Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheGuardian

Music composers

If you could chose from any composer for the DF Adventure which one(s) would be your top pick(s)?

For me, the ones that would fit a crazy, funny adventure game perfectly are:

- Tommy Tallarico (MDK, Earth Worm Jim)

- George "The Fatman" Alistair Sanger (The 7th Guest, Ultima Underword)

- Michael Land (The Secret of Monkey Island, Loom)

Michael Giacchino, usually does more serious music like LOST, Super 8, Star Trek etc. He also did "Up" which is a lighter style.

I've already mentioned this guy in the soundtrack thread I posted (oops!) and I don't want to feel like I'm here just to push this one agend, but man do I love Alec Holowka's music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Holowka

He made music for Aquaria and in-development game Marian, as well as working on other titles in the past. Plus, he'd be waaaay less expensive to hire than someone more famous.

Of course, you can never say no to Monkey Island's Michael Land. If only we could afford John Williams. Well, we probably could, but that wouldn't leave much left over for a game, hah.

Yeah, Peter McConnell and Tim Schafer have a pretty long and successful creative relationship. His scores to Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, etc. really complement Tim's vision and style perfectly. But in the end it will be a matter of the project itself and what kind of sound would complement it the best.

Of course, Tim did mention he could hum the soundtrack himself in one of the videos early on in the Kickstarter campaign! :) But that was before they got $3 million+!

I thought Lifeformed, the guy who did the Dustforce music, was already signed on. Isn't there information on the kick starter page about it too? Here is that guy's website http://lifeformed.com/. His name is Terence by the way.

I thought Lifeformed, the guy who did the Dustforce music, was already signed on. Isn't there information on the kick starter page about it too? Here is that guy's website http://lifeformed.com/. His name is Terence by the way.

+1 to lifeformed!! love his music. and also Austin Wintory, that journey soundtrack is soooo good.

altho having sumthing dark ambient and mysterious soundscapes would also be so sweet, and idk who would be good for that.

edit: austin probably

oooh or nobuo uematsu

That's a good point Lifeformed's music is really good, but it's upbeat. I'd what sort of theme the game with have so maybe the type of music he made for Dustforce wouldn't fit.

I love Michael Giacchino as well, since he can compose such a variety going from Disney to Lost to Medal of Honor, but probably assume Peter McConnell.

One of my favorite guys right now is Nathan Daughtrey, since I'm a percussion guy. If he could do a video game score, I'm sure he could knock it out of the park!

Michael Giacchino, usually does more serious music like LOST, Super 8, Star Trek etc. He also did "Up" which is a lighter style.
Yes. That would be excellent. If Clint Mansell can do Mass Effect 3, then Giacchino could make the jump to games.

It'd be a hell of a salary, but it'd be a mighty fine investment.

It's hard to name a composer before knowing what this project will be like. But for now I'd strongly assume that it's going to be

Michael Land or Peter McConnell. Like in old times :).

Although... I must say I love the music of Jared Emerson-Johnson (he did the soundtrack for several telltale games incl. the Sam & Max seasons). He would fit very well I think and he's extremely talented.

William Kevin Anderson.

After I've heard the underscore to the new My little pony series, I'm sure he'd be up to the task. (Any music without song in the show is his work)

My suggestion

Why not Aaron Walz/walz music ? He or they are great.

I thought Lifeformed was just on deck for the background to the documentary? (Was something like this not mentioned in a Kickstarter update?)

I'd be very surprised if Peter McConnell was not the composer they intend to have on deck, but branching out would be really exciting too. It's kind of hard to say to just pick a favorite game composers or anything because they have such distinct styles and we don't really know what the feel of Adventure is (but I'm guessing that it's McConnell-appropriate, which makes me think again that he's probably going to be the one to write the music).

Ennio Morricone, of course.

Hail to the king!

He might be too expensive... one can only dream!

Hail to the king!

expensive? quick, sumone get these guys another million

I vote for Darren Korb, he was the man behind the music on the game Bastion. His music accompanied the world so well that it double the immersion I felt when playing the game. He does truly wonderful work if you can get him on your team.

I like the music from Darren Korb. Nice country touch :).

If we bring in names, I also bring in someone I know in person (I'm sure he'd be up for this challenge):

http://marcbradley.de/

What if the DFA is actually dark and twisted! Could be a good excuse to go with some 20th century chromaticism with someone like Gary Schyman or slightly operatic with Paul Ruskay. ;)

Honestly I wouldn't know who to suggest until there is a better sense to the theme and tone of the game, and I'm sure thy already have a stable of people they go to for those needs.

If we bring in names, I also bring in someone I know in person (I'm sure he'd be up for this challenge):

http://marcbradley.de/

I agree, his work on Bastion was very good:

This one has a very western sound to it, reminds me of the old spaghetti westerns and Clint Eastwood

Hail to the king!

expensive? quick, sumone get these guys another million

New Kickstarter campaign: "Let's get Ennio Morricone to make the music for DFA"

Goal: $1 million :)

...well, at least the intro theme.

Darren Korb is fantastic! The music in Bastion is some of the best videogame music I've ever heard.

Now perhaps it's because I have recently rekindled my love for Banjo-Kazooie, but I think Grant Kirkhope could make an absolutely amazing soundtrack.

He makes some very cool music with just the right amount of whimsy. He does well with establishing themes in music and using them in very smart ways throughout the games.

Sign in to follow this