Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dylan

Who else thinks it would be neat if they put a mini-game within the adventure game?

Im not entirely adverse to the possibility of sideshows, but I think they're not particularly important. I'd say create and complete the actual game first, then see where a mini-game could be introduced in a thematically appropriate way that doesn't intrude upon the core game. Things like the spitting contest are really puzzles, not mini-games. I recall thinking it was a mini-game in my youth when I first approached that puzzle.

I don't get why so many people think I am suggesting "required" mini-games. All I am asking about is something that is a fun distraction outside the regular game play mode. Something you can do on the side when your thinking about the solutions to puzzles or are playing the game through a second time.

I don't get why so many people think I am suggesting "required" mini-games. All I am asking about is something that is a fun distraction outside the regular game play mode. Something you can do on the side when your thinking about the solutions to puzzles or are playing the game through a second time.
why would you wnat to put it in in the first place? Just play some facebook or flashstuff while thinking about stuff if you need to.

I love the idea of mini-games designed so well, that they look like they are part of the game - such as the sword-fighting in Monkey Island games and the spitting contest. Tim Shaffer and Ron Gilbert have always been good about that.
I would not call them minig-games. These are normal puzzles.

Well, if these were mini games and played/ feld like normal puzzles, then I'd say that's the way mini games should be done.

I'll again side with Lissar, if they fit into the world and characters of the game, no problem, but if they're put in the game as a distraction, even a fun one, no thanks.

Which brings me to this:

My problem with adventure games has always been that they are a tad too repetitive in a way. I mean I want to immerse in it, but people get easily bored these days. Some small, slow, puzzle-like mini games could be great.

The fact that people get easily bored is not adventure games' fault, I think it has to do with a change in culture and mentality; everything is in fast mode which is the complete oposite of what adventure games represent.

haha, to this day I still haven't beaten Monkey Island 2 due to that darned spitting contest. I just can't do it!

Well, if you're in the mood to return there (and you should really finish Monkey Island 2).

For the spitting contest you need to stack the odds on your favor (also known as cheat), so here are some tips:

- Spit only when the winds are favorable

- Try to distract everyone, so that you can "rearange" the flag poles

- Thicken your spit with some powerful drink beforehand

And voilá!

Ah yes, the so frustrating at first spitting contest. I dare anyone say he won it without the cheats.

One thing I remember fondly from Grim Fandango is making up poems in the Blue Casket while stuck in Rubacava. I'd be happy to see things like that added to the new game. But most modern examples of mini-games aren't fun for me (for example, the hacker puzzles in the Bioshock games. Boring. FPS's are boring anyway, though).

I wouldn't mind some kind of mini-game, as long as it's not going to detract from the development of the game itself. Though as some have said, in an adventure game context I'd prefer if it was integrated, perhaps more of an optional side quest than a game. I'd prefer to have well designed puzzles, as Tim & Ron were discussing in their pre-game video it helps if you can have another puzzle on the go to think about when you're stuck.

I think the problem with pure mini-games can be that it depends whether you enjoy them or not. I remember the original Sam & Max included a couple of games including battleships that I found pointless.

One of the most fun times I have had in a game was playing the card games in Final Fantasy 8 and 9. You could walk up to any npc and challenge them to a card battle! The npc had their own deck and if you won you would get a card. Some npc's had unique cards that you could only find on that individual person. Of course you never HAD to play the card game, it was just there for extra entertainment.

I also quite enjoyed the card game in FF8 (& also the standalone Chocobo World, which was an entirely optional separate game). On the other hand, I think it fits in differently considering FF8 as an RPG rather than an adventure. I would often find myself wanting a break from the main quest more (e.g. during periods of collecting items or levelling up characters or between intense fights), whereas in an adventure game I'd probably rather take a break from the game entirely if I was stuck. I always thought of the card game as being part of a sidequest rather than for pure entertainment (honestly I never enjoyed the mechanics of actually playing it that much), since your main aim was to collect cards rather than just to win the game. It was tied in well to the main quest since cards could be converted to items (hence rare cards were desirable for rare items). Alternatively you could just collect the cards to get a complete set, which is perhaps an element that I would emphasize, since optional collectables often add some value or replayability. I thought this was done well in the Zelda games too (e.g. with the photo/statue quest or hat trading), where the optional collecting/side quest fits in whilst you're progressing through the game. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that included in an adventure game. On the other hand I think the problem with an RPG like FF8 was that it fetishized the idea of optional collectables & side quests to the extent that they often became the focus over the main quest (and to attain 100% completion you would need many hours sitting with a guidebook/walkthrough).

Why not just put a whole complete old school adventure game in there. DotT did it with maniac mansion. Plus you get the added bonus of bringing some of the younger crowd up to par with the older classics (if they decide to that is).

I actually liked the board game parts of AGON. Something like that would be fun I guess, but of course it would need to fit well with the story.

I loved ducking in a dark corner playing the handheld video games in system shock 2.

It would be nice if there was computers you could access that had some of Double Fines previous point and click games... like Full Throttle, or Curse of Monkey Island. I know Catherine had a simple version of the game that you could play. Same with Ninja Gaiden. Those are always nice to find out.

Sign in to follow this