Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
True Valhalla

Why Did You Donate?

- at first I was reluctant, because it seemed such a far-fetched thing, then the pledge was filled in less than 5 hours and I thought "okay they'll set, I don't have to pitch in"

- then I joined at the last minutes because I thought, if I don't I'll kick myself in the future for not backing this!

- I have played Full Throttle and Grim Fandango and enjoyed those, although some puzzles were just too zany for my little brain to wrap around (still got the original discs somewhere here...)

- I've also got Day of The Tentacle, unfortunately I've used the help manual to solve it, because I was more interested in how this whole thing played out rather than trudging around picking up clues for the riddles

- curiosity mostly what will happen next, not sure if the final product will appeal to me, but I'm very curious how this will come along

Edit:

- the pitch video was just great!

Just like many others have also said, I grew up on the old adventure games, Monkey Island, Space Quest, Zak McKraken, etc. I also want to see developers have the chance to make the games they want to make without publishers breathing down their necks and to break the control publishers have over the industry (I'm under no delusion that we'll achieve that of course), and I believe that Double Fine can make something worthwhile if given the chance. A return to the old adventure games of old seem like an appropriate choice for this kind of endeavour.

I donated because I've been waiting a long time for new adventure.

My first adventure I played on C64 "Zak Mc Kracken" since I love point and click adventure :)

I would like to play all the old adventure with a better graphic and without an emulator on current platforms. :)

I love the classic adventure games.. these new fangled stuff with the first person... and no story line... ruins it for me. i started going back and playing all my old games. i'm looking forward to this game coming out!

I donated because of Tim Schafer

I love his games and a point and click game will be a dream come true.

I'm a gamer at heart, love playing Stacking and saw this as a unique way to contribute to the making of a game. Tim is the Man. :exclaim:

I'm a fan of Schafer's work... and publishers in general have been spitting in my face over and over again.

I wanted to support a game that could be developed with no strings attached.

I've never played this genre of game before; I donated because I am interested in watching the documentary that is being made along side the game. Also, I'd like to show support for games on Linux.

I'm a huge fan of Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer and I've played most of their pont-and=click games as a tender little gamer.

I also really appreciated the approach of Double Fine, the whole concept of giving the backers inside perspective of the project, and of course tha fact to back an indie producer whose games I love. It's all about innovation in the gaming industry and I'm proud to be a part of it.

I donated because:

-I am a huge fan of Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones, Maniac Mansion

-I want to support more Indie games that I think will be fun

-I want to see more games available for Linux

I donated for Ron & Tim.

I grew up with Monkey Island and many Adventure Games (LucasArts & Sierra), play to a new 2D adventure game creating by them would be just amazing !

I wanted to help it.

I donated because I really see this as the next big thing in gaming. Games funded by fans without influence of big publishers is a dream come true. Also I want something besides the same old Call of Gears Modern Warfighter 7.

1) The market is saturated with games where the main objective is to repetitively kill robots/people/zombies

2) I was raised by Guybrush Threepwood

Good Adventures are one of the most interesting gametypes I have ever played. Many new games lack almost everything I like in games. They totally focus on outrunning the most expensive graphic cards, but they are not much challenging, they are not really funny and they get pretty borring after playing a few hours. By the way most of the games are totally the same, except of different layout and arrangement of items.

While there are some typical characteristics of adventures, a good adventure has a lot of suprises, challenges, jokes and a bizarre logic. I miss a good adventure for a long time and I think a real good adventure could revive the world of adventure games. And Tim Schaefer is one person I hope is able to make such an adventure. Please let this not be such a "how to make money by producing a bad copy with the name of a number one hit".

I missed playing adventure games growing up and was introduced to Monkey Island a few years back. Since then I've grabbed Psychonauts, Grim Fandango and gained a real appreciation for the genre.

I'm glad to help this kind of project. It symbolises not only the return of a great genre, but a change in the industry by removing publishers entirely.

Might as well make my first post here. Donated cause I like Double Fine and Tim Schafer always make interesting games. Seeing a bit behind the scenes of a game studio sounds like fun as well.

i donated because i love the company and i believe in what they do. also im sick of buying games that are completely uncreative and boring. cant wait

I donated because I longed for a classic Tim Schafer adventure game in this world of FPS games (yawn). I must have donated early, because it was only at about ten thousand and I really didn't think they were going to make their goal. It probs took off when I posted a link to my SIX HUNDRED or so FACEBOOK FRIENDS! You're welcome, DF!

I donated because I want to see the adventure game make a resurgence, and my past experience with Double Fine's products leads me to believe that they are more than capable of spearheading that. While not perfect, Double Fine games at least attempt original and innovative ideas, and are hilarious in a slightly demented way that makes me smile. As if that wasn't enough, I also get the opportunity to watch the game being made? That made it an obvious decision.

Because I think Double Fine is an awesome company, and the games they make don't often get the recognition and sales that they deserve. There was no way I wasn't going to help with the Kickstarter project.

Also, rewards. :)

Because I am in need of an old style adventure game, and I trust Tim and Double Fine after playing the old games Tim made and Psychonauts, Costume Quest and Stacking.

Because I think Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and the rest of the design team will do an amazing old school adventure game...

...and I will have an autographed poster by them!!!

I've been a fan of Tim Schafer and his games since Full Throttle.

I got into playing adventure games many many years ago, back in the early days of King's Quest, so it's a genre I really love.

I think it will be fascinating to see this project unfold, and given Tim and DF's track record, I am really excited!

It's most definitely not because I have sexual feelings towards Tim Schafer. No way that's why at all.

hehe, ..er... yeah! me either!

I donated because of all the great memories I had with Ron Gilbert's and Tim Schafer's games.

I love adventure games and I believe that, if someone can create a great adventure game, it's these two guys.

I donated because people told me to. And it is hard to not give your money to somebody like Tim Schafer after posting funny pictures and videos. >.>

1. I've been writing out scripts, diagrams, and ideas for new adventure games for the past 3 years. To see a major studio coming out with a new one (and with celebs like Ron and Tim) I had to put some money up to show that people are still interested in adventure gaming.

2. The development stuff. I want to see what goes on behind a games creation, how it's built, how the art is picked and converted, etc, then STEAL THOSE IDEAS and apply it to my own stuff. Haha.

3. It's a beautiful thing putting money directly into the devs pocket without some scumbag middleman publisher to muck things up.

I donated because once I saw it meet its goal within 24 hours, I knew this was going to be huge. I felt compelled to be apart of this in anyway possible. As Tim Schafer kept updating, I kept getting more and more interested and hyped. The process this is so far and will continue to be is an adventure in itself. Once Tim announced the additional shirt for the $100 reward, I upped my donation and became obsessed.

Sign in to follow this