Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stiler

What type of setting would you like? (Historical, futuristic, surreal, etc).

Current.

I'd like to see Double Fine Adventure styled with exagerations of current figures, events, fashion and tech so it ages horribly and in future retrospect is a snapsot of this moment in time.

For those wanting a dystopian future: play Beneath a Steel Sky (it's free)

For those wanting a space themed game: wait for Stasis the game (it's an indie adventure game in development)

For those wanting a steampunk game: aren't you guys confusing adventure games with the Arcanum RPG? ;) I like steampunk but I don't see it fitting in an adventure game.

I'd love to see a crazy game set in the world from where Double Fine's double-headed mascot comes from. That would give room for anything to happen.

An alternative would be for a game set in today's world where you're an envoy from the future and are trying to avoid an Aldous Huxley's Brave New World type of thing where your mission is to stop people from getting instant gratification from FPS like Call of Fruity, and instead have them stimulate their brains by playing adventure games. (maybe a bit too Zak Mckraken alike)

mmm... or maybe you're yourself from today and are sent to the 90s to save the adventure game genre :)

Of course I'd also love a sci-fi game or a archeologist's adventure, but I guess it's hard to shrug off the ideas of Space Quest or Indiana Jones :/

"or maybe you're yourself from today and are sent to the 90s to save the adventure game genre :) ," by killing John Carmack?

heheh :D

I like the way you think ;)

But really, I think having this time travel from today to the 90s would be a great trip down the memory lane, and a great way to pay homage to the old adventure games and the people that made them.

A steam-punk Cyberpunk mix.

Monocled hackers and a steam powered internet.

Airships and Cyborgs.

Assassins with top hat and canes.

See the Shadowrun kickstarter page ;)

I just hope they don't make a facebook game out of it.

I really liked the 50s scramble, qubismo look of the real world in the beginning of Grim Fandango...

Crazy surrealism!!! Riding long-legged elephants with a melting clock as a saddle, as you lift the skin of the sea and stop Venus for an instant from waking Love.

Or something.

cyberpunk.

you can call me biased, because I love near sci-fi stories like Blade Runner, Beneath A Steel Sky, Deus Ex, Ghost In The Shell, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex etc...

However, cyberpunk allows surreal sci-fi especially with "The Net" or "The Matrix" like worlds. a Tron like world which you can bend reality and shape the visuals however you want.

I'd like modern-realism to be the setting, I think this is used far too little in none GTA-clones and Military FPS games, I like walking around cities and such and imagine that I could actually be in such a place. Maybe that's just me though.

DFA probably has this panned already, but I always thought an adventure game based on the "mad scientests technologist" would make a fun adventure game. much like Beaker from the Muppets, or any other lab based character on the big screen, it always seems that the group of scientests that are left alone with the deadly alien, disposing of the toxic chemicals or getting thrown in bizzar dimensions are always the nameless lab techs, while the DR.s usually watch amused as their 13 dolllar an hour goon gets disintegrated.

The future might be interesting but a retro sort of 80s future might be fun too. Since it's a throwback adventure game type that's intended. I'd love for it to start with interesting characters first though and then you can toss them into any sort of crazy setting that DF can come up with. So long as it's a captivating world, not matter what.

A zombie apocalypse setting comedy adventure game might be fun as well.

I'd like to see a gritty dystopian future, mostly because I see a lot of potential for humor from that setting while still having a more serious tone to the main plot

If DoubleFine created a video game in the same vein as Brazil, though perhaps slightly lighter of heart and with a more widely palatable ending, that'd be a really amazing game!

Quirky, visually stunning, darkly funny dystopian alternative-reality or future. Rock on.

For those who have never seen this great film, here are a few small screenshots:

brazil2.jpg

brazil3.jpg

brazil1.jpg

brazil5.jpg

brazil4.jpg

Can't you just see places similar in theme to those, lovingly drawn in 2D goodness?

Plus, it might be nice to see what doublefine can do if they're making a game which is still fun and humorous, but whose core issues are more thought-provoking and multi-dimensional.

I'd like to see Double Fine's take on the modern era. Fill it with pop culture and make it feel relevant to today.

By this I mean, say you start the game in a "modern" looking apartment building, but your landlord happens to be a talking unicorn.

I would love more time travelling. But really anything is fine by me. Gilbert N Schafer seems to have a strong card whenever they do something funny, so whatever they do it should be funny as an end result. But not necessarily drenched in it. Monkey Island 1 is an example of a game that appears serious - but at closer glance is hilarious.

Future, History. All is awesome. Since Ancient History is my favorite, I would love to see them make a game set in that era.

Whatever it ends up being, I want it to be a LONG game.

I know Ron Gilbert didn't want to make it long but.. ;)

I would like to see something odd and somewhat unique. The first thing that comes to mind is anthropomorphic animals in a wild setting (a la Jungle Book or Madagascar).

Like Metropolis.

I'd love that (and I'm sure Fritz Lang would too ;))

Eh, I'm not surprised to see so many people saying they'd like it to be futuristic/sci-fi/steam-punk etc, but not me.

I'd quite like to see it set in woodland, and for the protagonist to be a squirrel or a badger.

Have to say... Steampunk feels a bit too 'trendy' to me. Maybe 12 years ago, but nowadays there are too many people hijacking it in order to be part of the 'in-crowd'.

My favorite kind of setting is one where it's next to reality, but not in it. If you get my meaning. American Gods is a good reference for what I mean, or even The Longest Journey in a weird way (despite being Sci-fi in the main story). I love stories that are grounded in an almost reality, but so much of the action of the story takes place just outside of it. Behind a curtain that only a select few get to see. Trolls running the "adults only" section of a video store, Dwarves building entire cities just off of main Subway lines, that sort of thing.

It's not what I expect out of DoubleFine, but to answer the question it is most definitely my favorite sort of setting.

I would love for it to be set in the not too distant future where the current economic crisis has deepened causing a global revolution of the people, who are fed up with government lies, wars, austerity and corporate media control, to rise up. The hero would be a hapless and Threepwoodesque character who is oblivious to whats going on around him/her. Somehow he/she gets confused as a revolutionary by the repressive government and somehow he/she inadvertently saves the revolution somehow.

BTW, if it's not clear, I lean slightly to the left . . . just a little.

I would love for it to be set in the not too distant future where the current economic crisis has deepened causing a global revolution of the people, who are fed up with government lies, wars, austerity and corporate media control, to rise up. The hero would be a hapless and Threepwoodesque character who is oblivious to whats going on around him/her. Somehow he/she gets confused as a revolutionary by the repressive government and somehow he/she inadvertently saves the revolution somehow.

I'm with you here! We're well on the way to such a future already. Would be funny if one could combine such Dystopic features with that of Mike Judge's brilliant sci-fi comedy "Idiocracy."

But I think Schafer and DF has already done some labor/revolution stuff before with Grim Fandango and Stacking.

I'm with you here! We're well on the way to such a future already. Would be funny if one could combine such Dystopic features with that of Mike Judge's brilliant sci-fi comedy "Idiocracy."

But I think Schafer and DF has already done some labor/revolution stuff before with Grim Fandango and Stacking.

Yeah, they've already touched on it in a few DF games. Liberating the headbangers in Brütal Legend springs to mind. One of many reasons why I love DF games.

I think it would be quite apt though. Here a section of the gaming community have thrown off the shackles of repressive publishers so a game with a similar vibe, throwing off the shackles of a repressive of society, would work well.

I would love to play a game set in ancient greece. There is so much iconic imagery to use (and make fun of).

Socrates (arguing with him would be fun), Archimedes in the bath tub, Spartans, gods, Odysseus etc.

I want something humorous.

The one thing Tim is renowned for is his humour.

I love the cartoony look and wouldn't mind if it was piratey too! :coolsmile:

They had pirates in the ancient world too! .. Just different.. ._.

Many serious scenes could be made funny. For example, as the Romans are taking over Syracuse, Archimedes is concentrating on drawing a perfect circle in the sand. In reality the Romans just killed him right then and there. The inventor of Pi = 3.14. But what if there were 2 goofy romans standing there, scratching their heads, not sure what to do with this strange obsessed man drawing a circle in the sand. And the player, protagonist, enters the scene as the Romans are staring and Archimedes drawing - oblivious to the Romans. Many interesting situations.

Spartans used to be very attentive to their hair. Combing, and braiding it. Shaving the moustache. This could also be made into a funny thing.

Like the barbershop pirates in MI3 :D

something in space...not serious sci-fi but with a space station, a planet, ships, aliens, pirates, hookers, fortunists, corporations...a little criticism of today's society put in a larger context, context wise maybe like in the simpsons intro where they zoom out til the next universe or the futurama where they forward time till the universe starts all-over again ;)

Sign in to follow this