Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cohobin

Backer-only steam/ps3/xbox360, etc. achievements in game?

Hmm maybe just some small nice backers DLC?

oh hell to the no!

i want the full complete adventure game with no extra dlc stuff.

I would be okay with 1 Achievement, exclusive for backers. Anymore is a waste of effort. ALso I don't even know how they would implement such a thing...

STEAM achievements are a must for the game.

Achievements would be fine, but exclusive achievements would not. I'd prefer there not be any "exclusive backer" achievements. Even worse, how would you track that? It's another layer of "Oh Dear God What Has Science Done".

I can support the achievements, as they're completely and utterly useless and mean nothing to me. However, any even slightest bonuses for pre-order or being a backer, etc. I don't support .. in the recent years one of the things I have grown to hate the most is the store-specific bonuses .. "buy from us and get a free sniper rifle" etc.

Let everyone get the exact same game, but if enough people care, it's fine to give us backers some achievement or similar useless little piece of "glory".

It's true that you can't avoid achievements on PSN and Xbox but there's no reason to have achievements in the PC version. Achievements have no place in story-driven singleplayer games.

Games used to be about discovering things for yourself and being rewarded by the experience of playing, not by a meaningless virtual pat on the back.

At the very least, if you're going to have achievements, include an option to force turn off all notifications, even on PS3. (because Sony still doesn't let you turn off Trophy pop-ups)

I think that while I enjoy achievements sometimes, I don't really know how they'd fit in an Adventure game. It's not exactly an instant-action type of gameplay, so the achievement system would be very jarring at points. Perhaps if they were implemented as in Heavy Rain, or a few other titles, where they were delayed until the end of a sequence or chapter in the game.

As for exclusives, I hate them with a passion. While I'm proud to support DF and the game, people who decide to buy the game later should get the same amount of enjoyment and reward from playing as I do.

I'm not necessarily for/against the idea, but I can tell you now this would not fly on 360/PS3. MS/Sony simply wouldn't allow it. I can't speak for Steam.

Unless of course they are inconsequential in-game things and not explicitly 'Achievements'/'Trophies', then you can do what you like.

I'm not necessarily for/against the idea, but I can tell you now this would not fly on 360/PS3. MS/Sony simply wouldn't allow it. I can't speak for Steam.

Unless of course they are inconsequential in-game things and not explicitly 'Achievements'/'Trophies', then you can do what you like.

I think delaying them till chapter bookends would satisfy those not wanting them popping up in the middle. You can't change the console OS, and honestly even Steam probably reports achievements earned instantly, but the game itself can choose when to invoke these messages.

Wouldn't it be kind of hilarious to finish the final, massive, end credits, only to see a huge MASS of awards start flying up:

"Adventure Complete"

"Time Paradox"

"1up"

"I dont ev-"

"-en know wha-"

"t's going on!"

Things like this are where achievements are great.

I think delaying them till chapter bookends would satisfy those not wanting them popping up in the middle. You can't change the console OS, and honestly even Steam probably reports achievements earned instantly, but the game itself can choose when to invoke these messages.

Well it's up to you when you access the achievement system, you can keep track of the internally and only report them to the achievement system when you want. So you can have them pop-up right away, at the end of a chapter, or even at the end of the game. I know of a couple that have done end of chapter stuff, a lot of the early sports games for example give you them all at the end of the match.

It's just (I assume) a system message, you keep track of the associated statistic yourself and when you want to trigger the achievement you go something like

OnChapterEnd() {

if( DidPlayerGetTheThing() ) {

AchievementAPI.AwardAchievement( achievement_id );

}

}

(I have no clue if AchievementAPI is a thing, it's just an example)

Or alternatively you could check them once a second or something like most games seem to do. You can dole them out however you like, my original post was just pointing out however that MS/Sony would not allow a backer-only extra achievement.

For those who are against achievements but for there being a PSN/XBLA version of the game, please be aware that both Sony and Microsoft require all of their current games to have achievements of some kind.

In that case, how about a single achievement for watching all the credits? (I agree with those who think backer-only achievements are a bad idea, and that this kind of game don't need them either.)

For those who are against achievements but for there being a PSN/XBLA version of the game, please be aware that both Sony and Microsoft require all of their current games to have achievements of some kind.

In that case, how about a single achievement for watching all the credits? (I agree with those who think backer-only achievements are a bad idea, and that this kind of game don't need them either.)

Although not strictly enforced, I believe retail games are supposed to have around 50 achievments.

XBLA games on the other hand must have exactly 12 achievements. This is non-negotiable to my knowledge. Not sure about Sony and Trophies.

Hmm maybe just some small nice backers DLC? or some present codes for backers

to get theme/avatar items of the game for xbox/psn :)

Forget about Xbox or PSN, we are talking about a PC game here. Team Fortress 2 HATS!!!!!

I'd rather not have achievements, I think they're kind of annoying.
Same why do you even need archievements in such a linear game?

And why the game should to be linear? I think it would be very interesting if the game have some decisions with different consecuencies (like The Witcher 2). Different ways to do things, get the user some freedom (like Deus Ex Human Revolution).

And achievements are pretty great. If you don't care you can just ignore them.

I think the game should support all the usual STEAMworks features: achievements and Cloud Support should be mandatory.

Although not strictly enforced, I believe retail games are supposed to have around 50 achievments.

XBLA games on the other hand must have exactly 12 achievements. This is non-negotiable to my knowledge. Not sure about Sony and Trophies.

STEAM don't have such restrictions. It's a great oportunity because maybe developers have very good ideas for funny achievements and restrictions are definitely not good.

And why the game should to be linear? I think it would be very interesting if the game have some decisions with different consecuencies (like The Witcher 2). Different ways to do things, get the user some freedom (like Deus Ex Human Revolution).

This is actually something that made me like Stacking less. I liked that there were multiple solutions, but the internal achievements system made it feel like I was working through a checklist.

If it's on PS3 you can't ignore them because pop-ups cannot be turned off.

If it's on PS3 you can't ignore them because pop-ups cannot be turned off.

DRM Free probably won't have any achievement system. Pop-ups can be turned off on STEAM for PC and MAC. And mobile versions for Android and iOS should be able to turn off popups aswell.

As far as I know there's no console versions yet announced. And achievements ARE mandatory on PSN and XBLA so like it or not there going to be there, you can't choose.

If we were to get Achievements/Trophies, I sure in hell would not want some that make it where backers or content suggesters special Achievements. I feel it isn't fair for those who weren't able to do such. This would be a drag for completionists because then they don't have the same opportunity as others to donate. I do think that backers should get maybe a couple cosmetic items or an item that shows they are a backer in the game.

I backed because I want the game and documentary to be made. If I wanted to feel special I'd try and work hard to create something new and amazing, not show that I gave $15 to someone else who did.

I backed because I want the game and documentary to be made. If I wanted to feel special I'd try and work hard to create something new and amazing, not show that I gave $15 to someone else who did.
Why are we even talking about this? Since when was a console version even announced? making it also a console gmae does mean to dumb down the inventory and control system. And I am pretty sure many people do not even want a diasaster like the telltale games in terms on control.

Wow, so much anti-achievement sentiment. I LOVE achievements. Obviously backer-exclusive types wouldn't work on PSN and 360 because of the controlled environment of such things, but iOS and Steam could easily have something like that I suppose. I don't really care TOO much about exclusives, but yes, please have achievements.

I've never been a fan of achievement but I can see why people like them. I feel they get in the way of the game. People should play the game for the game and for the story. You don't get an achievement when you complete a chapter while reading a book, so why should you get one in a video game? It is an easy, cheap method for game companies to add a lot of play time without adding ANY content. Maybe one achievement right at the end would be cool. Nonetheless, I understand how they can actually be very useful for game designers because it gives them a way to measure players progress in a game. If 90% of players get to the end then they know that have done a good job with the game but if only 25% of players get to the end then they need to figure out where they went wrong and achievements can help figure that out. Either way, achievements or no achievements, I'm sure I will be happy.

Achievements that are unobtainable past a certain point in time are repulsive.

Not everyone cares for achievements but those that do have completionists among them, robbing them of the chance to 100% complete a game just because some people felt the importance of showing off that they are part of an exclusive group is greater than the enjoyment others get out of a game is disgraceful.

Even Blizzard realizes this and classifies achievements that you can't get anymore or simply too rare as a Feat of Strength without points rather than a traditional achievement. Of course on consoles unobtainable achievements aren't that rare with publishers like EA shutting down multiplayer servers but that by itself is a pretty sad affair.

I've never been a fan of achievement but I can see why people like them.

It is an easy, cheap method for game companies to add a lot of play time without adding ANY content.

Please, share, I'd like to hear more about these two.

People should play the game for the game and for the story. You don't get an achievement when you complete a chapter while reading a book, so why should you get one in a video game?
... like I was working through a checklist.

Couldn't agree more. The journey of playing through the game is THE achievement in itself.

I never really cared about achievements in single player games. In multiplayer it can be kind of fun to show off that trophy you got for owning someone in a particular way, but with single player it just isn't the same.

Sign in to follow this