an enemy.

THIS TIME, being one that is not ordinary, I think that, if we're invited inside the sausage factory, then it's worth seeing as much as I can. I've been playing games since before Maniac Mansion, and I've always been intrigued and fascinated with how games are made. If we're invited to give feedback, and possibly contribute, then I'm happy to be on the other side of the equation, even if that's just as a semi-passive observer. I don't mind knowing things about the story, puzzles, and so forth, if I'm allowed to take a certain amount of ownership (however slight) on the project.

Anyway, if you don't want to find out things too soon, you could always avoid the documentary episodes until you've finished with the game, but I intend to take as much advantage of this unique opportunity as is allowed :)

Id be surprised if the backer's contribution is anything more than DF showing 3 options they are thinking of going with and the backers voting on which they want to see the most.

I only want to be as involved as Double Fine is asking.

Meaning, I'd be fine with (and maybe prefer) if Double Fine just made all the decisions themselves. BUT if they're asking other people, I want my voice included as well.

I feel like we should by all means be free to speak our minds, however, we also have to understand how overwhelming like 90k voices shouting at them for this or that can be. I work as an artist at a small game studio and I can tell you that I've been in positions where my art lead, 3d lead, and marketing dept art all giving me different messages on something I'm modeling, and it is both frustrating and discouraging. I think if they ask for input, we should obviously provide it, but I think that to ask anymore than that is kinda being unreasonable to the talented dudes at DF. After all, they do kinda know what they're doing as far as adventure games go.

I put my money down because I have full faith in Tim and the Double Fine gang, so an insight into the process is what I'd be happy with!

From my own personal perspective, I want to have a real window into the development process that'll be interesting to follow, but I do not want backers such as myself to have some kind of veto power or anything like that over the development of the game. Obviously us backers expect an "adventure game," and I think its fair to hold you guys to that very broad concept. If the game you guys end up putting out is a Call of Duty or Halo style FPS, I think people will be rightly and fairly confused as to what our money went toward.

As I see it, my backing is first and foremost an expression of faith in Double Fine's skills and talents. It is not me wanting to buy my way into the video game development process. It is me saying "I think Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and everyone else at Double Fine are awesome and have made fantastic games in the past, and I want them to continue to do so." It is not me saying "this game needs to have X, Y and Z, OR ELSE, and if it does A, B, or C then it is not what I wanted!!!" The ONLY limitation on this is that I want a fun and (hopefully) hilarious adventure style game that isn't SOLELY twitch based action gameplay.

So my message to everyone at Double Fine is this:

If you want to make it a first person game, do it.

If you want to make it a 2d or a 3d game, do it.

If you want to make it have action elements to change up the pace at times, do it!

Point and click? I don't care, that'd be cool. Controller based? Whatever dudes, if you think that works best, I'm down. Just make it fun and funny.

Take risks! Do things we won't expect! Move the genre forward in any way you think is fit! My hope is that there will be very few limitations on your options, and that the backers won't simply become the same impediment to creativity that large publishers can be.

We trust you all to not let us down. And even if you do, and the game when its done is the biggest bust ever, I'll still be glad that I was along for the ride to see what happened.

I'm currently a film major at school, but recently I've been looking into video game design. This was such an awesomely timed project for me to get involved with and I thank Tim Shafer for the opportunity to be part of something like this as it'll give me invaluable insight to the business and possibly my future career!

I don't think most people realize just how much tedious work goes into these games. Sure, there is the cool puzzle designing stuff, but playtesting is nowhere near as much fun as those game school commercials like to make you think. The sheer amount of concept work that goes in before anything even moves on a screen can be overwhelming. And if the average person ever even heard the term "asset tracking" they would run away screaming.

I guess I'm a bit of a sadist then 'cause I still loves me some sausage! Personally I'd like to help out until DF sends me a polite PM asking me to stop! ;)

I want to have an inside look on the game development. I don't want them to withhold any cool stuff, it should be a backer's own responsibility to stay away from spoilers if s/he wants to avoid them.

Regarding actual involvement - the least reason why I decided to back this project, is to control it. I trust double fine's vision. I understand people wanting more say than I do, but I think giving ~90,000 people the reigns won't work. Isn't there a saying about this? Something about camels being horses designed by a committee? If anything, it should be like "Hey guys, we were thinking about a couple of options for this cool feature, what do you think?" with of course double fine being able to veto it at any time, if they choose to.

Sign in to follow this