• $1-$99
    • $100-$249
    • $250-$499
    • $500-$999
    • $1,000-$2,499
    • $2,500-$4,999
    • $5000-$9999
    • $10,000+

This is my first post here, and it seems like a fitting topic.

I backed this project because I can't think of any game by Tim Schafer or Double Fine that I haven't loved. Not just enjoyed, but loved. I am really happy that I've had the chance to support them in such a great project. This brings me to my second point, which is that I support this initiative as well. The subject of games being funded by the fans has been brought up many times before, but I've never seen anything as successful as this, and I'm glad I could be a part of what could be gaming history. It'll be great to follow the game from inception to completion and I wish the team all the best luck in creating this game!

sorry for my english.

Im from Argentina and im 29, Monkey Island was the first video game ive ever played, in black and white with a 486 DX4 PC (build in speaker sound) in my friend´s house, and i was inmediatly hooked to video games from that moment.

I remember like it was yesterday when he shows me the game, he was in the kitchen of the scumm bar, at the beggining of the game, i have that mental image and that feeling tatooed to my brain, and it was 20 years ago. I dont have a lot of images that clear from when i was 9 or 10 years old.

That game defines a part of me somehow, from that exact moment im into video games, and i still am.

that is why im a backer and a fan of graphic adventure games

sorry for my english again

Basically? Because The Handful Of DF Games I've Played In The Past Were Hella Fun, And Honestly That's The Kind Of Stuff Publishers Should Be Fighting Against Each Other In Thunderdomes To Get, Not Shun Away In Fear And Numbers. So I Get To Give My Money Directly To Shafer And Co. AND Give The Finger To Those Knife Minded Suit Guys Who Only Want Rehashed Cashcows. Its A Win Win.

To be honest i'm not a fan of the Double Fine games, with the exception of Psychonauts, which i haven't even finished yet.

The reason i backed this is because i'm a fan of the classic adventure games by Time Schafer and Ron Gilbert and i really think this project might turn out great and hopefully show that there still could be a market for "classic" adventure games, especially now that digital publishing is getting more and more popular and is making indie games actually profitable.

I backed the project because it's easy to say "there should be this game or that game" and it's another thing to do something about it. I am a big believer in the direct market for video games. So much gets lost in the huge companies and things like kickstarter and the humble bundle help take away the middle man.

I'm a backer because Adventure Games rock, and Double Fine rock, and Tim and Ron are just legends, so hell, I'm more than happy to give them money to do something brilliant.

I support adventures in the style of the classics of the great Golden Era. Everything since has been mind-numbingly boring, lifeless, and easy. With Tim and Ron at the helm of an old-school adventure again, I hope to see a return to roots.

And they both together have a fantastic sense of humour.

Brutal Legend was so awesome and so perfect in every way - I'll gladly back anything else Double Fine wants to do, just because I love Brutal Legend.

I donated for 3 main reasons:

1. The genies of previous DF games, like Psychonauts. Psychonauts is the best platform game I have EVER played. Period. And I grew up playing a ton of platformers. Psychonauts is the game that introduced me to Double Fine.

2. Anything made by Tim Schafer is guaranteed to be great. The Monkey Island series is amazing, and as this is going to be a point-and-click, just as Monkey Island was, I have no doubt it will be just as good.

3. I’m currently majoring in Game Design in college, so the opportunity to take part in something like this was a chance I just could not miss.

Tim introduced me to gaming and it was something that my father and I did together while he was home (during the 90's with the Gulf War and a bunch of other little things he was gone a lot) and we both thoroughly enjoyed most Adventure Games. Because of Day of the Tentacle it broadened to the Quest games (Kings/Police) and grew large to start incorporating more games.

I mostly backed though because I want to see the documentary. I'm 24 now and have done my own military service and am now going back to school in order to get a degree in Computer Science. I want to see the behind the scenes of how a game studio like DoubleFine operates while at the same time getting a better grasp about how game design/development works. I'm close to graduating with the degree in Computer Science and while I know a good amount of C, C++, Java I've been thinking about doing a small game project over the summer in hopes that I could put it on a resume and get a job in the industry.

(I also threw down 100 because I want that sweet old-fashion box that I can give to my dad)

I've been following Double Fine for a long time -- less of a radical fan now, but they are still the company that inspired me to make games. I also love adventure games. How could I -not- have given money? Already, their success has done a lot of good.

Although I didn't really grow up with the point'n'click adventure games I've always enjoyed the genre. I've also enjoyed every single Double Fine game, so I'm confident this project will be fun to play when it's finished.

Why? Because of hate man-child!

Nah, not really. I'll repost what I put in those more public forums:

Just like many others have also said, I grew up on the old adventure games, Monkey Island, Space Quest, Zak McKraken, etc. I also want to see developers have the chance to make the games they want to make without publishers breathing down their necks and to break the control publishers have over the industry (I’m under no delusion that we’ll achieve that of course), and I believe that Double Fine can make something worthwhile if given the chance. A return to the old adventure games of old seem like an appropriate choice for this kind of endeavour.

I loved Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert's previous point + click adventures. I also love all of the double fine games that I own. I really wanted to get a physical copy of the game and hold onto it as a collectors item being that I don't own physical copies of day of the tentacle, grim fandango, or full throttle, and I feel like I'm missing out.

the phyiscal copy will be somewhat limited, so maybe it will be worth something tho I'm sure I wouldn't wanna part ways with it.

Double Fine know how to make a good game, and if I can help them do it, then so much the better.

I'm a huge fan of Psychonauts. It'll forever be my favourite game I played on Xbox.

To hear that Ron is back to help Double Fine with a game in the genre he and Tim helped define was amazing and I can't wait to discover what they produce.

For me it was a mixture of great confindence in Tim and Ron Gilbert (what with their phenomenal pedigree), interest in the documentary (I think all the time about trying to develop my own games, and I see this as perhaps a compliment to the upcoming "Indie Game: The Movie," which everyone should be super excited about), and also I wanted to particpate in this historic moment and send a message to publishers.

But on top of that, I also just felt like Tim and Double Fine really deserved it. Double Fine's been making consistently great games for a while now and I just don't feel like they're getting rewarded enough for it. So I wanted to send a message to Double Fine as well.

Well, there's a couple reasons on my part. Major publishers, especially US-based publishers, pass up the best new ideas in favor of the same ol' same ol' because it sells. I can only imagine that they're kicking themselves after seeing how much DFA raked in with the Kickstarter.

That isn't the biggest driving point for me, however. I contributed because I fell in love with the point-and-click genre with Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis when I was... damn, I can't remember how old I was. Anyway, as time passed I had come across many more amazing point-and-clicks, from Beneath a Steel Sky, to the Monkey Island saga, and even the Ace Attorney series. There aren't many games left that dare to make the player think; dare to make them experiment. And all the while, the point-and-click delivers a narrative much better than any morality-based RPG or wartime FPS can ever hope to achieve. Can't let that genre just vanish in a puff of smoke.

I backed it because I absolutely love Monkey Island and a project that wanted to make an old style point and click game with both Tim and Ron involved was just too good to be true.

It was a very simple decision for me. I knew it was very likely I would buy the game when it was released, and I realized if I backed the project I would also get an entertaining and informative documentary out of it. So it was a no-brainer.

The followup question is, how did I know I would buy it when it was released? Simply because I love classic adventure games and specifically the ones by Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert that transported me to these other worlds that I actually enjoyed being in with characters I enjoyed virtually hanging around with. As I've grown older I find that this style of game-making is fading away in favour of action and cinematic gameplay, so it will be great to go back to it.

I originally was interested in the game (I can't pass up a new adventure by Tim Schafer with input by Ron Gilbert!) and the documentary. I upped my pledge because of the old school big box and the digital art book. :)

For all the wrong reasons, basically "i like adventure games" and "I liked the adventure games made by tim shafer" and "I am a sucker for backing artistic things via these kickstarter/bandacamp/thingamjig sites"

A few reasons, I guess. To promote change in the gaming industry, because Double Fine/Tim Schafer has a decent track record for fun games, a few of the backer prizes interested me, for the sheer hell of it....any of those.

Sign in to follow this