• $1-$99
    • $100-$249
    • $250-$499
    • $500-$999
    • $1,000-$2,499
    • $2,500-$4,999
    • $5000-$9999
    • $10,000+

Monkey Island was one of the first games I remember playing, and it is such a shame to see adventure games dying down, after the under-success of grim fandango (which is one of my favourite adventure games, along with monkey island up to and including 3, and the discworld games). They are so much more interesting than a lot of modern games, making you actually think as well as have fun. I also want to support crowd sourcing as a funding system. Doing a degree in creative media at the moment, and when I finish I would like to think this would be a legitimate option for me to create work, instead of having to go to big studio bosses who will force what I make into something totally different to what it should be. Creative freedom is important in creating work that is worthwhile, as is money. It's the best of both worlds!

The major reason I backed was Tim Schaefer's passion and charisma in the pitch videos.

I ended upping my pledge for the T-shirt and final package because I like collector's editions when they're made and include stuff I want.

I go all the way back with Tim Schaefer and Ron Gilbert and in terms of Gilbert followed him through Humongous Entertainment and Plaid Banana.

I also watched some 2 Player Productions stuff, especially they're Naughty Dog Studios work and admired their editing skills and whatever their charisma/presence allws the people in front of camera to open up. As a documentarian myself, I appreciate that stuff.

All of it together is why I was willing to take a chance on Tim not running off with millions of dollars and saying "What's Kickstarter?"

Both DoubleFimne and 2PP care more about creation and notoriety for that creation than money. Money is what is needed to make things happen. If a barter system worked, they'd do it. I think.

P.S. I would've done $500 for a hardcover book. Hell and more if money wasn't an issue... I feel at least with the book, I'll at least be able to load up the PDF on some kind of portable device and since I own over 10,000 (not an exaggeration) books with more to come every day since I hit thrift stores normally, and go to Book Expo America.

I'd say I donated for any number of reasons. I haven't played a new adventure game for 20 years or so, and I figured it was about time. Additionally, the project sounded super-cool when I first stumbled across it, and I knew I would kick myself if I didn't join in all the fun. Moreover, the documentary and actually being semi-part of the project is kind of mind-blowing, and I'll probably look back at this fond feeling when I am in my 80's. Well, maybe not, but it has potential to be a cool story for a year or more, and really, isn't that what life is all about? An endless stream of cool stories in which you want to participate?

Smiles

I was personally just curious on what they would make.

Something new or would they revive something old? (though I seriously doubt that would happen...)

2 reasons:

Grim Fandango

Full Throttle

Both of those games were extremely fun and amusing. If I can get an experience remotely like either game my 60 bucks was worth it.

I fell in love with Psychonauts and I've been an avid fan of Double Fine since. When I heard about the Kickstarter campaign, I had to at least help them out. Can't wait to see the finished product.

In order of personal importance:

1. The documentary

2. I grew up on 90's adventure and puzzle games

3. Tim Schafer

When I saw that Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert were making a new adventure game, I immediately decided to back the project. Initially, it was 'only' 30 dollars, as just having the game and documentary and access to the forums was enough for me. But the minute they announced the big box would be part of the 100 dollar pledge, I switched to that. I am a collector of sorts and love to have boxed copies of games. The fact that only 10000 copies (give or take a few) will ever exist made it irresistable. :P

Personally, I loved Psychonauts. By which I mean that I've played it 3-4 times.

I also liked Costume Quest, and I really like this initiative that Double Fine is taking. I'm not actually much of a fan of adventure games, but I did want to help this to succeed. It's an excellent precedent which will hopefully be used by others to fund titles that they otherwise may not be able to make.

I missed playing adventure games growing up and was introduced to Monkey Island a few years back. Since then I’ve grabbed Psychonauts among others and gained a real appreciation for the genre. Yet to play Grim Fandango but it's on my list.

I’m glad to help this kind of project. It symbolises not only the return of a great genre, but a change in the industry by removing publishers entirely.

- To help proving that adventure games is not dead and is fully fundable.

- Previous work by Tim and Ron is amazing.

- Hoping to see a path back to improvement of story-telling of games instead of just the graphics.

- I hope to find something that can fill the hole after completing Grim Fandango.

- I enjoy the humour of Tim.

- I am sure the hardcover book will be awesome.

- As a game and software developer I would love to see through the documentary how it is done at Double Fine.

I could find more personal reasons, but I guess the mentioned are the most important reasons.

I'm a backer because a time will come where Monkey Island 1, 2, 3 and Day of Tentacle won't be compatible with the future Operating Systems. So it's time to produce new games with the same lovely experience !!!

I decided to back the project because I was a huge fan of Psychonauts. I had never played anything like it and still think that it is one of the most under played games ever. I honestly haven't really played any adventure games but I was interested to see what Double Fine would come up with. I also really liked the idea that they were going to document the entire process of making the game. And hell, $15 is barely even someones Starbucks budget for a week. When I get some time I will most definitely check out Stacking and Costume Quest.

I've decided to back the project because I think that this is a revolution.

Being able to make a game for fans by fans, without any constraints, is really awesome.

I'm really glad I am a part of a little piece of gaming history :)

Also, I'm a big fan of the insanely intelligent humor of the old adventure games ;)

I'm a fan of Tim Schafer's games. But my main reason? I'm a big fan of the concept of crowdfunding, and I think it's the future. Hopefully not just for entertainment, but for businesses, invention ideas, etc. because this could massively change the way the economy works.

I put money down because I believe in Ron and Tim. I don't think I could list another name who influenced me more as a designer than those two. As for their influence on me, I would even put them above Miyamoto. Although, he comes JUST after these guys.

I think all of the rewards are spectacular. The general swag is awesome, and getting signatures makes it even more of sentimental item. I am also looking forward to the documentary. This will be the big reason most people put money in, a REAL good look into what goes into game development at DF. And lastly, THE GAME! No one could resist a Point-And-Click game by Double Fine!

for me it was basically that Tim/Ron have been responsible for way too much of my free time being eaten up over the years. the moment I saw 'get your name in the credits' I could not get to the signup button quick enough. I knew regardless they'd have no problem getting the funds, but I wanted to be part of that.

all the other stuff added on since then has just been icing on the cake.

edit: omgfirstpost

I'm a backer because I really love these games and I thought that this was a brilliant idea. A Fan funded game. It also sparked more projects which I am really happy about, Brian Fargo's Wasteland 2 for example. It's resurrecting these genres of games. My favorite kind of games. :)

I am backer because I adore the games made by Tim Schafer and the good folks at Double Fine. To help develop one of their games is one of the great honors I could possibly be part of.

I donated for quite a few reasons. First and foremost I donated because I wanted to do my part to show that the adventure genre still had fans out there wanting more from the industry. That being said I don't think I would have donated as much if it weren't for Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert leading the cause. Legitimately I cried tears of joy while watching the original pitch video, I have been waiting for a new Schafer adventure game since playing Grim Fandango behind my mothers back when it came out (everyone smoked in the Land of the Dead and that was a no no). Grim Fandango is still to this day an inspiration to me and when I look back it's the catalyst for most of the things I love (noir films, jazz and bebop), so of course I was going to support a new adventure from Schafer and Gilbert. Also this documentary should be pretty awesome, as well as having my name in the credits, then all the extra stuff thrown on like an old school PC box game? F yeah!!

Because I am an Monkey Island and Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer fan! I LOVE adventure games. I am a game developer myself but I am still interested in seeing the documetary because I love your sense of humor!

I backed for many reasons.

Many years ago Telltale Games was seen as the wizard whom resurrected the Point-and-Click Adventure game and the pioneer (or at least, the only company to ever do it right) of Episodic content. It is no secret that Telltale have been on a steady decline as of late with their recent outings, although to be fair they have made decent games, especially the Sam & Max series. One can attribute this decline with Telltales' decision to move away from traditional Point-and-Click and more towards a 'cinematic' and console friendly direction.

To have not just a new classic Point-and-Click Adventure game but one helmed by Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, arguably two of the best in this industry who no doubt have entertained many of us in the past is nothing short of incredible and exciting. Just as Telltale were once seen as pioneers of the resurgence of the genre, Tim and Ron will do so yet again.

Another reason I backed is due to the documentary. When has there ever been a time where we really got to see the nuts and bolts of video game development, not just a montage of marketing material for collectors' DVDs?

Last reason I'll give is the potential for engine licensing. I've used Adventure Game Studio in the past and was switching between Wintermute and Visionaire Studio for an Adventure game I am planning on making (since 2008/9 to be exact). Each engine is great in their own right although from an animation perspective they seem... lacking in certain areas. If Double Fine (purely hypothetical here) are creating a brand new engine, one similar to SCUMM (we shall call it SCUBA - Scripting Utility for Backers of Adventure), I'll definitely want my hands on it and give Double Fine more money just to do so.

How much did I donate? More than enough... :D

Double Fine + Ron Gilbert + Point & Click Adventure = WIN!

My husband and I both donated inside the first 8 hours, just inside I think. I remember equivocating on whether he should donate $250 (my donation is a $15 one, but we're sharing the spoils and the costs of both donations between us), and then being so glad he did later when those signed posters sold out and (basically, except for teeny, weeny windows) never returned.

I'm looking forward to both the swag and the game itself - oh and the documentary! Love behind the scenes stuff. But also just being part of it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling I like. :)

I'm a frequent backer of indie games and such on Kickstarter and took some time away from that when my fun money got low/wife found out where my fun money was going :D

While I was backing though I would always talk about it with my students and try to explain why a few bucks here and there can mean a whole lot for an indie dev just trying to get a project off the ground. So then I'm taking my break from helping fund and suddenly all of my students are talking about the Double Fine Adventure. Most have no idea what an adventure game is but they all see the amount pledged sky-rocketing and were excited about it.

BOOM!(Headsplosion sound effect)

Adventure game? Double Fine? My students excited about something???

A bit of begging later and my boss pays me back for a one-use Mastercard and here I am. Giddy as a fat kid in a candy store :) So I'm a backer because I love adventure games, because I know Double Fine will do a damn good job on this and because I want my students to benefit from what I see and hear in here(forum, videos, etc)

15$. I'm a backer because I love these adventures. I LOVE Monkey Island, DOTT, Grim Fandango... and Mr. Schafer is always a guarantee of quality.

Thank you guys!

Sign in to follow this