Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lina Inverse

Should the game carry a message?

Should the game make a point about something?  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Should the game make a point about something?

• NO - Entertainment only for me
    • YES - An idea lives longer then the game’s playtime

Most things, even pure entertainment, end up having some sort of message if you look for it whether or not the creators intended it. After all, any creative expression will to a certain extent reflect the creator's worldview, and saying "this is what I think the world is like" is a message in and of itself.

Then again, part of the joy of interactive media is that you can let the player express their worldview as well. One of the things I loved about Planescape: Torment is that it constantly asked you "What can change the nature of a man?" - but when it came to the crunch and you had to answer that question, the devs gave you an insane number of choices to respond with. The game made you think about its message but it left you free to propose your own conclusion.

I think this game has already made a great point and inspired loads of people.

Also, if i had kids, i wouldn't want them to play such preachy games. Though i'd be happy if they chose to play adventure games, which actually demands some mental activity and can help them develop their reasoning and reading skills, instead of some generic shooter.

It's fine, but it should be part of the entertainment. No one likes a pretentious and/or preachy message.

If the game needs it, yes... if the game doesn't need it, no.

Since we don't know enough about the game it's gonna be hard to tell. It's too soon to poll this.

Every game has some sort of message, explicit or not. The question should be "Should the game have a conservative/liberal/environmental/tolerance/bullying etcetc message."

Every game has some sort of message, explicit or not. The question should be "Should the game have a conservative/liberal/environmental/tolerance/bullying etcetc message."

You can draw a meaning out of everything yes, but not every game wants to communicate one specific message.

It should carry a message that we should be accepting and tolerant of all people and cultures throughout the world.

Except the Dutch - I just can't stand them.

I am not sure if this is called "message" but I love games where I can emotionally connect to the characters as in "I crave to become a pirate!". To me, there seem to be very few games being emotional in one way or another.

(Well, ...depends on when I start feeling with the characters - I might be a bit incompetent towards this end :D)

Do you wanna play the game just for yourself or do you play it with your kids? Do you want to just to be entertained while playing it or do you think the game should make a point about something?

You don't need to collect ideas for messages the game may have (something like "Save planet Earth", "Violence can't be the answer", "Think - it's not illegal yet") in this thread but may do so.

I think it can be a good idea as long as the game doesn't come off as preachy.

Does anyone remember EcoQuest? It was a pretty good game and had a positive message associated with it but didn't really come across as heavy-handed. I think the fact that the game sprinkled in a lot of humor contributed to that.

There's nothing wrong with preachy. Preaching is art, just like speech writing. It inspires, it makes people think, there are different styles and genres of it, it can stir the soul. People wouldn't be doing it in churches all over the world every week to a collective audience of billions if it wasn't valid.

That said, I don't really want this game to carry a message because that's not Double Fine's MO. But if they want to do that I don't care. Anytime I hear someone preach, I stop and listen, no matter what it's about. Then I'll make up my own mind on whether or not what they're saying seems true. I'm not arrogant enough to assume I know everything or can't learn anything new, so I listen to other people's perspectives, whether they be in a pulpit or behind a game development studio. Whatever platform.

But like I said, I don't think Double Fine is about that. They just seem to want to make fun games for everyone to play, without any sociopolitical or philosophical undertones or overtones. And that's okay too.

if the game does have a message, then I would want it to be a red herring. something that just stays in your inventory the entirety of the game with no practical use or need. Bonus points if it's a type of package and whenever you try to open it there is a message that pops up that says "When the time comes, you will know what to do" Just to mess with everyone's head

Yes, criticize todays Cooperations and their culture through satire. Go after people who trying to profit of the internet without actually understanding the technology or the damage they are doing to society at a large.

This is probably just going to be a repeating trend for my comments but I'm prepared to meet this game on what ever ground they want. Its far more important to me that what every they do they do well. If they want to include a message, themes etc in the game I'm fine with that if they can do it well. If not then that's also fine as long as its done well.

I don't have any issue with it having a message as long as it's conveyed well, and I'm certain that they're capable of doing it well if that's what they want to do.

I voted yes although I think the game is primary. A good game has a story, and a good story has some underlying truth at its heart.

Well of course, once I finished the game I want to feel the urge to go out into the world and practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

I don't have any issue with it having a message as long as it's conveyed well, and I'm certain that they're capable of doing it well if that's what they want to do.

Agreed. Don't forget that Stacking also includes messages about the industrialization.

I think they should just write a good story about something they care about and if it's well-written enough, we'll come up with the message ourselves and write essays about it.

I hope we can do both! We're definitely here to entertain, but I hope the game can be meaningful as well. Whether that's part of the narrative or just a feeling we want to portray, I hope the game will inspire folks in some way.

i hope the message, if there "HAS" to be one, is that a game can be built and published independently, successfully, and repeated. I hope that the game itself is able to be strong enough to prove adventure games aren't only in our hearts, but that they are a genre that deserves attention.

The only message i want to see, is the message that adventure games are back.

I don't really see what there is to debate. As long as it's not heavy handed, "THIS IS THE MESSAGE. LISTEN. IT'S A MESSAGE," I don't really see how a message would detract from the game. A running motif and deeper themes at play would only make the story that much better and stick in the player's mind longer. A point-and-click is all about story, and something that would make the story better is invariably good. Raz's issues and the psychological issues of those around him made Psychonauts that much more memorable. It wasn't just some of the best level design and most hilarious jokes in gaming that made Psychonauts amazing.

Yeah, if it is a subtle message or a fun way of looking at a message, I would be all for it. But I don't want it to be depressing.

Depends on what the message is and how it's portrayed. It shouldn't be something preachy showed down the players throat.

E.g. I'd rather have the protagonist be a "MacGyver" then a "Rambo", solving problems with clever (and also funny/bizarre) solutions rather then violence. That could be seen as a message. But not something that dictates how people should live their life. Also I think a "MacGyver" suits an adventure game better then a "Rambo".

On the other hand, I played Full Throttle and the protagonist was a macho guy and there was fighting scenes and all, still ended up being a great game.

It depends on what it is and how it's done, but for the sake of the poll I'll vote no.

Personally, I tend to feel like developing something with the sole purpose of conveying a message normally ruins the experience and often the fun of it. I would much rather just see DFA just be straight up fun, since that's the reason we all wanted this game in the first place, right?

Besides, as vlanpsion said, this game has already made it's statement about the industry, and it's positive effects are already shining through.

No, but if it should have a point it should be something vital like the golden rule (do unto others as you would have them do unto you).

:edit: Whoever said that it has already put a message across has made a BLOODY good point.

Sign in to follow this