Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vagrant Gamer

Aimless Story Brainstorming and Speculation Thread

There seem to be a few threads about style going on, and yet the thing you would draw style from has yet to be discussed. I am wondering what kinds of themes do you want to see in the game? Romance? Comedy? Steam punk basket weaving? For fun, let's discuss random plot elements we think would be cool in a game.

So, what kind of story do you want to see??

I would be more than thrilled if they introduced some sort of Film Noir element to the game.

That worked *SO* well in Grim Fandango that I would love to see it again.

I think a really cool story would be about a young man embroiled in a spy game that he's isn't aware of. And people are aware of what's going on, but the young man is completely oblivious. It would make for at the very least an interesting comedy.

As we have found a lot of references to other games (Sam & Max) in master pieces like Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island 2, I think that the best story would include characters from all them! Including Herman Toothroot or Stan from Monkey Island, the suicidal guy and the hamster from DOTT, etc.

The plot could be something about a guy who has to enter Tim Schafer's mind as in "The Cell" movie, from Jennifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn, to solve a mistery.

A guy entering Tim Schafer's mind going through all these classic adventures to complete his mission would be great!

There has to be reference to the Old LA Games like the stump Joke or a Joke that at the Start of the Game a Code like in MI 1. I hope that LA has no rights on such Thing

Something Double Fine hasn't done much is space but at the same time, having done the whole Mass Effect trilogy lately... I'm kind of sick of the space setting. I would love a spiritual successor to Grim Fandango yet I don't think that is what they're aiming for since there is more creativity to be had with this project...

I would really like to see them make a character who just sits on a chair exhausted after a party sleeping and snoring with that little party horn, just like Tim did in the last video update.

I think something lighthearted and comedic would probly serve a project like this really well, but I'd be just as interested in something more towards the Grim Fandango end of the spectrum. Either way the humor's gonna shine through like it always does.

That said, I think it'd be interesting if they went for a main character type that hasn't really been represented in adventure games, which is kind of what they did for Full Throttle. Guybrush and Manny Calavera are great, but I'd really rather meet somebody new than somebody who draws too much from established personalities. Playing as somebody who isn't necessarily a good person might be an interesting direction. Not that Guybrush and Ben Throttle are necessarily "good people", but somebody who might be kind of sleazy, underhanded, weasley, dastardly, and traitorous. Or, I dunno, there are a MILLION different kinds of characters you can make, but my point is that they ought to venture into unexplored territory as far as a protagonist goes.

Topics like this make me think that Double Fine is just using us as an elaborate test of the Infinite Monkey Theorem.

I want it to start in a castle, and end in a church.

THIS!!!

Something not done enough in adventure games...a western....or perhaps a spy story. I wouldn't mind Schafer's take on the horror genre. Anything would be great. I'd love a space age cosmic fantasy.

Maybe a game that involves all religions... The main character could find out that they are all true in a way and he/she just has to find out how to access the "worlds" that the gods of these religions live in. This could get us into some deep philosophical and theological stories and puzzles.

Read Dying Earth, by Jack Vance, not too long ago. I remember thinking Cugel would make a perfect adventure game character, though I don't know if DF wants to deal with licensing anything.

I would also love to see something like "Planetfall" where you stranded on a planet or a spaceship and have to figure a way to escape.

I would like to see a game about Two Dairy farmers going out on an adventure to discover who they truly are. Along the way they would meet several interesting people such as rock stars and astronauts. However on there journey they are met by a strange Milk man who requires there aid to take on the big evil milk conglomerate known only as D.A.I.R.Y. In these two Dairy farmers journey they make the discovery that life is more then just milk and cows but also see that all things just as spilled milk are not worth getting there friendship as Farmers ruined over.

I hope that made as little seance as possible :D

It would be awesome to have an adventure game with dating sim elements! It would totally be awesome to see that happen since I think it would be totally different. But I think I would be the only one who would want or be excited about something like that. It is a quite far out there idea.

It would be awesome to have an adventure game with dating sim elements!

Not to be mean, but i would like the opposite of this.

Something involving cyberspace would be awesome. And I don't mean matrix, I mean more 80's Tron/Neuromancer cyberspace. Only with more facebook.

Hell, your main character is a rouge social network profile, out to prove that's he's a real person and save all his other social profile friends.

I could see sci-fi, but not a traditional space opera, maybe more cyberpunk, brain swapping, alternate history, or jump the bandwagon completely and do steam punk

I've got 2 suggestions about the game world:

1) Some sort of magical/wizard world with modern elements and Tim's characteristic touch of comedy (could end up somewhat similar to Discworld 2)

2) Seeminly ordinary everyday world filled with urban legends and paradoxes that lurk behind every corner, a-la Freaky Stories or Unknown Armies. I.e. gators in the sewers, portals to other worlds hidden behind the supermarket shelves, etc.

I've got 2 suggestions about the game world:

2) Seeminly ordinary everyday world filled with urban legends and paradoxes that lurk behind every corner, a-la Freaky Stories or Unknown Armies. I.e. gators in the sewers, portals to other worlds hidden behind the supermarket shelves, etc.

This fits well with the idea of setting it in a furniture store.

This might not be the best place to bring it up but I really hope we don't get any of the following cliches in the game:

- Food or drink that is really gross or cheaply made that the main character refuses to consume.

- Store that has no items for sale/refuses to do business with you.

- Characters that refuse to believe you're on a quest of any importance and think you're making things up.

- A really sarcastic love interest.

These things seem to completely dominate point and click games, and a lot of it seems to be influence from Monkey Island and fondness for a peculiar type of humor where nothing ever goes right for the main character, and I'm really sick of seeing them. I'm confident Tim and Ron can write excellent characters and jokes but I just hope we don't see these cliches turn up even as a nod to days gone by.

Sign in to follow this