Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

LucasArts vs. Sierra: FIGHT!

7-easy-boxing-counters.jpg

Heh ... i know this is a really tired argument, but if there's any place to discuss it, THIS IS IT!

Sierra On-Line and (then) LucasFilm were rivals in the heyday of graphic adventure games, back when Coke and Pepsi were duking it out for cola supremacy. Do you consider yourself a Sierra or LucasArts player? Or are you agnostic? And if you side strongly with either company, what's your reasoning?

DING DING DING goes the boxing bell!

- Ryan

Played both, but in the end I really was a LucasArts kid - and now all grown up, think I would probably still be that way

Growing up I never felt inclinded to pick a side, but I definitely bought a lot more Sierra games than Lucas. Of course Sierra published a lot more adventure games than Lucas did. My favorite adventures were Space Quest IV and V, Sam and Max, and Under a Killing Moon. Never got into Monkey Island back then.

Now I've played a lot more of both, and I feel like LucasArts was more consistent, with better art and animation, but Sierra at their best (Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry especially) can still rival what Lucas did. I love Sierra narrators as well.

I'm most definitely in the LucasArts camp. Monkey Island games are the best, plus Tim did some awesome work there.

You can't make me choose between The Fate of Atlantis and the Kings Quest series. I won't do it! They were both fantastic. (KQ8 aside.)

I didn't like Sierra games that much due to the whole death thing. Being punished for not saving / going into a room with an auto-killing wizard isn't very fun to me.

I liked Lucas Arts approach to things much better. Monkey Island 2 and The Fate of Atlantis were the pinnacle of the point-and-click for me.

I always prefer LucasArts, all games of Lucas are excellent before Escape from Monkey Island... Haha :)

But many games of Sierra are amazing.

My personal favourite Sierra Games is "Space Quest 5".

LucasArts did not have the talents of Jane Jenson at their disposal, but apart from that, Sierra can't really compare to LA.

Oh, the Laura Bow games were quite fun too, but their "Quest" series were too often ruined by the silly, frustrating deaths.

I like a lot of Sierra games, but only Gabriel Knight and Laura Bow would I consider stand-out games.

LA, on the other hand, had DoTT, Full Throttle, at least 3 Monkey Island games, Grim Fandango.

Sierra is owned by Vivendi, whose evil is only surpassed by EA.

Even Star Wars-milking LA is better than that.

They only absorbed Sierra sometime during the mid-00's though, plus it's pretty dismissive of some great people in adventure games, like Ken and Roberta Williams and Al Lowe.

Overall I think I may have gotten more enjoyment from LucasArts games because I could play without fretting over dead-ends, but King's Quest is probably my favorite game franchise. Monkey Island I was a great game, but the graphics (except for the up-close face shots), music, and sound effects were only average and there was no voice acting, King's Quest 5 was release the same year and had beautiful hand painted backgrounds, full voice-acting, better sound and music, and an arguably more user-friendly UI. Conversely, in 1993 LA released Day of the Tentacle and Sierra released Police Quest: Open Season, so I don't think either company is better than the other, but they peaked at different points in time.

I have many a fond memory of playing Sierra games back in the day... Police Quest, Space Quest (probably my fav), King's Quest, Hero's Quest, and even Leisure Suit Larry... although I was probably too young to be playing that last one. :) Probably messed me up for life...!

Lucas Arts did a good job too though - Full Throttle was probably my favorite LA title... followed closely by the Monkey Island series!

So, I think Sierra would win... but just because they release so many more adventure titles than Lucas Arts.

Given where you're asking this question I can see that this will heavily skew towards LucasArts! Personally I prefer Sierra though. KQVI and the first Gabriel Knight are two of my favorite games of all time (hooray Jane Jensen!)

Yeah, Jane Jensen rules. And Sierra definitely win the "Which company made the MOST adventure games?" battle. EcoQuest, Police Quest, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Quest For Glory, Laura Bow, Leisure Suit Larry, Phantasmagoria, Gabriel Knight, Goblins...All these AND their three dozen or so sequels and remakes. Plus Mixed Up Mother Goose, Conquest of the Longbow, Freddy Pharkus, Willy Beamish...

For mine, I'm not sure Gabriel Knight games reach the pure creative, artistic heights of Grim Fandango. The level of imagination on display in that game trumps Jensen's wonderfully scripted, tensely atmopsheric horror stories.

But each their own, really. I rather love 'em all.

it was, now both has been bought and merged with Activision.

i still fear at night that a thing like "Call Of Duty: King's/Space Quest" may appear outta nowhere

I grew up on Sierra games and I definitely have more fond memories of them than any LucasArts ones. Quest for Glory probably still ranks as one of my favorite series of all time and I still play through them pretty regularly. I still can't believe John Rhys-Davies did narration for QFG4. Not to say that I dislike LucasArts games, I think they're great too but most I didn't get a chance to play until a little later in life after their popularity had peaked.

On the LA side, I think The Dig is my favorite. I actually did get to play that one in my childhood and I loved it then and I love it now.

I didn't enjoy most Sierra games (for example I liked Space Quest V, VI - Larry V, VI), but I loved most LucasArts games... this choice is simple for me :). LUCASARTS

Yeah, played both as well. Space Quest came before the SCUMM-games. Sierra's games were fun, but obtuse and unforgiving as hell, so when I discovered a different team doing the same kind of games, only you could play these games leisurely and figure everything out as you go without ending up stranded in the end for missing something earlier on, I couldn't really play the old AGI and SCI-games anymore. You could say Sierra made some experimental precursors in the genre, and LucasArts perfected it.

it was, now both has been bought and merged with Activision.

i still fear at night that a thing like "Call Of Duty: King's/Space Quest" may appear outta nowhere

Actually that could be a funny weirdo game ;). I'd buy it.

For me it's Lucas Arts all the way. Every time I wanted to play a good adventure, I picked something from LA catalogue, because I like the humour and original locations.

I almost played all the LucasArts adventures and missed out on the Sierra titles. Tried Kings Quest 1, Police Quest 1 and Goldrush in my young days but never got far. Only played through Gabriel Knight 1 and 2 just some months ago. I have many Sierra titles in my GoG shelf however, so I might try some of them at one point.

Both companies have great titles in their days, and I've played most of them. I enjoyed "Space Quest V" and "Monkey Island 2". But you can't judge by the user interface, take like examples "King's Quest V" and "Loom". Both were launched at 1990, and the former is technologically better in every aspect than the latter, but "Loom" had "this thing" that "King's Quest V" lacked. I think it's about the story and the way it's told, and for this subject, LucasArts is a better storyteller.

While I very much enjoyed Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island and Indiana Jones, I got my real start on PC with text only games like Adventure and "Roguelike" games such as LARN. Regardless of all that, I loved the cinematic flair of the Phantasmagoria I and II games. From the very beginning of the second one, you know it's going to be crazy.

LucasArts wins for quirky fun, but Sierra was good at creepy.

I can honestly say that I have no preference. I own most of the adventure games from both camps and it's hard to really pick one over the other. Both of them had great games that sucked my time away and caused me to get fired from unimportant jobs on at least two separate occasions. So no preference, I'm just glad to have them (Except kings Quest 8... we won't talk about that... ever).

Sign in to follow this