Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Benita780

What's an original setting you'd want to see a new Double Fine adventure take place?

I feel like I grew up on adventure games that took place around the Monkey Island, Sci-Fi(Space Quest) and Medieval Mythology(King's Quest) universe settings. Is there an original setting or setting you haven't seen in a while that you'd like a Double Fine adventure game to take place?

For example: Sci-Fi Western like Firefly/Brisco County, Jr.

In my opinion the best is a fantasy setting in the style of Whispered World or a twisted-post apocalyptic world like Machinarium and Full Throttle.Besides that, there always the option of creating a new original setting-world. I thing that it would be great if DF make a poll for that subject.

Juxtaposing the mundane with the fantastical. A travel agent (in the Land of the Dead), A summer camp (for psychics!). Love those types of settings/setups. Much more interesting then the usually fare that comes out.

I agree with bowie, it need to have some form of hybrid theme, sukiyaki western django is a great example in film. It allows the creators the ability to jump ideas around whilst maintaining a sense of familiarity. What they choose hybrid is an anticipated surprise for me.

I like the idea of modern magic. Say magic is real and is used in society everyday. Just the idea of how your job would be different if everyone used magic instead of machines, or magical machines.

(I think I said magic too much)

I personally would love to see something in a cyberpunk setting.. something akin to Deus Ex. I am a huge fan of the settings in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I think that something in a dystopic, sci-fi universe would make a great canvas for an adventure game.

DEHR_LowerHengshaResidential.jpg

DEHR_LowerHengshaResidential.jpg.2ce6ea1

I don't know about you but I'm not that interested in playing a game set in Place Most Voted On. I'd rather see what the guys and girls of Double Fine come up with.

1980-1990 with all those funny styles they had back then and then you discover something magical.

I loved the movies like Goonies, Back to the future and Gremlins. Something in that setting would be great.

lg_goonies.jpg

futuristic!

robots!

spaceships!

aliens!

maybe where human kind are considered pets of a spuerior alien race.

Wow, I like most of the ideas here. Sure one game will be enough?

Wow, I like most of the ideas here. Sure one game will be enough?
My furniture store idea alone would need at least three games to be done properly.

Fantasy all the way.

I love settings where it's full of Magic. Swords and Sorcery kind of things!!

That way you can have all kinds of cool contraptions and just say "they run by magic" and not need a huge in depth explanation of how they would work.

How about a fantasy zoo/aquarium/aviary with all sorts of magical and un-magical creatures. Maybe something dinosaur-like or Jurassic Park type of game.

I don't know about you but I'm not that interested in playing a game set in Place Most Voted On. I'd rather see what the guys and girls of Double Fine come up with.

Luckily we dont have to worry about that. I'm sure they are finding just the right idea themselves.

I cringe everytime i hear steampunk, its allright, but done to hell.

I love it when adventure games feature modern or semi-modern settings with the introduction of some sort of mythology the rest of mainstream culture has yet to latch onto. I'm thinking Gabriel Knight and Broken Sword'ish settings, something akin to Vampire: The Masquerade or Call of Cthulhu could work too I suppose.. Otherwise a fantasy or sci-fi setting were you slowly uncover the inner workings of the world/civilization (TLJ or The Dig style).

I would say Steampunk, but that seems to be the 'alternative setting of choice' nowadays if you get what I mean, so I can get what Lozzen means. Personally for an adventure game I think a 'near-modern' setting could work, something based in the 80s like some have suggested or maybe even 60s or 70s. Or maybe an 'ancient alien astronauts' theme like a modern-day Zak McKraken?

Personally I'd prefer the devs decide, better they go with one they are enthusiastic and have specific ideas for rather than going for some generic theme and working everything else into it.

1) A Suicide Consulting Firm that helps you kill yourself in the best way.

2) A RPG gamer who one day wakes up in an adventure game.

3) Fantasy setting: Some fantasy creature who is sick of living in a fantasy world and tries to find a way in the real world (this setting could really abuse typical fantasy elements, hehe).

4) A BigBrother-like TV-show.

5) A world of talking animals who enslaved all mankind.

6) A starship looking for a new planet for mankind.

Steampunk is really bloody awful.

Agreed.

I like the exotic settings from Tintin, Uncharted and Broken Sword. Maybe a variation on those?

The sorta "Saturday Afternoon Matinee" setting?

Yeah. Yeah. I could go with that. Would mean plenty of art deco design!

I'm sure that DF can come up with far better ideas than anything I can but it would be really cool to see the Monkey Island treatment applied to a traditional fantasy world. I smell hilarious potential for wizard jokes.

I'm sure that DF can come up with far better ideas than anything I can but it would be really cool to see the Monkey Island treatment applied to a traditional fantasy world. I smell hilarious potential for wizard jokes.

I'd just be constantly comparing it to Pratchett, but...

I'd just be constantly comparing it to Pratchett, but...

Well, there' already Simon the Sorcerer and the Discworld games?

Medieval Europe!

Or, even better, the Italian Renaιssance!!!

Little to no fantasy world, a plot based on historical elements and real locations. I think it would be beautiful.

Setting:

The year 2288. The worlds first time machine has accidentally been invented by a bunch of midget cheerleaders on their annual cheerleading trip. Their rather fat, and recently divorced, designated bus driver stumbles into it and is instantly sent back to 1980s while searching for a misplaced pink suitcase.

Yet the 1980s isn´t like we remember it. It´s no longer a collection of way too big purple jackets and Rick Astly, but a bleak horrific decade filled with old people with too much time on their hands, and a rather huge interest in BDSM. The young are gone, nowhere to be found.

And what is the old people´s fascination with black/green monitors and secret BBSs?

Technology has stagnated and has turned toward a future with no advances in computers or science.

Sign in to follow this