Sign in to follow this  
True Valhalla

Why Did You Donate?

I donated because A. I love the games this company has made, and B. I'm studying game art and design at college and since supporting the project meant I could study the game development process from beginning to end... well, I really couldn't waste this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I donated out my love for adventure games and my faith in Tim Schafer to make a game that I'll enjoy. The fact that I'll get to see a game produced from start to finish is just the cherry on top.

I just can't say no to Tim's charming face. That and he has incriminating photos of me...

1) Like many others I miss the 90s-style games too. Call it a false sense of nostalgia but it is what it is.

2) Really hope DF's new game incorporates the more suspenseful elements of classic games like Pitfall. :)

I'd never have been able to live with the regret of not getting involved. I think everyone knows what has been done here is very special, it's something the games industry has never seen before. The fear of trying new things is crippling innovation at the height of the market, and this is the most daring act of defiance against that trend that I can imagine. So many gamers lament that "games are all the same these days" and then go out and buy the blockbusters and let anything a little less mainstream rot in a bargain bin. Time for us all to put our money where are mouths are!

There is no better team or company to champion a movement like this either, Double Fine were born for this.

Besides, if Double Fine had released this game without all this fan fare and such, I'd probably have bought it. If I have to buy it in order for it to exist in order for me to buy it later, then er. Excuse me, I have a sudden urge to go watch Back to the Future.

I want something similar to the fantastic experiences I had with Day of the Tentacle, and Psychonauts.

As a film maker, I want to fund a proper documentary about the process. I want there to be a professionally produced record so other indie developers, small publishers, big blind asshat publishers, other gamers who weren't convinced and very selfishly just myself can see the work, thought, blood, tears, and difficult choices in the development process.

I want not to only buy an end product, but influence in a practical way and be given access to see the efforts.

I donated for 3 main reasons:

1. The genies of previous DF games, like Psychonauts. Psychonauts is the best platform game I have EVER played. Period. And I grew up playing a ton of platformers. Psychonauts is the game that introduced me to Double Fine.

2. Anything made by Tim Schafer is guaranteed to be great. The Monkey Island series is amazing, and as this is going to be a point-and-click, just as Monkey Island was, I have no doubt it will be just as good.

3. I'm currently majoring in Game Design in college, so the opportunity to take part in something like this was a chance I just could not miss.

Because point-and-click adventure games aren't dead!

If any of you guys from Doublefine actually read this, just wanna say thanks for keeping the dream alive.

I grew up with adventure games. Zork, King's, Police and Space Quest, Monkey Island. Those are the games I love and still play to this day. Also Eve Online now-a-days but that plays itself more often then not. Would have been willing to throw out a lot more for a brand new adventure if $30 wasn't such a big deal atm. Still worth it and can't wait to see what I paid for. Hopefully pointing and clicking, lots of pointing and clicking.

I like quite a few adventure games out there, but Schafer/Gilbert's trademark humor is what drew me in. Any chance to see that happen again would be exciting.

I wanted a poster!

In all serious, I've been really impressed by Double Fine, and if they want to tackle a pure point-and-click in 2012 I want to be the first to support it. It helps that I got started playing text adventure games on an Apple IIe, and I was tearing up a bit at the Art of Video Games Exhibit at the American Art Gallery yesterday, where you can play Secret of Monkey Island and Myst in the context of their often overlooked artistic merit.

1)Adventure Game

2)Adventure Game

3)ADVENTURE GAME!!!!!!

4)Curiosity about the process of making a game ()

5)The oportinity to have a game untainted by the publisher

6)Tim Shaffer told me to

7)Its like a pre-pre-pre-purchase (I would have paid for the game as soon as they would shut up and take my money)

8)The rare opportinity to shout to the developers to make the changes I want

9)Did I mention it was an adventure game?

Couple of reasons: To support developers directly and to watch the process unfold

I don't consider myself a big adventure player anymore. I remember playing Day of the Tentacle for hours and hours and never getting anywhere. Some of the old Zork (return and nemesis) games I loved but I've never been very good at them. Machinarium was a recent adventure game I liked and managed to get through but it had a hint system that I used a few times. I suspect I don't really have the patience or intelligence for adventure games, I actually played the HD version of monkey island recently - which was rather entertaining until I got to a game breaking bug which put me off. I guess I didn't put my money down to get a great game later this year, I'm more after the videos and testing the whole kickstarter initiative. For that reason I probably won't be a good test subject for the beta tests apart from bug checks.

Some of the videos they have made already were quite entertaining, so getting to see a few more of those is worth the price alone for me. If I get an adventure game at the end that I can play through, well that is a bonus.

My thoughts:

"A new P&C adventure game, by doublefine? hm, sure why not, i like this company and want them to do their best :D"

For the chicks. I got money to burn and chicks dig burnt money so I kickstarted a game but I'm still single, my plan needs work.

Truthfully I treated it as a glorified pre-order in my case.

After playing some stuff from Telltale Games rekindled an interest in the genre, so I decided I'd give this a go. I was thinking of doing a fair bit more than just 15 bucks early on, but then I saw how quickly the fundraiser gained traction. So, glorified pre-order.

I donated because, I want more Linux games...

and I want to encourage more massive crowfunding for software in the future.

Because, if I didn't support independent games (free of big budget producers) it would be hypocritical of me at best; akin to shooting my own career in the foot at worst. I've got a professional interest in the internal workings of the games industry in any case.

Also, the pitch video made me laugh. :D

Tim Schafer and Double Fine on an 'Old school adventure' - yes please! No further justification required.

I'm not even a fan of adventure games... or at least that's what I tell myself even as I keep buying and playing the ones considered classics. Regardless, Tim Schafer is a funny man and Double Fine is a funny company and they therefore deserve a few dollars of my precious, precious monthly budget. Not eating for a few days will do me good, anyway.

Mostly because I liked the idea of a crowd funded game and because I wanted to be able to follow the development of the game.

But of course I have played some adventure games and they can be pretty entertaining. :P

I played quite some awesome adventure games back in the day and i enjoy Telltale adventures.

DF proved multiple times that they can make very original games and in these days of space marine shooters and generic fantasy games, i really want to play something unique.

Also the fact that we can actually give our input is going to be an interesting experiment, even if everyone probably has a different opinion and you can't please them all:-)

The fact that i'll probably can play it on my Android phone was also a plus.

I wish they'd implement a save transfer system so i can switch between platforms and keep my progress

1. It's a new adventure game, and I love adventure games

2. Tim Schafer

3. It's Double Fine, and Psychonauts was great (and Stacking is, too, but I only got that recently, when it was released on Steam)

4. The behind the scenes documentary seems really interesting

5. It's great to be part of the "happening", seeing the timer go down and funding go up, watching the livefeed &c.

6. It feels good to make cool niche games happen

So far I haven't been disappointed. Just the few videos about the project so far were worth the money :D

Also, hi everybody!

I just felt like throwing money at Double Fine. To be honest I haven't even played an adventure game before, this just seemed really interesting and I wanted to be involved!

Lotsa reasons. LucasArts were my favorites in the mid-90's, loved each and every adventure I played, from Monkey Island to Full Throttle.

But most of all; publishers today have crazy delusions about every game shipped reaching Call of Duty's level of sales, and dismiss everything else as "niche"-markets. So now, pretty much every genre except FPS, sports and Kinect-games are viewed as high-risk projects. This project was a great way to circumvent all that, so I was happy to chip in. The free download doesn't hurt either, but I'd rather pick up a retail print later on.

Hola, new here. Donated about $16 for the project~ Wanted to help prevent a Genre of gaming from dying out of commercial relevance. Really really looking forward to the final product and helping out if possible on the Backer forums!