• $1-$99
    • $100-$249
    • $250-$499
    • $500-$999
    • $1,000-$2,499
    • $2,500-$4,999
    • $5000-$9999
    • $10,000+

As the title implies, why are you a backer? Is it because you like Double Fine's works? Wanted to be a part of history? The game sounds cool? You wanted a cool T-shirt? Or even you just wanted to play a damn game. Well, why?

As for me, I loved the game Stacking when I tried it out and then heard about this project. I was shaky at first, but when Tim knows how to make great business decisions like hiring orphans, you can't resist to open your wallet. Well, and the fact that I love point-and-click adventure games. So, why did you choose to back? You are also free to discuss how much you donated. Please, don't make this an elitist thread because you donated more or somebody donated less. The thing that matters is that as a community, we raised well over $3.3M USD.

You don't need to make a poll for that, just look at the DFA Kickstarter page. :P

@Fishos - True, but how many of those will actually post here? Usually I like to take it from different perspectives. For example, I know how many donated on Kickstarter, but how many on the DFAF actually donated?

I did it largely because of the promised documentary + rad new DF game combo. I'm sure I would've contributed in some way regardless, but it's the documentary/opportunity to look behind ze curtain that really sealed the deal for me.

Edit regarding quote from OP: "For example, I know how many donated on Kickstarter, but how many on the DFAF actually donated?"

I believe everyone who can access this particular post will be either a backer, someone using a backer's e-mail address, or an admin.

Still, I think it's neat info to collect. :)

I trust Double Fine to do a great job. It's their cup of tea, unlike that of Brütal Legend that while I loved still, wasn't as awesome. I'm glad to support this one, and can't wait to see where it's going. I feel terrible in the end looking at Kickstarter projects because I keep feeling like I'm browsing as a Publisher or Producer. It goes to "Will this project work?", to "Will I like it?, to "Do I trust the person pushing it forward?"

There's a lot of neat ideas and a lot of not-so-neat ideas and I hate saying no to good ideas because they weren't fleshed out enough to build confidence. (Like HCTS.)

Because I am insanely curious to see what Double Fine is capable of with a solid budget and no publisher breathing down their necks limiting their abilities. The studio is well known for its high quality, now lets see what they can do without one hand tied behind their back. I also love the idea of the documentary as game making has always fascinated me.

Every game that I have played is fun and has some risky elements that I don't see in any other game company. I have actually bought 5 copies of brutal legend just so I can have someone to talk to about the game (gifted to family & friends). I really just want another DF game but the documentary is an added bonus.

OOH!! When the documentary DVDs release they should have a special feature that is the game developer's commentary about the documentary about that game developer. YES!

I've been a Tim Schafer fan for many years and I am all too aware of the horrible relationship Double Fine has almost always had with publishers. When Microsoft dropped Psychonauts, Double Fine came frighteningly close to having to shut down. Brutal Legend went through a similar predicament, with Activision dropping it mid-development.

For all the love and care that Tim puts into his games and for all the wonderful support the fans get from Double Fine, I felt like this project is something he really deserves: A chance to make a new game in a genre he (as well as I) loves, and no risk of a publisher negatively influencing the game or pulling support altogether.

Also, this doesn't just involve Tim Schafer, but Ron Gilbert as well. It's an adventure game dream team, which make it that much more awesome.

I backed because I thought it was a great idea. I'm rather new to adventure games, but I love Tim's work I had played in the past, and I figured backing it might be cheaper than buying the actual game when it comes out. Also I was very curious about the development process of a game.

Drunken_Joy, this is a really good idea for a thread.

I hope you don't mind I created a similar thread here but with a poll attached to it that goes into the various reasons that backers may have, instead of the amount of money they've pledged.

I've been a Double Fine fan for years, even before I knew Tim Schafer was even a part of those old adventure games that were before my time. That's why I'm a backer.

mostly it was the documentary stuff, I'm kind of a sucker for seeing how sausage gets made. except in the case of actual, literal sausage. otherwise I probably would have waited and just bought the game when it released.

Played a lot of Tim Schaefer games and still playing Brutal Legend from DF.. curious to see what they can think of now.

Psychonauts is one of my all time favourite games and the chance to not only get a new Double Fine game on PC but also closely watch Double Fine's production process was just too good to pass up.

Beacause I love games and played alot of adventure games growing up. Alot of Tim's games :)

well I played alot of tims and rons games and when I saw that they where about to make a game again I just had to be on the ride to see where it was going.

Tim worded it so nicely in his speech. "Why does a big company get to choose what movies I watch or what TV-shows I watch and what games I get to play".

Double fines track-record is a chain of original games that ooze atmosphere and yet they sell a fraction of the next call of duty. I want to play these games. I wanted to back this project to support this great company.

Besides the old Lucasarts adventure games where great!

Although I feel Grim Fandango is one of the greatest formations of 1's and 0's ever arranged and I've enjoyed a bunch of others, I'm not all that big an Adventure game fan.

What I am is a game fan, I love all kinds and types of games and although I'm able to enjoy First Person Shooters and other genres I feel for Adventure fans because my favourite genres are traditional survival horror, fighting games and CRPGs. So round-about 2001/2003 when they all died out alongside Adventure games I felt like my hobby had been ripped out from under me and although fighters have seen somewhat of a revival the current crop of horror and rpg games are nothing more than glorified shooters/hack'n'slashes, I personally feel my hobby hasn't been the same since. And I wanted to help nudge that back in the right direction.

I gave $100 (and $1000 to wasteland, because Brian Fargo can take everything I own and kick my dog and I would still support him) because I want to see developers I respect, who've been pushed around by publishers for years making the games they want to make. Not necessarily the games I want them to make but that's been a happy coincidence.

The truth is, there wasn't a singular reason. It was this stange mix of nostalgia, yearning for another good adventure game, seeing Tim and Ron helming the project, my own thoughts on the games-as-art thing, and finally the chance to show game developers everywhere that their fans are worth more than their publisher. If only I had more money available, i would also go for the "waggle my enourmous e-penis at the world with my name in the credits", but that, unfortunately, couldn't happen ;) .

I'm backing this project because I love adventure games since I played Maniac Mansion for the first time.

Also, back when I was a kid I didn't have any money (I was just a poor boy, I needed no sympathy. Because I was easy come, easy go) so I pirated* MM, Zak McKracken and many other games for my awesome XT8088. Since I'm not a kid anymore (that's been true for a long time) and considerably less poor than back then, I decided to back this with u$100. Bear in mind that I'm from Argentina, so 100 dollars it's like 10 million of my money, I could buy 11 goats, 3 monkeys, a wife and 3 bottles of Grog with this kind of dough.

*Please don't send 1988 me to prison! He had enough of a rough time with the bad hair and glasses.

Always been a fan of point n click adventures since I was first introduced to them when I was wee (MI2 being the first I ever played in 1994). The idea of Tim Shafer and Ron Gilbert making a new adventure is a fantastic prospect.

Also interested in the process of game development, as I want to get into the industry myself! So the documentary is also of interest to me. Not so much interested about giving input on the design of the game. I don't want to tarnish something that someone is trying to craft with my own silly opinion. Would rather leave that to the experts :P

I loved Monkey Island back in the day (now on iOS) and I really liked the way Stacking was put together. I backed because I love the idea that we can all be patrons to games. The documentary series is going to be worth the price of admission on it's own. Now that I'm keeping an eye on Kickstarter I hope to back at least one game a month just to keep the good vibes flowing. I don't have time to play all the AAA games on steam as it is so I might as well donate to some other games that I may or may not end up playing. Also, I think Tim's a dream-boat.

Because I'm old and nostalgic!

I still play adventure games now and then (Grey Matter for instance) but I miss seeing a really good old school style game.

I actually set out to create my own adventure game with 'Adventure Game Studio' but alas, the partners in crime weren't motivated all that much. Someday perhaps, someday...

Everyone else was doing it. %-P

Seriously though, it's part "history in the making" and part "I want a new adventure game!"

Sign in to follow this