Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
naveenwf

Favourite Monkey Island Game

Which is your favourite Monkey Island Game?  

502 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Monkey Island Game?

• The Secret of Monkey Island
    • Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
    • Curse of Monkey Island
    • Escape from Monkey Island
    • Tales of Monkey Island

LeChuck's Revenge is my #2 pick because it's the longest of the bunch (from what I remember). Curse of Monkey Island though is my personal favorite. Great animation and art, but it was a laugh riot, it was the most funny of all of them.

Before I finished playing Tales, MI2 was my favourite. Then, after Tales (especially Chapter 4), Tales became my favourite. And even though Tales doesn't have as much exploration as MI2 due to its episodic nature, and some puzzles are... questionable (but aren't there always puzzles like that in games? Besides, it's all subjective), what was a big win for me in Tales was the story and characters... mostly the fact that I CARED about them. In Tales, I cared about Guybrush, Morgan, (didn't really care about Elaine that much, lol), really wanted LeChuck to ACTUALLY be a good guy and kept guessing if he is or not until the very last moment... And Winslow was awesome, too. I genuinely wanted to know what will happen next.

And MI2... I played it because it was fun and clever, it had funny characters, funny dialogue, funny situations, funny and cool puzzles. I knew what my goal was at any given time, but I wasn't engrossed in the story, I wasn't questioning myself 'Oh my, what will happen next?', I just kept going to see fun and clever stuff. And there wasn't a single character (except for Guybrush, I guess, because we play as him) that I'd care about. Which kinda works because we do bad shit to a lot of people in MI2. MI2 is still an insanely awesome game, though.

I couldn't agree more. The story of ToMI with the puzzles of MI2 and the graphics of Curse... That would be awsome.

i played MI1 and 2 at quite a young age, so it may be nostalgia, but they are my 2 favourites, 2 slightly above 1, but only slightly, and mostly because I think it was funnier, a better story, and graphics, CMI was good, but I felt it diverged too much from the first 2, also i didn't play it until probably around 2000 or 2001, when I was 14 or 15, so not quite as much nostalgia. I felt like Guybrush's characterisation took a step backwards rather than forwards, and the story was all over the place and had lost some of the charm of the first 2, all that aside, it did look great and the voice acting was top notch, and it was hilarious, Murray was a great addition, but I think the finale kind of sucked.

Don't really need to explain why EMI and TMI are not my favourite, but in short, i felt that EMI took the things I didn't like about CMI and ran with them even further, it was a bit nonsensical in the end, but at least the backgrounds looks beautiful, TMI was hurt mostly because of it's episodic nature, it felt like the story was too loose and I think too long, and each episode was too self contained, i think if they had made the game half as big, but not episodic it would have been a lot better. And by god, that wind sound effect will never leave me.

Curse is beautiful... While it may be a bit of a departure from the first two (including the way it barely even winked at MI2's ending), the music and artwork suck me into the world magically. I have to choose MI2, though. I feel like it did everything that the first game did right while expanding on it in all the right ways, and reaching adventure-game-masterpiece heights. It probably has the best midi soundtrack I'm aware of, great artwork, puzzles, characterization, scope.. It even gives me as much nostalgia as the first game does. Probably more, as that feeling is made richer by the atmosphere of the game itself. Ya, I pick 2.

The first one of course !

In the order :

- The Secret of Monkey Island

- Monkey Island 2 LeChuck's Revenge

- The Curse of Monkey Island

- Tales of Monkey Island

very far behind

- Escape from Monkey Island

ttl agreed

Curse is pretty, but is no one else bothered by the fact that in the first two games Guybrush looks like a man, but in Curse he looks like a teenaged version of Don Knotts? He was WAY too ... necky ... for my taste in Curse, and subsequent games made him just as goofy-looking. i mean, he's a mighty pirate! Look at his beard!

It's really hard for me to pick between MI1, MI2, and CMI. They're all excellent in slightly different ways. I ended up going with MI2 because it's got the best version of the MI theme to start the game off. :-D

I don't get the Tales hate. Admittedly it's not as good as the first three, but it was still pretty good, and captured the flavor of the first game very well, IMO.

I totally get the EMI hate, on the other hand. The Monkey Kombat section at the end was horrid, the 3D graphics of the time just weren't up to the task (they worked in Grim Fandango because all the characters were based on Mexican paper mâché, hence they didn't need to look realistic. Trying to animate actual people on hardware of the time, not so much), and the setting just didn't feel vey piratey. Granted, a lot of the setting problem had to do with the story demanding it, but still. Personally, I didn't hate the game, but I didn't particularly like it, either.

So, my ranking is:

MI2, MI1, CMI -> Tales -> -> -> EMI

I got Secret and LeChuck's Revenge in a LucasArts volume of games that also had a demo for Curse. (It also included Full Throttle and some other gems). My computer was too slow to run Curse properly, but the beautiful artwork and voice acting really won me over. A happy day it was when I finally bought the full Curse, and even after all that built up anticipation, it still didn't let me down.

Big mistake expecting the same quality from Escape - I was disappointed, but it was still reasonably enjoyable. And luckily, Escape really lowered my expectations for Tales, which ended up being quite fun.

I hope Adventure will have gorgeous graphics like Curse did. I don't really understand the appeal of retro pixel graphics - maybe I didn't play enough pixelated games as a child (always had to pay for everything myself on my meager allowance), but I don't get any nostalgia from them. I just see a lack of detail and a small art budget. Bought the HD remake of Secret and Revenge day 1 and couldn't have been happier to find director commentary on my favourite of the two.

Curse is pretty, but is no one else bothered by the fact that in the first two games Guybrush looks like a man, but in Curse he looks like a teenaged version of Don Knotts? He was WAY too ... necky ... for my taste in Curse, and subsequent games made him just as goofy-looking. i mean, he's a mighty pirate! Look at his beard!

I care, it's part of what I meant when I said his characterisation took a step backwards, sure he's only 19 in MI2 but he's at least trying to masquerade as an older guy, in CMI it's like he was at Big Whoop and decided "actually I like being a kid", shaved, got rid of his bad ass coat, and wiped out the entire coming-of-age sub plot of MI1.

It bothers me, just like that the overall character design is very incoherent and not much Monkey Island. That bothers me, and it bothers me that the puzzles are so much worse than in Monkey Island 1&2.

That said though, it´s funny. Murray. "Skull" Island. Great stuff. :)

Yeah that aspect of CMI does niggle at me as well (Guybrush). I've been wishing for Ron to return to the series ever since.

Of course MI2 wins my vote. It was an impulse decision as I really would've wanted to give a vote of confidence to Tales of Monkey Island. I think Tales brought a super fresh take on the world that in some ways transcended the two previous installments.

I think ultimately the problem with Curse is the shift in tone. Yeah, MI1 and 2 were comedies, but there were dark elements. In MI2, LeChuck was sinister as all hell with his plans to submerge people in acid and turn them into screaming chairs. Also the shambling and rotting and the horror.

In Curse, we had scenes that could very well have all ended with the narrator of a rom-com film trailer coming on and saying "Isn't that wacky?" in his smarmiest voice while Walking On Sunshine plays in the background. There's this skull and he's only a skull and he has no special powers, but he thinks he's a terrifying presence in an area filled with voodoo and cannibals and the living dead! Isn't that wacky? LeChuck loves slaw! Isn't that wacky? Guybrush hates porcelain! Why? Just because! Isn't that wacky? Huh? Huh? Isn't it? No. No it isn't. Because these are obviously different characters. LeChuck told Largo in MI2 that he wouldn't have any problems getting rid of his most trusted henchman of many years if he became nothing but a hindrance. Faced with a similar situation, the CoMI LeChuck would probably threaten to tickle his difficult henchperson with a feather and it would be SO WACKY.

It's very much the same difference as the one between the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books and the 2005 film:

Books: Everyone Arthur Dent has ever known and cared about is dead and his planet destroyed. Marvin is a robot whose entire existence is misery. Everything kind of sucks and everyone is in mortal peril. Oh and there's humor, too. And it's dark humor purely by association.

Film: DOLPHIN MUSICAL NUMBER!!!

Actually I used to still like Curse despite all this, until recently. How recently? I can tell you the exact moment. It was when the Monkey Island 2 HD remake came out. And "I will make a chair out of your living bones and listen to them scream" LeChuck was voiced by "MORE SLAW" LeChuck's voice actor. And that's how CoMI ruined the MI2 HD remake. And I didn't much like milquetoast-Guybrush's voice actor in the role of MI2 Guybrush, either.

MI2 has to take it for me. The first game was excellent but the sequel improved on it. Curse was great too, almost as good as MI1. I also enjoyed ToMI, it had some clever puzzles and it was just nice to be playing a good Monkey Island game again. Escape is obviously the low point, even though I did enjoy playing it.

Sign in to follow this