Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stiler

What type of setting would you like? (Historical, futuristic, surreal, etc).

I think I'd like to see either a Victorian-era Steampunk setting or a futuristic setting as well. However, in Tim (and the rest of Double Fine) I trust. I also agree with many of the above posters to keep it (sur)real!

At first glance I thought you wrote "Vietnam-era Steampunk setting."

Sounds legit.

the thing to remember is that double fine loves to mess around with genre, their fantasy epic was a heavy metal world full of chrome, hot rods, and twisted vinyl coated creatures. any genre they do is going to be twisted into amazingness. that said (letting lose the little frothing fan boy in me) i would love to see what they did with steam-punk, because it wouldn't be like any other steam-punk game out their.

I love me some steam punk, but I also wouldn't mind a really retro futuristic setting that's akin to the 1950's, Tomorrowland ideal of what the future might be. You know, colorful flying cars speeding across the moon, robot dogs, hot dog stands on Mars, the whole smear. The big thing I want to this game to get across is the ideal of adventure itself. Seeing as how this may be the last big adventure game for a while, we need a setting that is going to encapsulate the feeling of busting out into new territory and exploring the unexplored.

I'm with KillerFish on this: magical surreal moving from history into future in a cyberpunk sort of way with magical swords and stuff but not without the humor because after all that is what binds it all!

I would love to see some '50/'60 "film noir" styled adventure, in a realistic way. I love that for the cinematography and art!

A game that takes place in the modern bay area, with characters who work at a sausage factory in San Francisco called Fouble Dine.

Not too meta at all.

Google search on what is often asked for in this thread (steampunk, surreal) revealed for example these pictures:

Steampunk - Stephane Halleux

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/jon-foster#!/photos/98030/4

http://www.polyvore.com/flying_into_surreal_steampunk_world/set?id=14868016

http://coilhouse.net/2008/06/fantastic-contraption-artist-stephane-halleux/

And a great film A Deadly Invention by Karel Zeman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll8Tj3FFDf4

A game that takes place in the modern bay area, with characters who work at a sausage factory in San Francisco called Fouble Dine.

Not too meta at all.

There's a restaurant in the Castro district of SF called The Sausage Factory. What if they work there? Close enough?

I'd say not to distant future. Like Full Throttle.

Actually, just make Full Throttle 2 thanks!

I don't know what type of era or surreal world. i only want a humoristic game an NOT look like a flash videogame i want pixels like a first.

I kill for a Maniac Mansion 3 or a lucasarts crossover game... mixing caracters and worlds of all classics lucas adventures. I like to see Ben from full throttle talking with largo la grande from monkey island.

I think it should be what the artist/s think they can do better, a crazy/strange world based on reality would be cool

I'm happy to put 100% faith in Tim and the team on this one - I'd be incredibly surprised if we didn't get something fairly surreal anyway. This is one aspect of the game where I *really* wouldn't want us to have any influence at all on the decision.

The setting and story should be something that they are passionate to work on, a story they want to tell. Even if every single backer, including me, wanted a specific setting I'd still want them to stick to their guns; the passion for story and setting really shines through in all Tim & Ron's previous games and I'd hate to see them working on something they have no interest in.

I'd like to see a western cowboy setting or a medieval Europe. or medieval in space..space knights.

I forget who said it and I can't find the orignal post (guy with the dancing Chewbacca) but furniture store is honestly still my favorite idea so far... so surreal? I guess?

My favorite games have always been ones that take place in a more or less modern setting (Leisure Suit Larry, Earthbound, Maniac Mansion, Longest Journey, etc.). Medieval settings are horribly boring and overdone, futuristic sci-fi seems promising but almost always falls flat, and gritty post-apocalyptic wasteland makes my eyelids droop just typing it.

These settings often seem to get used since they are ways of preventing the player from having access to ordinary items that would easily solve their puzzles, and so they seem rather lazy in adventure games. It doesn't mean the characters have to be boring everyday types, or that weird things shouldn't happen, but I'd be disappointed a bit if the designers just fell back on some standard movie genre rather than a modern sort of setting.

A surreal gritty factory setting set in in the middle of a fantastical forest would be just as fun to look at as it would be to play for me.

Steampunk, Future, Surreal... I think they'll manage to do something just fine but yeah one of those :D

Great to see that so many go for the surrealist thing.

I'd also like a bit of the Freudian element that makes Tim's work so unique. It's always like you travel to the center of your soul.

In terms of style, how about things being *anti*-3D? A bit like the real world snack bar in Grim Fandango? A bit like Picasso? Post Steam Punk?

I think A futuristic or horror setting. Or a mixture of both. Futuristic sounds swell too. But I would Love a horror themed point and click, regardless of if its scary or not.

Ultimately any setting would work if the specifics are original, but there's a great opportunity here for a truly original game and it kind of feels like a cop-out to me to just pick from a list of 'cool' genres. I feel like if you can define the setting in one word, it's probably a weak choice (such as Steampunk). By the time a genre has established it's conventions enough for that to be possible, those conventions are clichés. Try finding the one-word genre\setting descriptor for Grim Fandango. It's hard to do because the game was more unique than that. Even though Steampunk is less ubiquitous than generic fantasy and marines vs. aliens sci-fi, it's still reasonably common. Admittedly, any of these ideas could be a starting point for something more unique, though. I would never expect Double Fine to make a generic game.

Surreal is something I can get behind. The possibilities are enormously open, and surreality suggests a strong art-style, which suggests a setting unique enough to call for one. I'll get behind anything that is unique and distinctive, any attempt to coin something new. I'm also a HUGE fan of reality-bending things, abstraction, symbolism, weirdness in general.

Not sold on horror (I can think of no more drab a setting than dark rooms with blood and a murder mystery to solve. bleh. Surely the scares would only last one play-through anyway). Futuristic is very open and could be very interesting. Full Throttle was leaning a little in the futuristic direction.

Try finding the one-word genre\setting descriptor for Grim Fandango.

Noir.

Only saying it because I'm sure someone would have :)

I agree with what you're saying though, I wouldn't want something generic either (and also wouldn't expect that from Double Fine). As I said earlier in the thread, I'd be very surprised if the game wasn't fairly surreal coming from these guys anyway.

Give us history, we had enough of future. Anthology or dark middle age, i don't care, but there isn't much interesting thing in future (although i know that Tim and Ron could make elephant from ant, but lets seek wellspring of knowledge, in past). ;)

History so strong,

History so strong.

Sign in to follow this