Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Keet

IDEA - Switching multiple characters (with unique inventory and abilities) to solve the puzzles

The idea I have is somewhat similar to the multi-player part of Portal2, but completely made for single-player.

The way I see it is somewhat similar to the Broken Sword - switching main characters every now and then to unravel the story.

However, it would be nice to make the puzzles more complex so the player has to choose characters within the same area and make them work together to solve the puzzle:

Imagine a haunted house where 3 characters enter at the same time, but get separated.

You will have to control each of them individually to activate hidden mechanisms and reveal traps to help the group survive to the exit of the perilous house.

Also, each character would have their own inventory to create more puzzle options. Or even some special abilities (i.e. read some ancient writings, technical knowledge to work mechanisms and such, forensics knowledge, etc.), which would be something like The Lost Vikings.

What do you think?

Insane idea: characters with different mechanics. Like in the original Gobliiins - only one of the three playable characters had an inventory. He could only carry one item, but still.

That one avoided me unfortunately.

But it seems you're indicating it's similar to the thing I described...

Must try it for sure!

Imagine a haunted house where 3 characters enter at the same time, but get separated.

*imagines Maniac Mansion*

*imagines Maniac Mansion*

Don't shoot me for not playing Day of the Tentacle.

One's never to old to remedy such mistakes... :)

That one avoided me unfortunately.

But it seems you're indicating it's similar to the thing I described...

Must try it for sure!

You certainly must! It's pretty much the game you describe in the OP, but the characters get separated in time, not location. It allows for things like burying a bottle of wine in the past to make vinegar in the present.

This sounds a hair like how Trine works. While I found Trine to be somewhat fun, I did not enjoy the mechanics it employed. The specific way you describe the multi-character scheme is much more tasteful in my opinion. I would love to see how it might work.

I +1 this notion.

Ummm... Did you play Day of the Tentacle?
That is not day of the tentacle. This is exactly how Maniac Mansion was.

Sign in to follow this