Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Amethyst

The Soundtrack

Personally, I feel a great game is made by combining great elements from several different places in production. Obviously the game needs to look and feel right, and most people want an engaging narrative or storyline. Among these is sound, too. So I'm opening this thread to discuss what we think the soundtrack should sound like. What sort of vibes it should give off, what kind of feelings?

Personally, I think a game should have something that resembles an epic orchestral soundtrack, and I use the term "epic" in its original meaning. I'm pretty sure everyone who enjoys soundtrack music knows John Williams, because he is the definition of epic soundtrack making. On the other hand, there are far, far lesser known people who also make perfect fitting soundtracks for games, such as Alec Holowka.

This is why I think Double Fine should look into other games we suggest when it comes to delivery of soundtrack. So, if anyone has any suggestions they'd like the Double Fine crew to possibly take a peek at, let's post 'em here.

I'll start: The Aquaria soundtrack. Aquaria is an independent adventure game by the aforementioned Alec Holowka (programming and sound) and Derek Yu (art and design). I highly recommend everyone look at this game, because even though it's relatively new, it gives off that impossible feeling of nostalgia from the beautiful visuals and music. When I backed this project, it was largely because I felt if this game could make me feel the way Aquaria does, it'd be well worth double the price, but this is just my suggestion. Have a look/listen:

And the rest of you, give your opinions on sound too! :)

I got Aquaria as part of a Humbe Indie Bundle. It's quite fun, but I got stuck near the end.

I don't imagine the soundtrack as being epic at all, but we don't know much about what the game will be like in the first place. I figured it would be wacky zany sounding music. But then I can't really think of an example of music like that, and I'm not even sure the type of music I'm thinking of is actually a thing. Maybe I just imagine the game being wacky and zany so I imagine the music being that way.

The Dilbert opening theme is something, I guess. Actually, the music from Dilbert. That's a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDCg5_-QFgg

I'm not suggesting they should have music like that though, it's just what pops into my head when I think of this game.

Actually, the music that they used in the Kickstarter video is also what I imagine the game would sound like. Maybe that's where I got the idea from in the first place.

I really just think they should stick to whatever fits the game best. What if some "epic" orchestral soundtrack doesnt fit the game at all?

Nah, I trust them to find the right answer themselves.

It's impossible to comment on the game's music until we know what the theme and setting and the look of the game will be. Music is pretty much last when it comes to development. Though I absolutely agree with you on its importance. Music and sound are often not given near enough credit in video games for what it adds to the experience.

That having been said however, I would love to see Tim continue his collaboration with Peter McConnell who he's worked with on all of his games since Day of the Tentacle. They make a really good team! Unless of course the project calls for something completely different, but the funds that have been raised would certainly allow for Peter Mc to step up to do the music if that's what's right for the game.

Sign in to follow this