Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Benita780

What's an original setting you'd want to see a new Double Fine adventure take place?

Space presents many interesting options environmentally and some really great options for style, so I don't thats a bad option.

Places with interesting weather are also another thing, you can change tone via weather type effects pretty well...funneling it into more style options.

Alternate history where the Greek Empire became as expansive as the Roman Empire but did not fall apart and achieves space flight by 1,000ad. This sparks the interest of an alien race of "ming the merciless" evil geniuses that try to conquer the earth by creating the Greeks greatest enemies, leaving the protagonist to fight through scifi interpretations of Greek myths to save the world from the Minglords.

Some days ago, i was in the elevator with my 2yrs old son and i've thaught her what the buttons meant. So now she knows that "3" means home, "0" means grandma's house and "-1" means car. When yesterday I accidentally pushed "2" and then arrived at the 2nd floor, she WOWed at seeing something so familiar but yet different than what she usually sees when the doors slides.

Back on topic, i'd like a multi-universe where Elevators can transports people on different but yet similar realities. (different rules of phisics, different time-age, different political situations or what-if situations, different colours)

A china shop with or without the bull.

(Actually here in germany we have elephants in our china shops.)

I would really just like the protagonist to be a real BADA$$. Nothing annoys me more than a main character with balls of peanut butter. Lets get someone in there with some chutzpah. Just a thought.

I'd like to see something set in the late fifties or early-sixties. The dawn of the age of glamourous cynicism. I'd like to see air travel, sea travel, time travel, the occult and... bizzare contraptions. Exotic locations like Colombia, Tibet, Skegness and Iceland! Romance! And cookery. And dinosaurs. Maybe Superheroes too.

I'm thinking Mad Men meets Hellboy meets Mr Ben! Or something.

I'm sure that DF can come up with far better ideas than anything I can but it would be really cool to see the Monkey Island treatment applied to a traditional fantasy world. I smell hilarious potential for wizard jokes.

I'm going to sound like a broken record but Simon the Sorcerer and Simon the Sorcerer II are exactly this. Have you played them?

I think people are right to pick up on the successful juxtaposition that has always worked so well in Doublefine's (and Tim and Ron's previous) output E.g. The psychic summer camp.

To me the settings that speak to people are always are in part familiar, in its cultural depiction or personal experience, and yet offer a significant amount of 'OMG' wish fulfilment. In Psychonauts it was a joy to explore the camp and eavesdrop on the kids excellently written conversations, additionally you got to set things on fire with your mind - bonus.

Roller Derby meets sci-fi opera is my offering.

Meh... Guess I'd better just leave it to the professionals...

I am looking for a grungy world with an other worldly feel. I also like the Juxtapose idea that is being floated around, I did enjoy Psychonauts psychic summer camp. Maybe an old western set on a world covered entirely in water, an underground city, or even a office building set in the middle of a fantasy forest could be really fun.

People taking my furniture store idea seriously makes me smile.

Well then, let me make you smile again. I think the furniture store is great. There's potential for clientele-problems as a puzzle presenting mechanic, ala Freddy Pharkus, and the number of wardrobes, cabinets, bureaus, etc in the place combined with magic could yield some interesting gateways if necessary. Perhaps using portal-powers on certain pieces of furniture would yield not gateways to other worlds but gateways to the same world with certain changes, differences in physics, NPC personalities, etc. Other mechanics could be furniture building, feng shui arrangement, stacking/balancing, and store management problems.

I'd like to see worlds from previous Doublefine games make appearances. I don't want to stifle the creative juices of a company that has repeatedly shown itself to be very creative and...well...juicy? I wouldn't want the game to focus on old material, however, adventuring through the Doublefine universe would offer quite a few opportunities for adventurous adventures of adventure.

The mash up idea is very appealing to me. I don't want to see like a just straight up space or fantasy setting, but instead somthing thats unique. I have no idea what that will be but I want to see somthing different.

A return to the Colossal Cave of the first adventure game ever. Ron even mentioned it and its close cousin Zork in the teaser video. Adventure games would have come full circle with the first good adventure in years and years (not a fan of Telltale) lampooning/paying homage to/referencing etc. the first adventure ever.

The cave/maze is also a classical metaphor for the human mind, so you could really fill that cave with whatever. Something that should ease the development process.

A furniture store.

No joke this is my favorite suggestion so far.

Some thoughts:

A window washer who finds that every window she washes looks into an different alternate reality where, for example dogs keep people as pets or everything is made of food, and she has to solve janitorial crimes.

A travelling wild west show that takes place on a microscopic scale loses its prize paramecium-rider and you the amoebic rodeo clown has to get him back.

The ghost of a murdered flower salesman has to stop the mob from killing his daughter. The catch: he can only travel via flowering plants.

The window washer one intrigues me...

Man. Way to many good ideas. personally im thinking a cool futuristic steam punk / post apocalyptic. maybe something kind of like fallout.

I would love to see something along the lines of "The Dig". I thought that was a beautifully done game and mixed science with the magical feeling quite well. The time doesn't really matter and would prefer an "alternate" world that takes from many timelines. The juxtaposition of magic and technology could make for a tense world.

What about a microscopic world that is actually a lot like ours. The story line would have to include a microman somehow transporting into our world or vice-versa.

I would like a satire on a zombie game. Kind of like the "Dirt Nap" comics that's posted on the double fine website. People made into zombies using juice and hero's are the zombies.

The cosmos! an intergalactic being who has to do wacky things with galaxies to solve some unfathomable question. Like how to find a galaxy-sized cow for milk for your breakfast

Grim Fandango was my favourite Adventure game, that was a totally original setting. So I'm thinking along those lines, just off the top of my head, how about a modern day Valhalla, some kind of spin on Norse Gods, what would they be doing today if they were real.

I dunno.

Or Outer Space is always a good one, you can pretty much make up whatever you like.

Or perhaps an alien invasion.

Yeah, I don't know, just throwing it out there :)

Original setting, eh?

Hmm... I think something to do with being in space, travelling to different planets could be good; even though the idea is initially in space, you could play about with the different planets and have different environments on each planet, thus having many different themes throughout the play-through of the game.

Cajun palace on top of the underwater ice cream mountains. yea, thought never even occurred to you guys did it? But there it is.

I have probably come up with dozens of potential settings for games and stories in the past, but more than projecting my ideas onto the development team i really wanna see them out of the box on this one. I would love for them to splice some existing themes together to get something new. I've seen how monkey island did a great job in the past and i hope they manage to capture that uniqueness, at the same time if they portray it with the stylized art like they did in Psychonauts (except make it 2d) then that would make me that much more impressed.

It would be cool if they went with some kind of steampunk setting
1930s theme would be nice I think.
I like the idea of modern magic. Say magic is real and is used in society everyday. Just the idea of how your job would be different if everyone used magic instead of machines, or magical machines.

I vote all of the above.

every game is better with a bizzaro world in which way I don't know. I think there is a game already doing something like that. Pehaps the idea just slipped into my subconscious.

Sign in to follow this