Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stargazer

Should Double Fine allow new backers to enter through PayPal?

So the Kickstarter campaign might be over, but that does not mean Double Fine has to stop fund-raising.

A lot of people wanted to join in, but were unable to do so for a variety of reasons, usually not wanting to sign up for yet another service to get a pre-paid credit card. There were also those who had problems processing their payment. Now, these lost souls are left in the cold and dark, looking with tear-filled deary eyes towards a forum they can't see, a documentary they won't witness, and an adventure they can't take part in for at least another year.

It does not have to be that way. Double Fine can still let those people into the warmth and joy. How? PayPal! Most folks have a PayPal account that can be directly tied to their bank, so no need for debit/credit cards.

My suggestion is that people can use PayPal to keep signing up for the first three reward tiers, since those are digital and should be easiest to parse and deliver:

$15 - The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux, or via Steam for PC and Mac, exclusive access to the Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.

$30 - HD download of the documentary series with extras, Digital game soundtrack, Digital documentary soundtrack, and all previous reward tiers.

$60 - PDF version of the Double Fine Adventure Book (filled with 100+ full color pages of concept art, original photos, developer bios, excerpts from the game’s script, deep dark secrets, and more!), and all previous reward tiers!

I realize that the development budget is probably locked by now, but I'd say it couldn't possibly hurt to make a little extra on the side. Never know if you would ever face stuff like budget overruns, or delays. Could be nice to have a money-buffer to fall back on in an emergency. Maybe the extra creds' could be used for some of Double Fine's other projects too (I still want Brutal Legend on the PC, Tim!).

Pros:

+ Mo' Moolah Mon! Moolah good!

+ Leave no man (or woman) behind

+ Would ease the pressure of some to keep from leaking

+ I'd be awesome.

Cons:

Only thing I can think of is that DF did kinda promise the rewards would be exclusive to the backers. Well, these would be new backers! Still exclusive, sure. For them as well.

Naturally, it goes without saying that this is entirely up to Double Fine. We are not deciding anything with this poll, it's just a suggestion which I would like to forward to the consideration of the community. So, whatdoyathink?

Edit:

In the first iteration of this post I made the false assumption that DF uses PayPal in their store. They don't. This has now been corrected. My mistake.

Edit #2:

To be clear, I'm suggesting selling the experience - access to the forums and the documentary. Think of it like a pre-order option, rather than continued fund-raising like said above.

IMO, there is no point in going back to the funding stage. The project has already moved to preproduction, and from there it should only go fordward. A lot of things must come into place when planning a complex project like this is, and they mostly depend of knowing exactly how much money you have for everything task that need to be undertaken.

People that cound't contribute to the funding, because of KS limitations, will have their chance to the get game, the documentary and the rest of the merchandise in a variaty of platforms and price ranges once the game is released, which is not that bad as halting the project for an indetermined amount of time for everybody else.

I'm sure they will come up with nice pre-ordering offers and things like that, in only a few month, but that will be considered SALES, not FUNDS.

So please consider adding this huge CON to your list:

- Project can't progress to production until budget is closed.

I agree with post #2. The funding is now over and the project is now moving forward. If they reopen funding for the game, it's essentially a step back from where they are at now.

The media has been covering the whole double fine kickstarter process since it basically cut out publishers and proved to be a huge success. Even my local NPR station (Chicago's WBEZ) talked about the doublefine kickstarter. I think it might look bad to the public if double fine were to reopen funding since it's basically saying, we want more funding than the 3.3 million we already collected - even though we said we only needed 400,000 to make the game.

People missed out on funding the game, yes...but that doesn't mean that the game won't be available for them to purchase.

While I myself was panicking a bit updating payment details in the final minutes, and therefore understand the frustration of those who didn't make it,

A) DF is a company, not a charity, and getting some proper sales would be good.

B) As other people were commenting, funding needs to stop eventually so DF knows the dev budget.

As I said in my OP; yes the devbudget is locked, but I'm suggesting selling the experience; you know, access to the forums and documentary. Just like you would sell a pre-order so to speak.

I guess me calling it continued fund-raising was a mistake, as it gave the wrong impression..

B) As other people were commenting, funding needs to stop eventually so DF knows the dev budget.

good point I did not think of that

Admin DF Greg posted a response to a similar question on the public KickStarter forum a few days ago: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6047/P45/#191579

If you don't want to head there, here's the quote in its entirety:

"We have to respect our original backers and the pledges they made. For this reason, we won’t be selling the shirts, posters, art book, or collector’s edition of the game after the project is complete. We will however be making both the game and documentary available for purchase for those who may have missed out on the first go round. They just won’t be able to get all the sexy extras the backers do!"

Edit: While the quote is aimed more toward the "Collector's Edition" side of things, it seems to indicate the backing phase is well and truly over. Of course, I could be wrong and I don't want to put words in anyone else's mouth... err... keyboard... err... :)

They can't rely on income from this point forward now that the kickstarter campaign is over, meaning they can't forecast for additional features and stuff on the presumption that they'll still be taking in a set amount of money. If they can't forecast and plan for the extra money, they might as well not even have it. I mean obviously more money is better, but all that additional money would do now is allow for... nicer extras? Maybe? Like a really cool image for the main menu? haha. I don't even know what you'd do with it, but it couldn't be anything substantial.

Imo the more money and people they can get into the project before its done the better, they can use more money to make the game, ofc they might and will probably sell less games when its done. But its gonna be nice to know how much money you have, and it must be better to get as many customers as you can before the game is done, that way you dont have to worry about earning enough money, because you only spend as much as people already paid you.

That sounds like Win / win to be.

Do I want the game to be as awesome as possible?

Yes.

Do I care about backer forum access becoming less exclusive (if you can call 87K exclusive)?

No.

The more money DF get, the more resources they have to put into the game, the better the end product is likely to be. I'm all for it.

Edit: Oh it got semi-necro'd....sorry, didn't notice.

No. You had a month to do it, their loss.

"I tried to back, but I just couldn't get my payment method to work."

"I was a really big fan of the games back in those days, but I just don't follow gaming news these days, so I didn't hear about it until just now."

"I wanted to back, but there were some really major things going on in my personal life at the time, and I was just far too distracted, as much as I really want to take part."

"I've been out of the country for that whole time, and I wasn't really keeping up with the news as a result. I got back just after the deadline had passed."

"I heard about it, but didn't really pay much attention because I didn't really know who Tim Schafer was. But then I found out Tim Schafer was the guy behind FULL THROTTLE and GRIM FANDANGO, and I love those games. I didn't know this was that, so now I really want to back!"

"I was having some really serious financial problems when it was going on, and I couldn't afford even a cent. Those are fixed now, so I'd be happy to back!"

And so on. The world doesn't revolve around you. There are lots of of legit reasons why someone might not have got to do it in that month.

Sign in to follow this