Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nprinos

*** The REAL Monkey Island 3 ***

Do you want the DF game to be the REAL Monkey Island 3, as originally envisioned by Ron Gilbert?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the DF game to be the REAL Monkey Island 3, as originally envisioned by Ron Gilbert?

• Yes
    • No

I'd love to see Ron make another Monkey Island game, but DFA needs to be something new... and Tim confirmed that it will be, anyway.

I am surprised people are discussing this. I mean, it's certainly understandable to want more Monkey Island (and I'd love to see Ron do more with that universe, too), but our fearless and handsome leader Mr. Schafer already stated that this would be a brand new adventure.

More Monkey Island would be great, but I think what we're getting has the potential to be even better - a brand new adventure from the mind that brought us Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and more. I can't wait to see what Tim comes up with, and I am certain we'll all fall in love with the universe he dreams up, just as we did with Monkey Island all those years ago.

Curse of Monkey Island was my favorite game in the series. I was 9 when I got it, and the music, atmosphere, voice acting, and art were all beautiful. I understand the people who played Ron Gilbert's first two games first are probably in it for the nostalgia and feel like I am, so it's probably really just where you entered into the series.

I also thought Tales of Monkey Island was a damn fine game too, and it explored some territories Monkey Island never did before. The only blasphemy was that you never actually went to Monkey Island.

I loved curse as well, but it was definitely a departure from the previous two games and only vaguely referenced the ending of MI2 rather than explaining it. The ending of MI2 suggests that there is another layer to the whole thing to be explained and explored, and ever since my first playthrough of that game I've longed to see it picked up in another monkey game. I'd love to see Ron tackle it again at some point, but not instead of unique IP for the DFA.

Of course it´d be swell to see what Ron has really wanted to make but I think MI 3 is good as it is!

I would rather see something new. Also, is this where I sheepishly admit I really like Curse of Monkey Island? There is a distinct change in the style of humour but I really enjoyed it.

God damn, that was a pretty game. I'm going to be even more sacrilegious and say Escape will always have a special place in my heart, seeing as it was the first MI game I ever played.

But no.2 was the best =)

i'm perfectly fine with how cmi went down even if it wasn't ron gilbert's vision. love that game. emi, however, you can be as vicious as you like with it. horrible game.

Would I love to see (or at least hear the original ideas of) the "real" Monkey Island 3 at some point, even though I loved CMI? Absolutely.

Do I want DFA to be it? No way. This has to be original.

Could be interesting, but I think Curse is still an excellent sequel and doesn't deserve to be replaced by the "real" thing. If they were going to put in some sort of 2.5 game, that might be interesting, but as for this project, I think it definitely needs to be a new IP.

agree

This is an easy one.

May be an "easy one" but not the way you think ;)

I like MI3 :)

No, MI3 is brilliant. Give me monkey island 5 instead (though this project should be something else entirely).

This is an easy one.

May be an "easy one" but not the way you think ;)

I like MI3 :)

Hehe, fair enough. Well, me and the rest 28% apparently.

MI3 is my least favourite of the MI games, and I still say No. The series is great as it is and I want this to be something new and fresh. HOWEVER, I would like to see a more realistic-yet-stylized art-design like MI1 and MI2 had.

Sign in to follow this