Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stiler

What type of setting would you like? (Historical, futuristic, surreal, etc).

I'm just wondering for the game what type of setting people prefer to see? In terms of the overall games setting.

For example, would you like to see the game set in a more historical area like the Monkey island games (even though it was fictional obviously, but it was still set in a 18th century like pirate setting in the Caribbean) or a more surreal setting like Grim Fandango or something else?

I'd love to see a more surreal setting myself, that's open to more wacky artistic creations and things they could do with it.

I'd really like to see something Steampunk. You don't see much of that.

A Girl Genius (web comic) or late Victorian (post-industrial revolution) vibe could be very interesting. Combine that with the Double Fine magic and they could take it to some very interesting places.

Silly anachronistic fictional version of a historical time place/period like Monkey Island, yes. With a surreal element added.

I'd like to see Tim Schafer's take on a distantly futuristic setting, if I could choose anything. But hey, I'm sure they'll pick something cool.

I would also like to see Tim Schafer's take on a futuristic setting, although, I wouldn't mind something in different time periods with different styles - sort of like day of the tentacle.

Isaac Asimov themed.

A post apocalyptic world of robots, and you're the only human left, trying to find a time machine.

I'd like to see a gritty dystopian future, mostly because I see a lot of potential for humor from that setting while still having a more serious tone to the main plot

I want there atleast be some type of trip(LCD, sugar, mushrooms, dream or like) in it ;D So surreal.

I'd like to see them take on something outside the established canon of settings (sci-fi, fantasy, historical, whatever-punk), which Tim Schafer pretty much always does. I'm hopeful.

I'd really like to see something Steampunk. You don't see much of that.

A Girl Genius (web comic) or late Victorian (post-industrial revolution) vibe could be very interesting. Combine that with the Double Fine magic and they could take it to some very interesting places.

I like steampunk (and I like Girl Genius) but it's been kind of "the thing" for awhile and there is a glut of steampunk fiction and games in the world these days (most of it not done right at all!) Tim always manages to come up with unusual settings for his games, I imagine he'll do the same with this one.

How about something completely different, like most Double Fine games?

Seriously, whatever Tim and Co comes up with will be fine by me. Probably. ;)

A graveyard. Mm, now I want to read The Graveyard Book. >_o

/random

I'm honestly stumped with this one! A convenience store/thrift shop/tree fort... I think DF could make pretty much anything work. I'm so darned excited to see where the story ends up taking place- maybe even more excited than I am about the characters themselves!

Tim Schafer has an excellent track record of coming up with interesting and unique settings for his games. I trust DFA will be no different in this regard.

Would like to see something historical. Realistic, not to wacky but a little doesn't hurt

We'll probably be completely blindsided by whatever the setting is. I like Tim's tendency to make the fantastical out of the mundane in his games (A summer camp... for psychics! A travel agency... in the land of the dead!), so I suspect that whatever it is, it'll have a brilliant twist added to it to make it unique.

(A summer camp... for psychics! A travel agency... in the land of the dead!),

Psht, stealing my posts eh? :P Fie on you sir!

No, seriously, I agree with this strongly as I've already expressed, and really hope that DFA goes beyond the standardized settings into something original and bizarre.

(A summer camp... for psychics! A travel agency... in the land of the dead!),

Psht, stealing my posts eh? :P Fie on you sir!

No, seriously, I agree with this strongly as I've already expressed, and really hope that DFA goes beyond the standardized settings into something original and bizarre.

You caught me red handed! Seriously, though, I couldn't think of a better way to put it myself. :)

I'd like to see them take on something outside the established canon of settings (sci-fi, fantasy, historical, whatever-punk), which Tim Schafer pretty much always does. I'm hopeful.

I agree with this, mostly, although there are some historical geographic eras that are less overused than others, the ancient Aztec aspect of Grim Fandango was a welcome change to pseudo-mdieval fantasy. I've never really been into steampunk cyberpunk edwardianpunk type stuff, and the futuristic dystopia setting seems to feature all too prominently in almost every genre.

There's a really good track record for non-comformist settings here, and I'd love to see that continued. Keep imagining!

I think a Tim Schafer take on a distant future thing, like someone mentioned earlier, would be quite interesting.

Getting shifted between alternate realities would make for some interesting surreal possibilities as well--you could even represent the different realities with graphical themes, such as one being 8-bit, one where everyone is a sock puppet, and so on. Going even further, the protagonist and his/her possessions could change to take on the properties of what reality they're in, giving them different capabilities and uses depending on the dimension. Granted, that's all just a bunch of crazy-talk I just spewed off the top of my head, but whatever.

I would love to see a Double Fine Sci-Fi game in space, like a colony on Europa. That's Jupiter's 6th moon for those who don't know.

As a huge science fiction fan, I like all the sciences fiction stuff (realistic univers, as Twelve Monkeys, or exagerating ones, like Futurama or Star Trek). If this game could take place on this kind of atmosphere, I would be a happy player :P

I'm not narrow minded : "Steampunk is always welcome", as JelDeRebel noticed it !

Its all about Ganymede :)

but yeah, i love scifi, surreal and steampunk although im happy with whatever setting because they all have their own merits and could all be totaly interesting and unique

Sign in to follow this