Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Myrtle Dies at the End of Double Fine Adventure!! (and Charlie has a twin!)

NOT ONLY THAT, but the jewel-encrusted teevee remote was the source of Alistair's power THE ENTIRE TIME.

Oh ... sorry. This is the spoiler-free zone, isn't it?

Well, now that the cat's out of the bag, why not post your favourite DFA spoiler before you even know a single thing about the game?

- Ryan

I found the massive temporal paradox caused when Joe decided to go back in time and punch out a T-Rex was an interesting and fun way to conclude the saga, whilst tying up all the dangling plot threads in a satisfying, and plot-hole free manner.

Oh gosh darnit Untoldent, it's bad enough that you JUST SPOILED THE WHOLE GODDARN STORY FOR ME, YOU WORTHLESS PUKEFILLED SCUMBAG, BUT YOU DID IT IN THE GODDAM MOTHERFUCKING THREAD TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mods, could you please remove the spoilers? And ban Untoldent for good measure?

Oh well, at least some people understand how to signpost a spoiler so no innocent soul might accidentally read it. This said, any further lies SPOILER TERRITORY!

So far I'm halfway through and surprised by the flashback where we find out that Joe was once a woman called Josephine. That's a twist I didn't saw coming. But I think he's a much more handsome man, anyway. In hindsight it explains the uncomfortable interaction we saw between Charlie and Joe earlier on. You could tell how harsh their breakup must have been. I liked the scene after the flashback with the multiple choice dialogue where you could be all shouty and mean towards Charlie or try to convince him to make out with your new manly self.

Oh, and the puzzle where you, as Alistair, had to reconstruct a genome of a Tyrannosaurus Rex to clone one must have been the hardest but at the same time most satisfying puzzle complex I've ever encountered in an adventure game. Ever! :)

Hahaha, Untoldent, that sounds kind of legit. Nice job. I'll play along!

About Myrtle dying: I kind of saw it coming. There's a bunch of console games out now where the main character dies in the end. It's become kind of a trend.

By the way: Alistair was incredibly bad-ass, especially during his big reveal and that torture sequence. I think Mark Hamill one-upped his voicework on Full Throttle with this one!

Yeah, Mark Hamill was a good choice for Alistair, but I was kind of disappointed that Simon Pegg's NPC character didn't get the screentime he deserved.

True, but Borrowmeer (love what they did with that name) had the magical girdle of resurrection, so every time he snuffed it, he just reappeared at the spawn point.

I didn't like that they made 6 episodes. After the first 3 I've had enough. But If you would have bought the DLC, you'd know that Myrtle is coming back as a ninja-zombie.

I didn't like that they made 6 episodes. After the first 3 I've had enough. But If you would have bought the DLC, you'd know that Myrtle is coming back as a ninja-zombie.

Could be worse, they could have kept their original plan of 3 additional games about undead Myrtle going into international politics.

Perhaps I'm just hopelessly naive, but I was caught completely off guard when I realized the entire game was really a viral marketing stunt for Tic Tacs new "Mountain Mist" flavor.

Could be worse, they could have kept their original plan of 3 additional games about undead Myrtle going into international politics.

But then how could you tell the difference between a shambling, moaning, slow moving and slow thinking politian and a zombie?

I liked the part where Raz, Eddie Riggs, Charlie Blackmore, Frank Woodruff, Vladimir Farnsworth, Guybrush Threepwood, Ben, Manuel "Manny" Calavera, and of course, Tim Schafer, gather to sing a cover of "We Are The World" entitled "We Are Double Fine".

It was a real tear-jerker.

The butler did it.

In the living room.

With a Three-headed Monkey Ultra Limited Action Figure.

My favorite part about the game is when the game didn't get made for some inexplicable reason ;)

Let's keep that in the unsolved case files of Sam n Max over at Telltale...no need to bring that to Double Fine.

My favourite part was Zaphod Beeblebrox (had to check the spelling on ... a search engine) cameo, where he steals Myrtle's third head and attaches it between his own two and at their wedding ceremony Alistair appears with the T-rex... The mayhem... the laughs... Classic!

I have to say, I disliked that ultimately none of your choices mattered.

For example, I decided early on that the parrot should be sacrificed to the banana god (to get the golden harpoon), but then at the halfway point they went back in ****ing time and caused the parrot to never be born and now my best item disappeared in a puff of logic. GAH!

My favorite part was when 2HB drank the main character under the table and performed an extended acoustic version of 'Smack that bass' on top of the bar.

I liked the part where Raz, Eddie Riggs, Charlie Blackmore, Frank Woodruff, Vladimir Farnsworth, Guybrush Threepwood, Ben, Manuel "Manny" Calavera, and of course, Tim Schafer, gather to sing a cover of "We Are The World" entitled "We Are Double Fine".

It was a real tear-jerker.

I liked this easter egg, but it was really hard to find and a chore to activate, honestly. I mean, clicking a tiny brick in a wall a hundred times? It wasn't even a hotspot!

I'm also surprised that they were able to license all the characters by their respective rights holders. We know how difficult LucasArts can be to deal with, after all. I hope it didn't cost too much money, otherwise I'd feel it was wasted, as good as it was...

When Ron Gilbert threw that evil baby into the sun.

I like those moments when they break the fourth wall. It got all meta when Ron suddenly showed up as a character in-game! It's like when you could call the hint line in Monkey Island 2. That was hilarious! :D

Now having seen the conclusion, I can say that this was honestly a bizarre ride! :gulp:

The whole thing might have lacked cohesiveness, but who cares when so much crazy funny shit is thrown into your direction, one unbelievable twist and story turn after another. Tim and Ron might have played fast and loose with the story, sometimes I was incredulous about what was happening on screen and often the story broke its own rules, but heck, it was worth it, because it was so much goddamn fun! And yeah, I'm still rather sore about the spoiler (screw you, Untoldent, SCREW YOU! With screws! You probably think that screws are hot, you pervert, and are tucking some into your pee hole right now!), but honestly, it didn't matter much because so much was still happening in between and I was kept in suspense about how things were going to play out.

Perhaps I’m just hopelessly naive, but I was caught completely off guard when I realized the entire game was really a viral marketing stunt for Tic Tacs new “Mountain Mist” flavor.

Sure, but that's only true for damn cheapskates like you. If you would have pledged more than 1,000$ then you'd have received an advertisement free edition! It's worth the money I say!

I didn’t like that they made 6 episodes. After the first 3 I’ve had enough. But If you would have bought the DLC, you’d know that Myrtle is coming back as a ninja-zombie.

Well, she (they?) constantly moaned before, so the zombie part fits. When three heads complain about everything to everyone? No wonder all the characters cheered about her (their?) death at the end. I was glad when Zaphod amputated one of her (their?) heads to incorporate it into himself (themselves?). He (they?) seems charming in contrast!

I was kind of pissed when they announced that the events of their T-Rex the Eatening dlc were non-cannon.

I was kind of pissed when they announced that the events of their T-Rex the Eatening dlc were non-cannon.
Oh, don't even get me started on the DLC!

I was fine to just go along and accept that certain quests and plot lines were out of reach for "a damn cheapskate" like me (as Acorino rather aptly describes yours truly), but I thought surely (SURELY!) it was just a joke when Tim and Ron's characters announced, right there in the volcano's core, that the game's ending was DLC. Beyond the pale!

Well, I gotta stick to my principles, so I guess I'll never know if 2HB managed to thwart the plans of the nefarious Georg Lu'sac.

I was surprised with the 3 part ending, each one sort of fitting together with the next one...but you only got to see it all as a whole if you turned the key in the tiki statue's mouth, which was just brilliant.

really $24.99 down the drain

The ending almost made me quit Double Fine games entirely.

I can't believe the entire game was inside the head of an autistic child! I mean, that's just silly.

I think what kinda threw me was the trial of Guybrush Threepwood. I mean it was totally out of left field, and the morbid scene where you walk past hangman's hill with them setting it up was just bad taste.

I know this may ruin the game for alot of people, but I have to say it. The epic ending where Hsurb and Yug dive into the chasm, and shoot the cliff where Dowo and Preeth were standing and the whole avalanche it created made a perfect ending. Also when Tar Unzip and Lili finally "get together" at the end great. :P

Sign in to follow this