Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JaakkoP

Good female characters

What makes a good female character is the same thing that makes a good male character. I don't know why people seem to think there's different rules for women. Socially,yes,there's different rules for women,but as to what makes a good character,no,not so much. So let's look at some good female characters and some bad ones.

Granny Weatherwax. A personal favorite. Basically a female Batman,Granny seems to have her shit together and always seems to know what to do,while also haunted by her personal demons and the feeling something is missing from her life. She's observant,intelligent,and crafty and not above using a bit of brute force when needed. But most importantly,like Batman,you can almost believe she can do just about anything. There's just something about her character that says "Yes,I am this badass so you better watch yourself". Compare her portrayal in the Discworld cartoons with that of "old man Wayne" in Batman Beyond. I think you'll find a very real similarity. While Granny's character doesn't change much over the series,you do get signs that the events have affected her in some way,much like,once again,Batman. Or any good character. To stay the same person is one thing. To show no signs of anything getting through to you is another.

Lara Croft. Lara is a horrible character. She's blank,boring,and basically not at all interesting as a person. Yeah,she's got a nice bod,but when you get right down to it,she's really got more in common with Reb Brown than Batman. She wins cause the writers say so. She survives encounters because the writers say so. She doesn't survive by wits,she survives by filling everything around her with lead. And if you don't get it right the first time,you fail and have to start over,no chance to recover from a mistake. If handled properly,this kind of character can be a lot of fun,but without any kind of humanizing elements,Lara just takes herself too seriously and comes off as dull to be around. Her other oft compared male counterpart,Indiana Jones,also gets by on wits,quick thinking,and a good amount of dumb luck. This gives him not only a humanizing element,but a humorous one that many people can relate to. After all,who hasn't recovered from a massive fuck up at least once in their lives? Without that,she becomes more of a Mary Sue and doesn't really grow or learn anything. Lara Croft at the beginning is the same Lara Croft at the end. She doesn't grow or change in any way. The character stagnates and becomes stale.

Blackarchnia (Beast Wars). Smart,ruthless,sneaky,and all around evil bitch,BA really stole a lot of scenes in Beast Wars due to the fact she was a believable character. She was really good at talking her way out of a bad situation as well as fair fighter. She was no Dinobot,but then,who is? Besides Dinobot,of course. And when she falls for loveable idiot Silverbolt,it's actually pretty believable. She's pretty much on the outs with the Predacons as both Megatron and Tarantulas have both considered offing her,she knows she can trust SB because you can't fake being that good,and,deep down,she is a Maximal at heart. However,even without the Predacon core code,she can still be a stone cold bitch. And,once again,these elements make her more "human" and relatable.

Blackarchia (Beast Machines). BM sodomized everything BW was,especially the characters,and BA was no exception. Once a confident,independent character who wasn't afraid to take risks,BM BA was now little more than just eye candy and drama. BW BA wouldn't have stood for just standing around waiting for the menfolk to figure things out. She'd have been sneaking in every back door and air vent she could find to gather information and make plan after plan after plan to bring down Megatron. And she certainly wouldn't be sitting around feeling sorry for herself. Granted,BA was no Tarantulas,but she was good at setting traps and turn situations to her advantage. This was just a mopey misery bucket shaped like a womanly robot spider thing.

Bella (Twilight series). Dear god,what is wrong with people that they can actually enjoy this shit? I can understand loving a bad movie,but some people are actually calling this good. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?! And the rotting cherry on this garbage and shit sundae is Bella. There's really nothing to Bella. She has nothing to say most of the time,and when she does speak,it's to remind us that she only cares about herself and what she wants and that she's a complete moron. I watched the Twilight movies purely as a test of manliness and only with the Rifftrax commentaries. And she is just the most horrible kind of manipulative bitch. And she's not special in any way unless you consider "tasting good" is a special ability. Well,that and her ability to attract obviously gay men to her. Bella is either annoying or a non-entity. She serves no purpose and she never becomes interesting as a character. She just plows through the movie as a vacant eyed zombie woman who sucks all joy and meaning out of life. I mean,look at Ed when she first meets him. He's happy-go-lucky without a care in the world. And somehow she infects him with her dreariness to the point you would be cheering him on if he decided to fall on a stake. And finally,Renesme. I can't think of a male character she compares to simply because I don't think any male character like this would be allowed to exist.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Yeah,I'm a brony. And if you had any sense,you would be too. The show might be targeted at young girls but it's hitting everyone. Characters are fun and interesting. Stories,while fairly predictable,are well told and entertaining. And honestly,if you can't find room in your heart for a cross-eyed pegasus,then you're just not living right. Basically,this is how female characters should be. They take chances,they get hurt,they go out and LIVE and actually follow their desires,no matter how big or small they are. And in the end,they're all flawed and imperfect,which makes it believable that they need to learn the life lessons they do. Even if said lessons don't always take by the next episode.

So you see,writing a good female character is simply writing a good character who's just female. A truly relatable character can be related to by someone of any gender,race,or ethnicity. So I say,just write your characters and then flip a coin to decide if male or female. If they're well written,people will dig them.

@ Merlynn: I love everything about your posting. And have to admit that you're a far braver person than I am. I would never dare watching anything "Twilight"-related for fear of ruining most of my brain cells (which I rather ruin by doing other things).

Granny Weatherwax would kick Lara Croft's well-rounded backside in a heartbeat! Same goes for Susan Sto Helit. But Terry Pratchett writes wonderful characters all around, male, female and...other.

@Merlynn: Good job on that post, and Granny Weatherwax is one of my favourite characters too. 'Witches Abroad' is one of Pratchett's best, perhaps second only to 'Small Gods'.

One thing has definitely come clear within the discussion in this thread: character and femininity are two separate things. Then again, we could have some characters in games that deal with the more complex aspects of femininity, couldn't we :)

Um, I'm gonna get Freudian and Jungian here. As main characters, people seem to like female characters which resemble the "hero from the wilderness" archetype undergoing an archetypal feminine struggle often dealing with sexuality ultimately leading to battle with the "whore of Babylon" or "dark queen" archetype. Look at Alien, Metroid, and Portal. The aliens are basically rape monsters, with phallic bodies and mouths with which impregnate their victims. The Metroids are basically vagina's with fangs, representing the fear of a burgeoning sexuality. Ridley represents stealing Samus's innocence, as he killed her parents. Kraid represents the advances of male sexuality, what with his body shooting out giant pointy phallic symbols. In Portal the portals look suspiciously like vaginas, vagina's that lead to new opportunities, detailing the power of a woman's sexuality. In Aliens, the "whore of Babylon/dark queen" archetype is the alien hive Queen. In Metroid it's Mother Brain. In Portal it's GLaDOS. All female villains for female heroes. This archetype represents what the "hero from the wilderness" archetype could become if she chose the darker side of her own femininity, i.e. gave into hypersexuality, emasculation of men, emotional instability, lack of positive maternal instincts, finding power and fear in sex instead of love and sincerity.

I would say that many Bioware games have plenty of well made Female characters, especially in Mass Effect series. There are many more examples already listed that show that good female characters are around. Bonus points for mentioning Granny Weatherwax! If there's one interesting thing I noticed is that there aren't many older female protagonists.

Shepard is a very interesting character in this respect. The character has to be kind of asexual by game design: both femshep and heshep (i love those terms to death btw) have to go through the same storyline, and have to choose from the same set of choices and actions.

Yet the way we perceive those choices and actions varies with the gender of the hero. A good example is when Shepard punches the inquisitive reporter in the face. For me, the male Shepard seemed more aggressive, like 'I just need this bastard to shut up right about now, and this will accomplish that'. The female Shepard was more like 'Are you serious? Show me some goddamn respect'.

This is, of course, just my personal experience. But I'm certain I'm not the the only one seeing these differences, and I think good story telling should take them into account.

I really loved April Ryan in the first The Longest Journey game, though I didn't really like her that much in Dreamfall (though she was kind of a secondary character there, with Zoe Castillo the "primary" character, although at times she was playable). But she was pretty stron and independent in the first game already, I really liked that a lot.

Zoe forever April never! :P Ok I love them both. Definitely some of the best female characters around imo.

I think that's all in your head,Jaakko. Or depends on when you decide to punch the reporter. The vids on YouTube,it looks the same to me with manshep or femshep. I never really played Mass Effect because A) I hate 3rd person cover shooters and it's a crappy one even by those standards. And B) the plot looks like a patchwork of X-Files and Star Control 3 (which,may I remind you,was the crappiest of the Star Control series). If the real ending ends up with just finding a more efficient way to give the Reapers what they want,I'm just gonna be laughing my ass off at the ME fans.

I think that's all in your head,Jaakko. Or depends on when you decide to punch the reporter. The vids on YouTube,it looks the same to me with manshep or femshep. I never really played Mass Effect because A) I hate 3rd person cover shooters and it's a crappy one even by those standards. And B) the plot looks like a patchwork of X-Files and Star Control 3 (which,may I remind you,was the crappiest of the Star Control series). If the real ending ends up with just finding a more efficient way to give the Reapers what they want,I'm just gonna be laughing my ass off at the ME fans.

Yes, it is all in my head. That's kind of the point I'm making. There is nothing in the game itself to make the difference. It's just that I, personally, had a different experience playing through the game as a male opposed to a female. Is this in everyone's head? I don't know, I'm not everyone's head. That would be weird and slightly gross. Anyway, if you don't see a difference there, I guess that you are less sexist than I am.

Also, if you have any interest in 80-90's TV sci-fi space operas, play Mass Effect 2. It's highly derivative, but in a good way. Skip the first one, though. The crummy combat makes it not worthwhile.

Skimming through this thread, I've seen a lot of commentaries about clothing, proportions, and other appearances. And I see this as a big MISSING THE POINT. Having a good character shouldn't really rely at all on appearances. I mean, you could have a large chested prostitute as the main character, and if given proper attention to her background, motivations, and attitude, could still come up with an excellent character. It doesn't matter what she looks like.

As far as good female video game characters, I'd have to say that I particularly like Jaheira, especially from Baldur's Gate II. She's got a very interesting character arc that has her dealing with the loss of her husband all the while having to choose to protect her friend or follow her organization. And her romance is fairly realistic and well done. That, and as the game goes on, she develops quite the sense of humor.

And where's the love for Lily and Veronica from Fallout: New Vegas? Who DOESN'T love an eight foot tall nightkin grannie who wears a flower bonnet and calls everyone "dearie"? Or a cheerfully sarcastic technowiz who enjoys punching people while spouting fun retorts? And they also both have interesting backstories and character arcs through the game, too. Astounding.

I'd also put forth Rosella and Valanice, from KQ VII: Princeless Bride. They were both fairly realistic as well as being witty and entertaining enough to be fun to play.

I also quite like GlaDOS, but I'm not exactly sure to what extent she qualifies as being female since she's, well, a robot. It's a sad state of affairs when one of the most interesting female characters is actually a machine.

And Granny Weatherwax is boss. This goes without saying.

Actually,Al,I find that appearances can be vital to a character. Take Princess Peach. Due to her track record of being constantly kidnapped and her cute and very pink appearance,many people write the character off as being an idiotic bimbo who's "just there to be the prize". To be fair,I'd rip through a few dozen koopas and a fire breathing turtle for a crack at dat ass for looks alone,but if you look a little deeper,you find Peach is a lot more than she first seems.

Firstly,there's her comic book appearance where she's apparently had enough of Bowser kidnapping her and,after a clothing swap with Luigi who went in her place while she was knocked out,had blown a hole in Bowser's castle was standing ready with a huge pile of bombs,ready to end the whole thing once and for all. This "mad bomber" mentality showed up again in Super Paper Mario when Peach,forced to talk through a filter program to react favorably to a geeky lizard,suddenly broke free of it and threw a bomb at him,destroying the laptop of seduction and starting the boss fight with the geeky lizard. Indeed,one can pretty much rip through the game simply by throwing out bombs and using Peach's umbrella to protect yourself. Very little can stand up to this.

Secondly,it can be pointed out that Peach is one of the better characters in any game she appears in. SMB2,she can fly,making some of the more difficult jumps a LOT easier. In Super Paper Mario,she has a shield and can float. And she's pretty kick ass in the Super Smash Brothers games. Especially Melee where her Peach Bomber can one shot most of the enemies even in the final maze level. Truly,dem hips be deadly. And,of course,Super Princess Peach. Some people say it's too easy. I say it's because Peach is way more powerful than Mario. Mario can't heal himself,fly,rage,use any kind of weapon without a power up,or float. In fact,going back to Super Paper Mario,Mario is the weakest character in the game. If it wasn't for his "flip" ability,he'd be completely useless. Something to think about.

Finally,the kidnapping thing. Lets look at some examples of when we were allowed to see what happens when she's kidnapped. Paper Mario,Bowser finds the ultimate MacGuffin and STEALS THE WHOLE DAMN CASTLE. Mario is there and can't do jack about it because Bowser's literally invincible. In fact,the whole quest of the game is to find a way to beat his cheat code. And we get to see a bit of what Princess Peach does when she's captured that allows her to send power ups,something she's done since SMB3,to Mario. Super Mario Sunshine,Mario was right there and Peach still gets taken by "shadow Mario". And,finally,we have Paper Mario 2,where Peach is just shopping around and gets caught in a magical trap. Once again,Peach uses her wits,charm,and Solid Snake style stealth abilities to get information and power ups to Mario,despite the danger to herself. Bowser might go easy on her,but these X-naughts,who knows what they might do to her. And lets not forget that Bowser has kidnapped Mario on more than one occasion. One is forced to come to the realization that the problem isn't that Peach is stupid,it's just that Bowser is very powerful and very determined. If it wasn't for the fact he was dumb as hell,he'd be unstoppable. And we don't really see the kidnapping attempts that fail since we only really hear about when he succeeds.

So we end up with a character who looks and acts cute and sweet and nice,but the truth is,she's really powerful. A monster in a pink dress who's capable of destroying whole armies on her own. Hell,she's even better at it than her so-called hero. I personally believe that the only reason Bowser is able to hold her at all is because most of her kidnappings go down like the prisoner transfer scene in Silence of the Lambs,with Peach strapped to a dolly and muzzled with everyone afraid of her. God knows I would be.

So yeah,I just think the people who think Peach is "just a bimbo" just don't know the character that well. And they often make that judgement based on her appearance. So appearance can be a lot to a character. So,is Peach "just a bimbo" or does she just have you all fooled?

As for robot girls,well,they are robots with female qualities. And then,of course,there's the question of what female qualities makes something female enough to be female. For example,if Zeus from Real Steel had a woman voice,would that make Zeus female? Male name,male looking body,woman voice. 2 male,1 female. Me,I say you look at all the qualities and decide for yourself. To put this in perspective,at what point does a transsexual go from a man in women's clothes to being essentially a woman with a penis? What do you call that? Him? Her? In the end,it's probably easier to go with just seeing what the person is happy with and call them that.

Why can't we just have both?

I mean, both a good character and nice looks (without being half-naked). And indeed, looks are important, also to create character. We'd be fooling ourselves if we said we were purely judging others on what they say and do and not on their looks as well.

I watch a lot of animated cartoons, preferably with a classic animation style. Most early female characters there were just around to be girlfriends and damsels in distress, like Minnie and Dolly. But more recent shows like Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs does have more character to its females. While you could say Hello Nurse in Animaniacs is a good example of what we shouldn't have, I say lighten up for a minute. Why should every single character be deep and have lots of different sides? Just not possible for any minor character. She was actually very smart and had a high I.Q, despite being mostly eye-candy and for Yakko and Wakko to say the catchprase (her name). That's not a bad thing by itself in my book. Dot, the Girlfeathers, Slappy and others had more character, and the predecessor Tiny Toon Adventures had Babs which at times seemed to overshadow her male counterpart. She was the funny yet intelligent one, and was at least as important as Buster. In general that show made the females much more likable in many situations, while the males were often the losers (Plucky and Hamton to name a couple of them).

In conclusion: good character is not dependent on the sex of the person, and it doesn't hurt to make the characters pretty even if they're just minor and doesn't have much depth whatsoever. And you can make some of them non-attractive for all I care. Variety is the key; but don't rule out good looks just to make it so politically correct that you can see it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I believe the Bechdel Test has a lot to do with the strength of a female character in games. It is used primarily in Film and Television, but it applies to video games as well. It brings to light how most people use women in video games, as tools for romance. Most don't stand on their own as their own character, without a male counterpart. This is true of most film, most television, and almost ALL video games. Here is the test, a piece of work must meet all three requirements to pass:

1. It includes at least two women,

2. who have at least one conversation,

3. about something other than a man or men.

Mass Effect under these terms doesn't pass. I feel ME is a good example of strong female characters, but not compelling ones. This issue most arises from the fact that most characters are only speaking to Shepard and rarely to one another. So the only way to pass the test is to play a female Shepard. When you run any game through the test it raises the question, "Are these good female characters? Or are they just engines to further some sort of romance subplot?"

Wickedly long post.

While this is a very compelling argument about misunderstandings of a particular woman in Mario, I would hesitate to say that being powerful constitutes a good female character. Would a male character who looks like an idiot (but is actually really powerful) be a good character? Nope. The thing is, to me, a good character is one who has believable, interesting personality traits that can't be described using brief adjectives. A character with a complete backstory that supports and affirms their strengths and flaws. Yes, there should be flaws. Granted, I haven't played as much Mario as you, but does Peach really have a personality? If she had a day to herself what would she do with it? Throw grenades at cardboard cutouts of Bowser? Or is she this just a character who looks weak but becomes a dominating force for some unexplained reason?

I say this because she could very well be an interesting character, but it seems like the depth that makes characters relate-able is kinda missing here. And adding that depth is what makes awesome characters. Batman would just be a idiot in a bat costume if it weren't for Bruce Wayne's backstory and resulting personality.

I believe the Bechdel Test has a lot to do with the strength of a female character in games. It is used primarily in Film and Television, but it applies to video games as well. It brings to light how most people use women in video games, as tools for romance. Most don't stand on their own as their own character, without a male counterpart. This is true of most film, most television, and almost ALL video games. Here is the test, a piece of work must meet all three requirements to pass:

1. It includes at least two women,

2. who have at least one conversation,

3. about something other than a man or men.

Mass Effect under these terms doesn't pass. I feel ME is a good example of strong female characters, but not compelling ones. This issue most arises from the fact that most characters are only speaking to Shepard and rarely to one another. So the only way to pass the test is to play a female Shepard. When you run any game through the test it raises the question, "Are these good female characters? Or are they just engines to further some sort of romance subplot?"

That is the problem you run into when you start talking about characters in games, rather than characters in a book or movie. The problem you're describing mostly comes with the mechanics of gaming... (It's unrealistic to expect MORE dialogue in that game.)

Further, there is a difference between a minor "supporting" character and a major protagonist. The gamer character always drives the plot forward, and the minor characters always serve the plot... that is true, regardless of gender.

I just think people are looking for trouble with female characters - which goes back to my original point... Girls in games are tricky because they aren't allowed to just serve their role in the story. They mean something outside of the story... in the form of this same old tired political debate.

In my opinion, things are better left to the authors and developers... let them do what they want - without kowtowing to social/political dogma.

She'd probably want to go out and have fun with it. Like I said,there's lots of characterization of Peach that most people just miss or overlook because,once again,she LOOKS a certain way. She's always trying to get parties going and baking cakes and given her drothers,she'd probably spend the day just hanging out with the people. I mean,that "wickedly long post" was the SHORT version of Peach's character hitting the high points of what most people claim to hate about her. There's a LOT more to Peach than that,but I'll only get into it if you really want me to.

But,again,this is the short version,if I had to liken Peach to a male counterpart,I'd probably pick Superman. She holds a lot of power,both political and personally,and she wants to use that power to help people. So really,the question is,is Superman a bad character? Granted,an untalented writer can push out a simple story where Superman just kicks butt,but a good writer will examine the frustrations that come with having so much power but,in the end,you're still just one person and there's only so much one person can do to fix a whole world of people with problems.

As for "stupid but actually powerful",well,there's several characters like that. Johnny Bravo,who's damn near superhuman to start with but also gains super powers and has pulled out of some really tough scraps. There's Goku from Dragon Ball. He's always been a bit dense. Especially the Abridged version. I find him endlessly entertaining in either version. Vash the Stampede often acts the fool,but is actually very capable. So I find that yeah,some really good characters fall into the "dumb but powerful" catagory.

April Ryan from The Longest Journey is probably the best female main character I know of.

Mostly due to her being wittily sarcastic while retaining an actual persona and not becoming a cartoon both inside and outside, which I feel is quite common among adventure game characters.

I actually remember "the line that sold it to me" when it comes to April; If you clicked the examine-button on herself, she would say;

Sometimes I just feel so self-aware...

Another nice character is Olivia Ofrenda from Grim Fandango. Everything about her and the blue casket was so mysterious and suggestive. She was definitely a cartoonish character, but she remained mysterious by not overdoing it.

I actually wrote a "song" about The blue casket a few years ago; http://himlakropp.bandcamp.com/track/at-the-blue-casket

It's got the poem's in it and everything :D

A good female character is one that's being treated like a person by the writers.

It's probably true that a character who isn't being treated like a person by the writers will be a bad character.

But I don't believe they're necessarily a good character just from passing this one test.

Katniss Everdeen is one of the best modern examples of a good female character. ;) Though I don't know how appropriate that type would be for a point and click game...

Edit: Oh, whoops, didn't notice that most of these posts were from like... April. Sorry, aha.

I actually thought that the female characters in Mass Effect were very well done. I played the game mostly with a female Shepard, so I didn't experience the characters as romance options. They all had well-developed back-stories, motivations for their attitudes, behaviour, etc. (At least in ME1 and 2, haven't played 3 yet). They also differed in their strengths and weaknesses. Ashley was a strong military type, while Tali was more feminine, with her strengths being intelligence and tech. They both had flaws, as well. Ashley was a bit racist, quick to anger, etc. Tali doesn't always make the best decisions. Some, such as the asari, were highly sexualized. But they at least give a reason why, and gave the characters personality. (Well, sort of... The asari fell a bit short in my opinion).

I personally feel that Mass Effect is a great example of diverse, well-rounded female characters. They were strong, without being overbearingly so. Dragon Age, (at least the first one), was a good example as well, if playing a female character. Morrigan, for example, showcases a deep personality if befriended. This may be lost when playing a male character, though. I do know that most of the male characters were very interesting and well developed, (such as Alistair, who is one of my favorite video game characters ever now), even if the protagonist was romancing them. Perhaps this was different for the girls, though? (I did feel that Leliana was a bit flat...)

Edit: Okay I had a bit of a rant here but decided it wasn't really relevant. To summarize what I had meant, I'm a little bit concerned about the recent trend to make every female a "strong, independent woman" in order to remain inoffensive. Just like with male characters, personalities and strengths vary.

Bumping the thread to say I would like to see a well-thought-out female protagonist in DFA, as well as more female characters in adventure games in general.

Also to share a link to a kickstarter campaign relevant to this topic: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games

Having watched her Tropes vs. Women videos,I have to say this is pretty much the standard,paint-by-numbers feminist rant. She goes over pretty much all the same ground that's been covered by feminists for as long as I can remember. Largely coming off as bitchy and angry that not all female characters are superwomen. Watch for her video games version to a lot to say about Peach and Lara Croft but not even mention Tyrande Whisperwind.

I guess what really cheesed me off about her videos was in the straw feminist one where she sights an episode of the Powerpuff Girls. Basically saying that Femme Fatale is a straw feminist when nothing could be further from the truth. Femme Fatale was a criminal who used feminism as an excuse for her criminal activity. Basically,she was an "oppressed woman" so she deserved to take what she wanted from the "man driven society that oppressed her". She basically skews a lot of things and convinces the girls they're oppressed too. In the end,Miss Bellum,Miss Keen,and some special guests explain to the girls what feminism is really all about and that Femme Fatale is basically a crook with a good line.

So the girls go after FF and basically tell her what they've learned and that they now know her for what she really is. Then they beat her down and take her in. Like they do with any criminal they deal with.

In the end,that episode says a lot more about feminism than this chick is probably comfortable with dealing with. She just didn't get it. Like there's a lot of inequality in the world. So much so that everyone has gotten the shaft in some way. But if one wants to fight for equality,one has to accept being equal,which means no one person is better than another for some arbitrary reason like gender. Too bad she didn't watch the whole episode more carefully,she could've learned something.

I believe the Bechdel Test has a lot to do with the strength of a female character in games.

The Bechdel Test only shows that most writers are male and that Hollywood thinks audiences want white straight male characters above all else. It says nothing about the strength of the female characters.

Case in point:

Run Lola Run (with a strong female character) fails the test.

Most lesbian pron doesn't (or so I've heard).

Anyway, I don't know if she's been mentioned yet, but my favourite female character from a videogame is Raven Puzzlewell (Planescape: Torment). She's so alien, but her motives are so human. I kind of felt guilty about sweet talking her in that maze.

Also, she's the direct inspiration for another good female character: Kreia (KotOR II)- I don't find her quite as interesting and well-rounded, though.

Also also... honourable mention: Grace from Gabriel Knight (especially in Sins of the Fathers). I guess snarky geeks are my kryptonite.

has more than just a single thought going around in their head. i.e. defeat villain, marry hero, eat pizza.

Or Marry Pizza, Defeat Hero and eat Villain

Or Marry Pizza, Defeat Hero and eat Villain

I'd love to see THIS story. Especially the last two bits. :lol:

Sign in to follow this